scrap refining

I

illumi

Reaction score
ive tried many listed above, Scientific Metals the best hands down.

I second Scientific Metals. We switched this year and the returns have been consistently great.

A heads up some of the other well known companies we have tried have an Accountability Charge which can be greater than the refining fee. Example for gold 10% and palladium 20% before the 10% refining fee. So on palladium, the payable weight is 80% of the melted weight and THEN they take off 10% refining fee. All said and done, their total charge on gold is 19% and palladium 28%. I prefer no sales reps and higher payout.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Heraeus Scrap all the way. You will not find a higher return then them. Ask your current refiner to see there operation and watch them squirm. Most of these smaller companies just use the larger refiners so they are paying less money to you the lab.

In the US, there are only 3 end refiners. All other 'refiners' here have to send to one of these companies to do anything with the metal aside from hold onto it, they just ship in bigger batches than we do. Heraeus is one, but i cant remember the other two. One of them gives out 3x5 carpets with their name on it, but one the other I've no idea right now.

However, our boss like Star of the UK.

Last edited:
Tom Mappin

Tom Mappin

Reaction score
A heads up some of the other well known companies we have tried have an Accountability Charge which can be greater than the refining fee. Example for gold 10% and palladium 20% before the 10% refining fee. So on palladium, the payable weight is 80% of the melted weight and THEN they take off 10% refining fee. All said and done, their total charge on gold is 19% and palladium 28%. I prefer no sales reps and higher payout.

Again I say that this is yet another reason that Atlantic came into existence. We thought it was time to end the shell games. We charge a flat 10% across the board and the only other fee is $25 for the assay. There's no accountability fee here. The entire process is completed right under our roof. We have a full service assay laboratory and we digest and extract elemental metals at pure levels >99%.

Check out our website and do some research and perhaps do some comparison shopping. I know you'll all be impressed.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Has anyone used Ivoclar? They claim to charge 5% with no other fees.

E

Elab

Reaction score
Run like Hell! They don't even do it on sight. They send it out to 3rd party. They are also very private about who it is. This brings up a lot of bad memories because my butt is still sore and I prefer not to think about it any more. Just don't.....don't.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Scrap is very difficult to really know if your getting a fair deal. I tend to send it to whom I buy my metal from as I feel they are more interested in keeping me as gold customer and would not risk loosing that end of the business by screwing me with a scrap return. But, it has definitely happened to me. In addition, I try to stay away from companies that do a lot of advertising and have aggressive sales staff pushing for refining business. These expenses are all taken out of you lots. I would rather not publicly name the company that took me for a ride. If you want to know just PM me.
I have used Atlantic and believe they are very good.

jthacke3

jthacke3

Reaction score
We've been thrilled with Jensen, Ivoclar, and Argen. I like the way Jensen communicates with you and does a good job as to what to expect and when. Last time we tried to get coin from Argen their premium was WAY over spot. With gold in a bit of a slump, alloy companies with coin inventory will have overpaid for their stock and it makes more sense to take the check and simply buy it on your own. Do your research.

user name

user name

Reaction score
This has been beat to a pulp in another thread some time back. For a short summation of that: Jensen doesn't pay for your silver and was one of the most problematic with most complaints of being screwed. The most favorable votes I believe went to Bonner. There are good and bad reviews for every company, but currently the winner for lowest fees seem to be coming from Heraeus. I see that Atlantic has a voice on here, and I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try if youre shopping. Ive tried most. If you need a tip...do better at collecting your scrap. After I had my stuff picked up and ready to send in, I showed my youngest daughter what I was turning into cash. She spent a couple hours detailing the shop and I sent in her stash that would have just been lost...700 bucks I think she got.
If Garfield would just send me the money they spend for postage on junk mail Id be happy.

Tom Mappin

Tom Mappin

Reaction score
Scrap is very difficult to really know if your getting a fair deal.

You are correct Bob. However, there is a way and it's not too difficult either.

We at Atlantic are former lab owners and technicians, and sons of a 50-year retired CDT Don Mappin. So we understand full well how difficult and worrisome trusting someone with thousands of dollars worth of valuable dirt really is. When Don Jr. started Atlantic he didn't have all the equipment to completely refine and verify analysis. He had to rely on the same things that lab owners need to rely on today, namely excellent record-keeping, standardized procedures, multiple testing sources, and most importantly, vigilance.

I am actually in the process of writing a white paper on how best to test refiners. There is science behind it and once you understand the science you'll be better armed to find the refiner for you. One thing is certain, you will need to experiment. I would be happy to share the white paper here when it is finished if anyone would like it.

A

AL1

Reaction score
Got a cold call from bonner metals to refine scrap, anybody know or have used them?
They said they where running a special 97% return on gold

user name

user name

Reaction score
Theyre the one of the best Ive used.

A

AL1

Reaction score
Cora says they charge $49 dollars per refined oz everyone else is a flat 10%
if my math is right the $49 an oz is better.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Cora says they charge $49 dollars per refined oz everyone else is a flat 10%
if my math is right the $49 an oz is better.

Plus an assay fee? Sounds like fuzzy math.