Ridge Lap over Implant

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was told a long time ago that creating a ridge lap on a crown to improve esthetics (improve emergence profile) on an implant was a big time contraindication (hygiene). Is this true or are there scenarios where it is ok?

Thanks

C

charles007

Reaction score
Do you not have soft tissue material on the model/impression to scan to guide you with your design ?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
It can be avoided with proper planning (tissue training)...

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I keep getting told to overlap and I don't feel good about but I'm an unskilled monkey so whatevs

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was told a long time ago that creating a ridge lap on a crown to improve esthetics (improve emergence profile) on an implant was a big time contraindication (hygiene). Is this true or are there scenarios where it is ok?

Thanks

I believe it to be mandatory for most cases where a guide is defined as someone who sells cookies at your door.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
avoid it if possible.
eventually the tissue receeds and we are left with a food trap. blam!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I have done this at the Drs request, but try to avoid it, a tiny clinical tooth is IMO better than a porcelain hook in your mouth

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I don't like the look of it but I have had to redo some crowns because they weren't ridge lapped. This is especially true when an implant is tissue level and placed slightly lingual to the other teeth. In order to achieve proper occlusion, the buccal has to be brought out facially. Unfortunately this causes an undercut area on the buccal side of the crown creating a food pack situation at the gingival area. The only remedy is the ridge lap at this point. I cringe at doing them this way but it seems to solve the immediate problem and that's what the doctor ordered.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I don't like the look of it but I have had to redo some crowns because they weren't ridge lapped. This is especially true when an implant is tissue level and placed slightly lingual to the other teeth. In order to achieve proper occlusion, the buccal has to be brought out facially. Unfortunately this causes an undercut area on the buccal side of the crown creating a food pack situation at the gingival area. The only remedy is the ridge lap at this point. I cringe at doing them this way but it seems to solve the immediate problem and that's what the doctor ordered.
Agreed. Im doing one exactly like that right now.

There was no diagnostic wax up either. Coincidence?

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I hope some of you are never ask by "THE DENTIST" to put a little Dimethylmercury under the ridge lap on an implant crown.

Damn I'm happy I no longer need to work for those educated beyond their intelligence anymore.

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
Ridge lap? I call it the 10 day rule. If placed ( by Dr.and accepted (by pt.),doesn't matter what it looks like down the road. To them. Sad to say it seems we are the only ones that care enough. And all the training we get to do it the right way goes out the window .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
To control the quality of the work you do you must control the quality of who you work for.

Never said it was easy but its doable.

Putting ourselves in a position to answer a question with "I was just following orders" is just abdicating our responsibility.

This is one of the reasons we can not be considered professionals.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
To control the quality of the work you do you must control the quality of who you work for.

Never said it was easy but its doable.

Putting ourselves in a position to answer a question with "I was just following orders" is just abdicating our responsibility.

This is one of the reasons we can not be considered professionals.
That's a big idea you're wielding in that phrase. I hope it is intended only to apply to our little world?
I ask as by that reasoning all Pharmacists, Pharmacy Techs, LPNs and RNs are ...?

Granted, if they got scripts with as much detail missing as we see from time to time they would read roughly

"Give the patient a sedative"
by order of Dr. I. M. High

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
One item that would eliminate a lot of the problems is the surgical guide. If this were a required part of doing any implant surgery, the final outcome would be greatly improved. This "free-hand" stuff just doesn't cut it.

I myself am looking into providing these for my accounts who are placing implants. When you can pre-plan the position of the implant while seeing a 3d image of the tooth position, tissue, bone, and opposing teeth, it makes everything better. It may not be a required part of the clinical protocol today, but I believe it will be not to far down the road. I know I wouldn't want an implant placed on me without using one.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I have seen plenty of poorly positioned implants using guided surgery. Guides are not the answer to all the problems faced utilizing implants.
Diagnostic work ups allow all involved to see the challenges that must be met. Full DX in occlusion an proper function gives the opportunity
to see the possible outcome and make the best decisions regarding placement before a scalpel is even picked up.

"Free-hand" is for ego maniacs and old dogs who can't learn new tricks. Times are changing for surgeons as well, not just technicians and clinicians.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I have seen plenty of poorly positioned implants using guided surgery. Guides are not the answer to all the problems faced utilizing implants.
Diagnostic work ups allow all involved to see the challenges that must be met. Full DX in occlusion an proper function gives the opportunity
to see the possible outcome and make the best decisions regarding placement before a scalpel is even picked up.

"Free-hand" is for ego maniacs and old dogs who can't learn new tricks. Times are changing for surgeons as well, not just technicians and clinicians.

Never said it was the answer to "all"...but it does get the clinician a lot closer to the ideal target zone. It's definitely a tool that isn't utilized near enough.

Top Bottom