Resins will dominate the future

• Thread starter PavlosPamborides
  • Start date
PavlosPamborides

PavlosPamborides

Reaction score
Composites are flexible, repairable, esthetic, easy to make, can bond on metal or Zr.
Has their time begun?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yep, and the earth is still flat and I still do PFM's after being told I didn't need learn them 20 years ago. There is always going to be the next big thing on the horizon, and it very well may be composites...makes sense, if you send someone in space in a composite box, should be able to make teeth with them. As for dominating the future, doubt it, what I see is Docs have more choices of materials for specific issues their patients walk in the door having. I actually see in my lab a pretty much even demand across the board. Sure some months we may do more full zirconia, but next month its PFM's or E.max. Been like this for the last few years. The only thing I've seen different is more demand on a lab that can do something with the intra oral digital scan from the Doc and implants.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Too many stressed out people these days,especially Americans ( Bill's wife).

Resins won't hold up to 4 more years of Democratic rule and we may get a ****wad running this country too.

My money is on cheap rock solid crowns that will hold up to clenching when the carbon taxes kick in here.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I still remember hearing Resins are the future of c&b and will replace porcelain,, yep, that was said in the 70"s, 80"s and 90"s.
For the past 3 years I thought zirconia would rule the world but I'm seeing pfms and gold crowns come in every week. The last 2 + year there were months and months of me being metal free. Now I'm seeing pfms /full coverage and with metal occlusals, fcg, pfz, fcz and pfz with zir occlusion and the FCZ crown being the #1 dominate seller, and we all know why...FCZ is always priced Lower,,,,,,,,,,
Us dumb lab techs made the mistake of pricing the most prescribed crown on the wrong end of our pricing menu. The fcz crown will never need to be replaced because of breakage or chipping and we sell it dirt cheap using equipment that takes years to pay for...... Shame on us......... Banghead

Getting back to the idea Resins will dominate. I think that idea came from the idea its so easy to repair. Now we use materials like zirconia and emax that don't break or chip.
I agree with Rob, doctors now have the choice of using many materials and having the choice of using what's best for the patient, or what materials lowers their lab bill like using fcz or buying into Cerec and milling in-house to not have a lab bill.......
I do see the future of Cerec doctors using new resin types of materials to shorten milling time and no oven firing needed.

Last edited:
PavlosPamborides

PavlosPamborides

Reaction score
I am not saying that resins are dominating, just asking if that's the trend for the future. Resins are not only easy to repair but seem to be the more sensible choice of material to put against a natural tooth.
But what makes me think is the ease with which we can achieve excellent results as technicians, without investing in ovens and milling machines and all that. CAD/CAM manufacturers seem to be getting it, hence the new "easy to mill" resin-based materials. Why don't we? We can bond composites on metal or zr and be much more productive than with ceramic materials.
Why do we choose to make an emax veneer instead of a composite one that can be layered as well?
I am assuming of course that with correct preps and correct framework design the composites won't break.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Pavlos, the reason I would not want to use resins at this time is its not a long lasting material and doctors use resins all the time. How can we compete with a material that our accounts can buy and get the same results.
I do think the next generations of materials like Vita's Enamic and Lava Ultimate will influence the materials we use in the future.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Resins are big in europe today. Americans view is skewed a bit because it died off here years ago. I dont see it making a comeback.. it will take awhile for the docs to digest all the bruxzir that has been crammed down their throat. If it doesnt pass the hammer test, then its not 'Merican.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Im going to a course at the end of the month about new castable or millable composite materials for doing those full arch implant frames then putting individual emax on top.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Im going to a course at the end of the month about new castable or millable composite materials for doing those full arch implant frames then putting individual emax on top.
Are thet PEEK based materials?

PavlosPamborides

PavlosPamborides

Reaction score
Resins got a bad name all over the world because of what dentists remember or still see in mouths today from the '80s and then we had the big flops like ArtGlass and Targis-Vectris...
The question is: are today's composites long lasting enough? I'm thinking why not build up composite over my metal framework instead of ceramic?
My experience with Bicon's IAC shows that you can get great results if you stay within specs...

PavlosPamborides

PavlosPamborides

Reaction score
Intersting!Which one? I have only heard of Bredent's HPP over here...

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Yes peek base for screw retained.
Phil Reddington and Lee Mullins from the UK will be here for a two day course.

Material not FDA approved for US yet but they are doing a ton of cases over seas.
I want to be ready for when its approved here

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Pavlos, the reason I would not want to use resins at this time is its not a long lasting material and doctors use resins all the time. How can we compete with a material that our accounts can buy and get the same results.
I do think the next generations of materials like Vita's Enamic and Lava Ultimate will influence the materials we use in the future.
cmon charles really how can you say that.

lets take Zirconia as a prime example of why the statement "How can we compete with a material that our accounts can buy and get the same results." is arguably a long way off.

1. design. while it is true the CAD systems we use make it easier to do this, it does not guarantee that every case will come out looking amazing. good designs reflect the dentist ability to prep and scan properly. poor results follow poor prep and case planning.

2. machining. zirconia is easy to machine sure, but acceptable results are as different between labs as the noses on our faces. everyone might use a dwx 50 for good results but the difference comes when that dwx is driven by sum3d or delcam and consequently will get different milling times, different bur life, different number of units per block, all kinds of things. all of these are operator based. skill based. even in our small and highly automated CNC operations it still takes skill to get good results.

3. finishing. everybody has their own secret sauce. this alone categorically dismisses any notion that everyone can get similar results. this also highly depends on the techniques applied post sinter in grinding/polishing.

4. pricepoint and acceptable profit margins. no, not everyone who mills zirconia can afford to sell them at 99$ per unit. certainly not everyone can make them within an acceptable cost base line to make 99$ crowns profitable. here is where it takes skill again. where and how to accelerate, cut corners, or make improvements.

the only point i am trying to make is that the resin of the future that everyone will use - might be as skill intensive as zirconia. not everyone will get the same results. many will easily dismiss it, just as so many dismiss zirconia - i'm sure youve heard it or said it yourself. "i wouldn't want it in my mouth" but we turn around and sell it anyway.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with your points above, but I don't see resins being widely prescribed anytime soon except for implant cases, used as a faster milling material, and used on younger patients. (I shouldn't have used the statement competing with doctors with resins.) We all know lab made emax is superior to Cerec doctors using emax in-house. Doctors want to use materials for everyday c&B that don't need tuneups as they age. If labs sold 3m Ultimate at $99.00 I don't think doctors would prescribe it over $99. FCz for regular cases.
There are a long list of advantages to use resins and they look beautiful in the mouth, but I don't think it will replace emax, zirconia or porcelain anytime soon. Printing crowns with ? materials, who knows ?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Nano composites need to be monolithic to maintain their flexural strength. If you start to cut them back, you weaken the material and add labour costs.
They are a great interm or long term temp material or better used for non vital cases.
They are also better used for implant /hybrid crowns but not as good for conventional c&b.

They have their place but are not a replacement.

I am less enthusiastic about Lava Ultimate today than I was last year.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
What about plaque retention?