repairs for Identica or DOF scanners

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
Anyone have info on how durable these scanners are? What repairs can I expect once I have purchased the scanner. What usually breaks? Is there a yearly service call required? I'm trying to anticipate the cost of maintaining the equipment.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Iv'e owned an Identica blue and now a hybrid . Never had a problem with them . The new ones have a full two year coverage . I heard the older models could have problems with the light going out but they say the lighting systems are a lot better now .

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
so, are we talking years of operation for a small lab with no issues? I'm hoping to get 15 years out of it.:)

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Iv'e owned an Identica blue and now a hybrid . Never had a problem with them . The new ones have a full two year coverage . I heard the older models could have problems with the light going out but they say the lighting systems are a lot better now .

Exactly the same here Medit....not a problem with either one. If by chance you would have a problem and have to send it in for repair , they will overnight a loaner for you to use.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
DOF Freedom HD here. Initial issue with a connector- DOF Korea sent me the part nda from Korea and I had it in less than18 hours later. Not sure how they did it. Internals are easy to access, other than calibration no maintenance. No fees beyond what everyone pays for software upgrades. My reseller is very quick to respond, so no complaints. Projected life of unit? 3-5 years of useful life, after that obsolete probably. Small lab, so it matters.

By all reports the 2 units are comparable in almost every way, it's just who you want to work with and which scanner design you like. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
who is your reseller?

Maybe I don't buy a scanner, just the exocad software. That way I can start accepting digital files from chairside scanners. Who can I talk to to get advice on best course of action for a small lab to participate in the digital era?

Last edited:
ChrisBWJ

ChrisBWJ

Reaction score
The weak link on structured light scanners like the DOF and Medit scanners is the projector. Far and away the most common cause of failures. I know of one lab that had issues with first generation scanners with table motors burning out, but they ran brass articulators on every case. That type of failure isn't surprising.

Today's NEW scanners from both companies are using LED based projectors which have significantly higher MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) rating than the original conventional projectors. I don't have exact numbers, but for example, the conventional projectors may have an expected lifetime in the 2000-4000 hour range. With the LED projectors, that could easily hit 18,000 to 20,000 hours.

From have seen personally and heard from many labs is that reliability has not been an issue with these scanners, particularly the latest generations of them.

Top Bottom