Questions about Milling Abutemnts, Aftermarkets, etc.

T

tonester

Reaction score
I'm not looking to cheat my docs or give them inferior products. I'm looking at scanners and many offer their own abutment design and aftermarket milled abutments for the most popualr implants, such as Glidewll does. You purchase the scan body platforms from who you bought your scanner from.

For example: you own a 3 shape scanner from Glidewell loaded with their Inclusive abutments and have their scan body platforms. Or any other scanner with aftermarket implant stuff.

Especially if you own a mill from the same provider, When you receive a doc's request for an abutment to fit a Biomet, Zimmer, etc. implant....do you make your own (aftermarket abutment that your scanner and mill provider provides) such as Glidewell Inclusive or do you give the doctor a choice?

If you give them a choice, I'm assuming it would be the choice in a price difference... Glidewell Inclusive being a lesser price abutment and the manufacturers abutment being a higher price???

I also understand that you may void the warranty of the implant with an aftermarket abutment?

Excuse my ignorance, but I was looking at a Glidewell and B & D 3 Shape scanner that come with their own scan bodies as a good benefit in making abutments in house with their mill, but if the implant warranty is void this makes me wonder why you would use the Glidewell Abutments as an example.

Right now I'm assuming protocol is communicating before hand with doc and giving them the choice: 1.)aftermarket market abut. (milled in house )for less and though unlikely of failure a possible loss of warranty of implant. 2.) Abutment milled by manufacture of implant with full warranties and a higher cost of the in house milled abutment.

I don't have any of this stuff yet and forgive my ignorance. Just researching issues beforehand and would like to know your protocol. Curious how Glidewell handles the warranty issue???

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi
Implant warrantees are way overrated. Implant success rates are way up in the high 90% range. Regardless as to who make the abutment. This is obviously based on providing an abutment that has the correct fit to the implant.
In fact, I think implant abutments designed by dental technicians are superior to those being designed by the implant companies. As far as the warrantee goes, you could charge the same for the after market component as the implant companies abutment and provide a similar guarantee. It's only going to cost you a few percent of your overall implant volume.
In conclusion, tell your dentists that you will provide a superior design with the same guarantee for the same money and everyone's happy:)
B

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I have used Atlantis custom abutments to restore over 300 abutments in the last 3 years. The market I work in is dominated by Straumann. We own a Straumann Etkon scanner, but I don't use that scanner to make my custom abutments unless the doctor specifically asks for it(by the way, does anyone want to buy at Etkon scanner). The quality of the Atlantis abutment is superior to the Straumann Etkon abutment in my opinion and if I had the choice of which to put in my mouth, it would be an Atlantis abutment every time. Straumann has been very aggressive about telling doctors that they will void their implant's warranty if another company's abutment is used in their implants. Atlantis will honor the warranty on any implant where their abutment is used.

The key is to communicate with the doctors. Present them with the choices. Offer your advice when asked. Atlantis has demonstrated to me that they will stand by their products, which gives me the confidence to recommend their abutments to my doctors.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Glidewell. Get their scanner and send them your abutment designs.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Hi
Implant warrantees are way overrated. Implant success rates are way up in the high 90% range. Regardless as to who make the abutment. This is obviously based on providing an abutment that has the correct fit to the implant. B

I agree with Bob on this. Anyway, the chances of the abutment failing is much greater than the implant failing. If the implant does fail I don't think any manufacturer is going to pay for the surgeon's time involved with replacing or removing the implant, just the cost of the implant itself. Wow, what a benefit!

Top Bottom