Production Pay for Hand Waxers

A

a3dl

Reaction score
Ok so here is the deal; we have a lab of 10-15 people. I need to know how much lab owners out there are paying hand waxers. Our business structure is incentive based and I need to get a good idea of how much a production pay/unit coping, cvc, and crown under partial is worth for a good waxer? Right now we are paying $6.50/coping to our hand-waxers.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
...being called a hand waxer is not much incentive to me.

A

a3dl

Reaction score
...being called a hand waxer is not much incentive to me.

Well thats what their job postition is b/c we have casters and finishers and also cad/cam so there is not much else they do other than wax copings, cvc, and full contour press.

B

BruceQuality

Reaction score
We are a production lab and our waxers are also finishers and two also work with CAD/CAM.

How many units a day on average do each of your waxers complete? Going by the numbers I see here, it sounds like $6.50 a unit might be a good wage, depending upon locale and amount of work.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
wow, 6.50 per coping?
Okay, so say I do 60 copings a day (which equates to 7.5 copings an hour).
That is 390 dollars a day. Can I come work for you?
390 dollars times 5 days a week = 1950 per week times 4 weeks = 7800 times 12 months =
93,600 for a annual salary. You're one heck of a boss!!!!!!!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I imagine that would be a great job if you had that type of volume.

I would guess a few Domestic labs could offer unlimited units to a tech but the majority could never ever provide that type of volume. I would bet my last dollar that glidewell is no where near $6.50 a unit for a dip/support/seal wax up.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We do it for $6.95/unit and people pay that? (Digital patterns)

Some labs pay us to go ahead and cast/finish for $14.95.

Sound about right to me. I have waxed up to 60 units in a day, but it almost killed me over at Great Impressions.... I'd say the avg. units a day for most employees is around 30, no matter how much you try to get them to produce.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Rob is that doing the work under a microscope?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Rob is that doing the work under a microscope?

margins only.....
and hey, I wasn't really referring to me, but I use to work with a lady who did it on a daily basis 55-60 copings a day under the microscope.
I hung out around 40 a day myself, but even at 40 a day, that's a hell of a salary when everything is added up.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
I cant imaging receiving 60 units a day. lol