pressing emax

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
i want to get stared pressing full countour emax in the posterior
can i use my 200 gram silicone rings and disposible plungers(authentic)
has anyone tried this or should i go with all ivoclar products
times are a little tight and trying to go a little leaner when ordering supplies
mircostar or galaxy investment ok to use with emax

thank you

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
yes you can, but will need the larger sized plungers - Jensen has them-, the microstar hs works too

A

AL1

Reaction score
Microstar works great for emax, thats all I use. When you can its nice to use the Ivoclar emax ring, base, plunger and the stuff you dip the plunger in. I dont use the leveling caps anymore, I mark the inside of the Ivoclar ring where the ridge is with a red pen, fill up to that line then I just put the ring on a flat level surface then put a piece of sandpaper on the table and lightly sand off any ridge put in oven. I don`t get any voids like I used to when using the leveling cap.

doug

doug

Reaction score
AL1, that's a great idea, I'm gonna use that tomorrow. I hate the bubbles we get on the tops. Always make me worry that the ring will tip when the pressing starts.

A

AL1

Reaction score
I used to have that fear but no more. Post your results.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
i want to get stared pressing full countour emax in the posterior
can i use my 200 gram silicone rings and disposible plungers(authentic)
has anyone tried this or should i go with all ivoclar products
times are a little tight and trying to go a little leaner when ordering supplies
mircostar or galaxy investment ok to use with emax

thank you

you can use the 100 & 200 gram silicone sleeves but as others have mentioned, make certain you have the e.max sprue bases and the correct diameter plungers. if you use the disposable plungers be 100% sure they are for e.max! if not, opt for the reusable plungers from ivoclar and the plunger separator powder. the microstar investment will also work. if you do not have the correct set-up you will have mispressings.

amadent

amadent

Reaction score
Thanks for the input and advice guys- I ordered emax with all ivoclar products
I am going to use the mircostar investment
Will post some pics after i complete my 1st few cases

This site is such a great avenue for advice and info

Greg Amendola MDT

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"This site is such a great avenue for advice and info"

roger that

A

AL1

Reaction score
I use yeti die lube with microstar. Make sure you use the lube very thin. I get no bubbles and very clean pressings and castings. I also dont vibrate very much and I dont use debubblizer.
I let gravity fill, pour at a moderate rate and hold the investment about 10 inches or so high and let the investment pour in a very thin rope like appearance, this squeezes any bubbles that might form from pouring.

amadent

amadent

Reaction score
i have my 1st few paterns ready to press in emax
is anyone pressing in a Zubler vario press 300
if so can you share your pressing program
thank you

amadent

amadent

Reaction score
got the answer to my own ?
emailed a buddy of mine and this is what i got

200 gram ring using emax plunger

entry temp 700'c
rate 60'c per min
high temp 910'c
hold time 24 mins
max press time 10 min

N

nzbroadbean

Reaction score
I had to cut down a emax ingot because I accidently invested in a empress ring rather than e-max...oops. It worked fine but was a hastle... haven't done it again.

amadent

amadent

Reaction score
has anyone used the disposable plungers from Vacalon?

T

thewhitelab

Reaction score
No, but to be honest i have had my 4 plungers for 4 years now and press everyday so have never felt the need too try?
one trick i have been shown is to mark the length of the plunger on the pressed ring then cut down to it carefully, then breaking off the plunger leaving it still embedded in investment, then using pliers twisting plunger thus leaving any flash stuck to investment rather than to the plunger....sorry, probably clear as mud.

amadent

amadent

Reaction score
No, but to be honest i have had my 4 plungers for 4 years now and press everyday so have never felt the need too try?
one trick i have been shown is to mark the length of the plunger on the pressed ring then cut down to it carefully, then breaking off the plunger leaving it still embedded in investment, then using pliers twisting plunger thus leaving any flash stuck to investment rather than to the plunger....sorry, probably clear as mud.

no i understand what your are saying, thanks, i only have 2 plungers so i guesss i should be good for atleast 2 years- LOL

Matrix

Matrix

Reaction score
has anyone used the disposable plungers from Vacalon?

Yes I use the plungers from Vacalon. Makes things just a bit easier on divesting. Also I believe with the Vacalon refractory material plunger there is less of a thermal impact on the ring vs. the Alox plunger.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Yes I use the plungers from Vacalon. Makes things just a bit easier on divesting. Also I believe with the Vacalon refractory material plunger there is less of a thermal impact on the ring vs. the Alox plunger.

I kind of figure that Ivoclar has a better understanding on what works best with their products.

What drives us as techs to work a product outside of the instructions? Do we think that we can save time if we figure a way to do things differently than what the manufacture has developed? I know I have been guilty of this many many times over the years and on the most technique sensitive of products this often leads to failures. Having my team understand that its imperative to follow specific protocol based on manufactures recommendations most definitely has made me sleep better at night.

As we start to do our in house tests on PFT, I have reminded my staff that there is a very critical protocol to this product. Being very technique sensitive I have made it very very clear that we will do everything by the book with ZERO exceptions.

OK I got a bit off topic here...

I have used disposable plungers in the past but always come back to using the alox ones. Disposable are faster to de-vest and they don't require the lube which is good. However, I always thought if it was better than Ivoclar would have developed a disposable first as it would be another recurring product that would be necessary. Seems like with all the EMAX being pressed these days they would definitely be selling a bunch.

Last edited:
subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I used to use the alox plunger ( reusable) and had issues with them. Whenever I had an emax that had different thickness in one crown, I had them crack at the glaze bake diagonal across the occlusion . Very annoying. I lost way too many units. Now I am using the vacalon plunger and have no more problems. I also had a thicker reaction layer and pockmark surface with Microstar. I am using the Galaxy II now and that works great. Press Vest takes too long to mix, bench set and preheat.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
1min vac mix
15 min bench set
1hour burnout

Speedvest