Preat Perma Mesh Vs Fiber Force

V

VictoryDental

Reaction score
Can someone give me the pros and cons of these materials used for reinforcing dentures?

Has anyone used both materials?

I spoke with the Preat sales person and he said that the Fiber Force will not bond to the acrylic and the Perma Mesh will. Fiber Force's literature says that the Fiber Force will bond to any denture acrylic.

Both are priced about the same how do you decide which to use?

Thanks,

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I can only speak for the Perma Mesh because that's all I've used, but I can say its some pretty amazing stuff. Very very strong, super thin, and really almost 100% disappears in acrylic. Only con IMO is price. Its Expensive!

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
Fiberforce bonds very well to acrylic.(!!??) It too is almost invisible except where the tissue stops are (it doesnt match the shade of the acrylic I use) I have placed one of these in a patient who cracked a cast mesh CUD and he is yet to break this in almost a year. I got a letter from Fiberforce last week of a summer sale. Why not buy a sample and experiment with it. Maybe both companies would send free samples?

C

chrisb

Reaction score
Can someone give me the pros and cons of these materials used for reinforcing dentures?

Has anyone used both materials?

I spoke with the Preat sales person and he said that the Fiber Force will not bond to the acrylic and the Perma Mesh will. Fiber Force's literature says that the Fiber Force will bond to any denture acrylic.

Both are priced about the same how do you decide which to use?

Thanks,

I apologize for the incorrect information you received from our sales rep. I wish to go on record stating that Fiber Force will bond to acrylic.

I think Fibre Force is a very good material and there are certainly times you want to use it. There are a great number of technicians who I admire and respect who have great success with FF. In my opinion, since studies show that the greatest area of tension--and thus fracture--is the incisal notch on a Maxillary denture, shouldn't the reinforcement be placed in this weakest area? To be frank, I would recommend using an unidirectional fiber (like eFiber) in this area instead of a weaker multi-directional fiber like PM or FF.

I had a great conversation with a technician this week, and he used the analog of an Oreo Cookie--if you don't want the cookie to break, reinforce the outer chocolate wafer (which you can do with eFiber). Reinforcing the palate is like reinforcing the creme filling--the cookie will still break, but the reinforced creme filling will hold the cookie together :)

As the manufacturer of Perma Mesh, and somebody who has personally tested and worked with Fiber Force when it was originally brought out by the parent French company at IDS, here is how I view the materials:

Category..... Perma Mesh ...... Fiber Force
Manufactured ..... USA ...... France
Material ..... e-glass ...... e-glass
Impregnation ..... PMMA ...... PMMA (light cure)
"Pre-Wet" ..... No ...... Yes
Curing ..... Dual ...... Light
Palatal Thickness Requirement..... No ...... Yes
Work with composite? ..... Yes ...... No
Invisible ..... Yes ...... Not sure
Can be ground/polished ..... Yes ...... No
Can be placed on surface ..... Yes ...... No
Special tools needed? ..... NO ...... Yes
Steps before using ..... Pre-wet ...... Blockout
Place ...... Place
Cure ...... Cure

I am not sure if FF is invisible. I know the excellent advertisements say it is, but the cases I have seen firsthand do require a thick palate to mask the material. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think both materials are huge jumps forward compared to the previous generation of Fiber materials and you will have success using either in the correct indication.

Last edited:
lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Do those get stuck inside your fingers if you are not careful? I imagine heavy duty gloves
to handle them. Good to know about your experience though.
LCM

C

chrisb

Reaction score
Nope, you can handle eGlass, sGlass, or rGlass fibers without any problems.

Jeffers

Jeffers

Reaction score
I represent GlasSpan, Inc. We have been selling a fiber reinforcement material used for dental reinforcement for over 20 years. It is an e-glass fiber that has been chemically etched and then impregnated with a dental silane coupling agent. GlasSpan will chemically bond with acrylic, as well as any of the other composite resins used in dentistry. The combination of the chemical etching process and the silane coupling agent is responsible for the compatibility with multiple chemical compositions. Additionally, because the fiber is chemically etched and silaneated, you will not affect the properties while using the fiber. One very common complaint is that if any fibers become exposed during polishing, the patient can feel the "fuzzyness" of the rough, exposed fiber. With GlasSpan, you will not have changed the chemical composition. Therefore, if any fiber is exposed, it can be covered with any composite resin, like a flowable composite.

Some of our competitors products require special gloves - not GlasSpan. The gloves are recommended to protect a coating that has been placed on the fiber. Unfortunately, this coating is very delicate and frequently disturbed while using the fiber in a lab or clinical setting. GlasSpan requires no special gloves, no special scissors, and is compatible with everything in your lab. Let me know if you have any questions about the product.
GlasSpan Website

Top Bottom