Polychromatic Emax

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
I was at Lab Day East and asked the Ivoclar guys about the new polychromatic milling blocks and pressing ingots. Not really interested in the milling blocks until I can see better margins and lower cost.

The only thing that they would tell me about pressing the new ingots is that you sprue the incisal, middle and gingival of the wax pattern. It is horizontal inside the ring. The pressing ingot is vertically stratified and somehow indexed to the sprues. They would not disclose or possibly did not know any more information.

For fun maybe cut different shade ingots in half vertically and use multiple sprues? Just index the ring base with a dot of wax so you know which side to place the desired shade. Anyone ever try this? Maybe sprue the "more chromatic shade to the lingual gingival, and the lighter shade to the facial incisal. This would layer the incisal more to the facial, and the body shade to the lingual.

Also saw the DEKEMA 654 that presses up to five different pellets in one ring.

P

Ppradip

Reaction score
Have you used this new ingots in your lab, what is the results? what is the size and shape of milling block? is it same like other zirconium block or what?

D

Dental Guy

Reaction score
Yes, we have tried to press multiple shade ingots (Empress Aesthetic),the results came out marble like in nature, no matter how we sprued, and we tried to sprue them the same way you described above. Nothing we did produced good, consistent results. Based on the knowledge we had in the laboratory (8 technicians) and feedback from Ivoclar, we came to the conclusion that the ingots had to melt and flow slightly different to one another (ie, the dentine ingot had to flow slightly quicker to completely flow to the marginal/middle third of the tooth before the incisal ingot flowed the into the occlusal/incisal area) if the viscosity of the two ingot materials are too close to one another, the materials mix together to create a marbling effect. If Ivoclar has mastered the polychromatic pressing pellets and technique, this will be fantastic for the laboratory's.