Polishing Gold Crowns

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Dr. that wants secondary anatomy in his FCG. I have always done primary with everything going to a point. Easy to polish with a rubber pencil wheel. What do I need to do to get into the smaller groves? Do I need a certain type of wheel that wont fall apart on me every two seconds tying to keep a small point on it?

Any help is appreciated.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Travis, try using fine bladed carbides.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I wax in all the anatomy, after they are cast I go over the occlusal anatomy with an HP diamond, then polish with BBC on an X stiff Robinson brush, then BBC on a soft brush, then rouge on a soft brush. When you polish, ignore the ridges and, with little jabs, concentrate on the grooves. The ridges will get polished by incidental contact with the brush by the time all the deeper anatomy is polished.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
How high is the gold content of the alloy you are using Travis? What I posted above is what I use for a 60% gold alloy. It dosen't work for the 88% gold alloy that I occasionally am asked to use. For that I use a series of rubber points, then Tin Oxide on a soft brush, then powdered chalk on a soft brush. Even after that they don't really shine, but it's the best combination I've ever found.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Ivoclars maxigold I believe its 59%

Were can I get the hp diamond and brushes at?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You down with "BBC"?

yeah, you know me.

Who's down wit BBC? :music::marchmellow:

[YOUTUBE]qmuFlaFYdgE[/YOUTUBE]

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0738.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0738.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I used super tiny round carbide to clean up the Secondary anatomy...then above...then..

Robinson Bristle with Rouge next.

No?

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I wax in all the anatomy, after they are cast I go over the occlusal anatomy with an HP diamond, then polish with BBC on an X stiff Robinson brush, then BBC on a soft brush, then rouge on a soft brush. When you polish, ignore the ridges and, with little jabs, concentrate on the grooves. The ridges will get polished by incidental contact with the brush by the time all the deeper anatomy is polished.

Travis, similar to above, but I'll run through the anatomy with some HP burs like
#1557, 2, 1. Only use #9 soft AbRobinson brushes and DualLustre by Motloid.
I found it to shine gold easier than BBC . But the real trick is to use a slower speed with the brushes or the bristles skip tthrough not getting deep down.
It will polish bur scratches in no time, just hit brush into polish often and slow.

There's a lot of ways to skin a cat though!

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the burs are going to help clean up the grooves. I got everything mentioned here and I hope I find success with it.

I didnt realize hp meant hand piece. I was looking for a bur made by hewlett packer.

L

LifeLike

Reaction score
I used super tiny round carbide to clean up the Secondary anatomy...then above...then..

Robinson Bristle with Rouge next.

No?

same here , I use a dull 1/2 ss white carbide for secondary then BBC then rouge on a chamois, shines like dyno-mite

D

DeVreugd

Reaction score
Try "0 " bud burr from Baush(sp) It is a small flame burr.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
same here , I use a dull 1/2 ss white carbide for secondary then BBC then rouge on a chamois, shines like dyno-mite

Ditto. BBC turns everything real black for a while, until the Robinson brush starts to clean and polish it. Chamois/ Leather buffs (last forever...still have a nearly full box). Small round bur, but you have to hold it steady otherwise it will run up over a cusp or out onto a previously beautiful area and leave chatter marks.

I wear gloves and a mask when polishing gold. Otherwise I end up looking like a Kentucky coal miner. (Still gotta wash my face afterward :D).

Cheers!

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Ditto. BBC turns everything real black for a while, until the Robinson brush starts to clean and polish .

Cheers!

That's why I switched to DualLustre. I feel it polishes much faster.
Faster is good!:driver:

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Travis, how is it working out for you? Getting the results you were looking for?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Travis is actually an autonomous web-bot.

Created to simulate a Dental Tech on the web.

The software is pretty impressive, right?

I think it is Travis 3.0 now?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I have a Dr. that wants secondary anatomy in his FCG. I have always done primary with everything going to a point. Easy to polish with a rubber pencil wheel. What do I need to do to get into the smaller groves? Do I need a certain type of wheel that wont fall apart on me every two seconds tying to keep a small point on it?

Any help is appreciated.

Robinson brushes/ Moltoid polish and follow up with the small chamois wheels.
Bend the Robinson wheel brush shanks slightly before polishing.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Secondary anatomy can be addressed in the waxup.Use an instrument with a smooth rounded tip to burnish the grooves. You can make your own by smoothing and rounding the tip of a broken cleoid discoid, I'm sure you have a few. :D Really any broken instrument will work once modified. Once cast the grooves can be addressed using dulled(on a truing stone) round bur. Size of bur used depends on depth and width of the secondary anatomy. I usually use a 1/4 round to #2 round for this. Then use a stiff Robinson brush, cut off the rounded edge to make it more star shaped; no need to make symetrical, the jagged points will allow better polishing if the grooves. For me shorter, stiffer bristles, slow speed and heavy pressure (Lo shine)is the key initally, Then hi shine with your prefferred compound using a muslin or chamois buffing wheel.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, you who...........

[YOUTUBE]MGtMwU8wDmc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I found great success with everyones help. Did a gold crown and a pfm with metal occlusion and the both look great. I would take some pics but my camera is acting weird.

Sent using my head.

Top Bottom