point and shoot camera`s

M

maxi

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Thanks for all this great info. I want to start taking my own pictures of my work and never knew were to start. I am looking at the Nikon D3100. Is it a good camera to start with. I know that trial and error is the way to learn, is it good enough to get nice teeth pics.
Wayne

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
I'm sorry Wayne - I'm sure i composed a response to your question a while back and then never hit send. Then Firefox in one of its many updates must have deleted the link and i forgot about it.

The Nikon D3100 looks like a revamp of the D3000 which was a revamp of the D60x. Its a solid entry level camera. I can't tell for sure but i assume it has interchangeable lenses - so with that, you will have to buy a macro lens and a ring light to use it properly for intra-oral shots. Given that - it should be fine.

Hope this helps.

A

AshleyMarkDMD

Reaction score
Canon G11/12 w/ PhotoMed Diffuser

Folks,

This is a video of what I use for intraoral photos. I've been a resident for approximately 1 year, day in, day out, and this thing is glued to me. I was sold on the G11 w/ photomed macrolens/diffuser b/c of it's ease of use, lightweight...and...much easier learning curve (and retention of that "how to use this thing").

Let me know what you think. I can post photos if you would like

Cheers

Ashley

Dental Cameras - Photomed G11 - YouTube

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]qKpxd8hzOcQ[/YOUTUBE]

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Semper Fi....how many years?
I'm Canadian Forces in TX for a couple of years.

Ashley

10 years :) I use to come across a few Canadian Forces overseas, mostly with NATO or UNMO, good folks even if they did have a funny accent..ehhh!! :p

zvac

zvac

Reaction score
Folks,

This is a video of what I use for intraoral photos. I've been a resident for approximately 1 year, day in, day out, and this thing is glued to me. I was sold on the G11 w/ photomed macrolens/diffuser b/c of it's ease of use, lightweight...and...much easier learning curve (and retention of that "how to use this thing").

Let me know what you think. I can post photos if you would like

Cheers

Ashley

Dental Cameras - Photomed G11 - YouTube
I use the Canon G12. Added from Amazon the Canon FA-DC58B filter adapter, Marumi 58mm DHG +3 close up lens and home made stiff plastic diffuser. Saved about $600 over the Photomed attachments. Works very well.

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
Jon
I need a camera , p & s for landscapes, and usual day activities, such as travel trips, hiking, ... i don't want to take my ttl canon, too big . I have an Olympus f e 45 , not bad, but at low light it's not good at all.
My friend have a Sony hd Avchd dsc-hx5
G.
10 X optical zoom
it's better than mine for sure, do you think it's a good option or do you recommend something else ?

Last edited:
JonB

JonB

Reaction score
All of the Canon G series from 10 on are fantastic point and shoot cameras! For snapshots and general photos that you want to tweak while shooting - its a great little second camera when you don't want to haul around a full sized camera.
Believe it or not - I won a paper airplane contest at the International Society of Aviation Photographers meeting in San Diego last June and got a new Nikon P7000 from Nikon. It is the Nikon version of the Canon G series.
I really don't use it much as I prefer to shoot with my other cameras - but for most people for most uses - these are the top of the line point and shoots and more than enough in capability.

That said - I wouldn't dream of trying to use one for intra-oral photos.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
megapascals... is that the new version of the little rascals? Mega bytes... i guess he's describing the size of his memory card or something...

What's next? That dentists are better technicians because they went to school?

With all due respect - if you can't afford any better and you can settle for the results - its better than nothing. Not much - but better than nothing.

Just one inarguable point - as much as i like the Canon and Nikon cameras in this style - the image sensor - while it may be 10 MEGAPIXELS - is the size of about 2/3s of a 1 cent postage stamp, while a 1.3, 1.6 or even a 1 sized sensor is nearly the size of a full 35mm frame. (about the size of a 5.00 postage stamp) Those teeny weeny megapixels all crammed into that litty bitty sensor are going to render the resolution that they're big brothers do? not hardly.
I get images from doctors who went the cheap route for a camera - i use their images every day. They get what they give - and if that is as good a treatment they wish to give their patients I know 2 things, i won't sit in their chair and I won't worry too much when they pull out the prima donna card.

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
megapascals... is that the new version of the little rascals? Mega bytes... i guess he's describing the size of his memory card or something...

What's next? That dentists are better technicians because they went to school?

With all due respect - if you can't afford any better and you can settle for the results - its better than nothing. Not much - but better than nothing.

Just one inarguable point - as much as i like the Canon and Nikon cameras in this style - the image sensor - while it may be 10 MEGAPIXELS - is the size of about 2/3s of a 1 cent postage stamp, while a 1.3, 1.6 or even a 1 sized sensor is nearly the size of a full 35mm frame. (about the size of a 5.00 postage stamp) Those teeny weeny megapixels all crammed into that litty bitty sensor are going to render the resolution that they're big brothers do? not hardly.
I get images from doctors who went the cheap route for a camera - i use their images every day. They get what they give - and if that is as good a treatment they wish to give their patients I know 2 things, i won't sit in their chair and I won't worry too much when they pull out the prima donna card.

This really makes sense Jon.

My dad refuses to use my half way decent Canon setup with my twin flash(because of pride) and takes his shade photos with a 14 megapixel Canon sx10. Good camera if you're taking photos not be used for any type of professional work, but intra-orals and shades, no way. The pics are CRAP, and that's an understatement.

For anyone out there considering point and shoots....don't. Just stop thinking about it, save your penny's, sell you flatscreen t.v., have a garage sale, and buy a good setup. You'll be happy you did.

S

smile4me

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Dentalfoto before? they sell a whole kit a cannon G12 with their lens that is patent pending and the software for $1595.00. As soon as I had the money saved up I was going to buy it because we like how small and compact the camera is. I saw that I can get the actual camera for around $400.00 or so but have no clue as to how to set it up and what lens to get that would be similar to the one they sell with the package
DentalFoto Digital Dental Camera System

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Dentalfoto before? they sell a whole kit a cannon G12 with their lens that is patent pending and the software for $1595.00. As soon as I had the money saved up I was going to buy it because we like how small and compact the camera is. I saw that I can get the actual camera for around $400.00 or so but have no clue as to how to set it up and what lens to get that would be similar to the one they sell with the package
DentalFoto Digital Dental Camera System

Rip off. Buy the G12 (if you want to use a P&S),get a macro adapter off eBay for $20, a macro ring flash for $50 and start shooting and save yourself $1k.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Rip off. Buy the G12 (if you want to use a P&S),get a macro adapter off eBay for $20, a macro ring flash for $50 and start shooting and save yourself $1k.

Ditto:)

S

smile4me

Reaction score

Thank you soooo much!!! I will do just that and post some pics after I set it up Thank you thank you thank you!!! :cheer2:

A

andres7790

Reaction score
ortho student

Ok I read everyone's opinion here, I hope this forum is not closed. I am starting ortho school and there are two things to consider, budget and the amount of stuff I have to carry around, also the fact that I have to hold the mirror myself, adjust lighting and handle the camera because as a student I won't have an assistant, all these things incline me to getting a point and shoot camera. Now seeing that everyone here seems to know what they look for in a camera, I narrowed it down to two choices of p&s cameras. Which would you recommend to your kid if he/she were to go to ortho school in 2013. Please look at the specifications, disregard price. Why did you pick one over the other. All opinions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Choice 1 Sony Cyber-shot RX100 Camera | DSC-RX100/B | Sony USA

Choice 2 Sony Cybershot Camera | Cyber-shot Digital Camera HX30 | DSC-HX30V/B | Sony USA

P

paulg100

Reaction score
do they make a ring flash and macro lens for those cameras?

If not and your planning on taking intra oral shots... you are wasting your time and money as you wont be able to get light into the oral cavity.

I use a DSLR with twin flash and 105 macro on my own every day without an assistant whilst im holding shade tabs in the other hand.
You just need to get a camera with a suitable sized body otherwise your will struggle to hold with one hand as weight of my set up is about 1.6kg.

IE: Canon 500D... No body is to small (i had one and just sold it)

Replaced with Canon 60D.. has larger hand grip and is perfect.

ive always bought all my camera gear off ebay, you save a ton.