point and shoot camera`s

A

AL1

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good point and shoot compact camera to take to offices for pictures?
Mainly to hold shade tab next to adjacent teeth for an idea of what to do.
I dont want to have to lug a big camera outfit, just something I can carry in my pocket.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
if you want to take a knife to a gun fight.....bring a point and shoot to the dental office and use in your lab......

Nikon D90 with a 105mm macro lens and R1 wireless flash system will yield you excellent exposures, depth of field, and portrait images. I'd be happy to share my camera settings and photo protocol if interested.

Cheers, James

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't dink around with the little ones you put in your pocket. Any photo's for the lab or at the chair should have a macro lens camera at the very least. Save the pennies, get yourself a Digital SLR macro with dual flash (for lab).....It will change your ceramics overnight and be the most humble experience of your technical career.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
TheLabGuy;It will change your ceramics overnight and be the most humble experience of your technical career.[/QUOTE said:
Roger that!;)

A

AL1

Reaction score
Lets say you are willing to take a knife to a gun fight ( as in the magnificent seven and the James Caan role in the John Wayne movie) because between taxes and paying for a child`s college we have no money left for an expensive gun, there has to be a viable option.

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
Point and shoot camera

This is what you get with a point and shoot.

James, please share settings. I got the same camera and appreciate all tips.
P2160148[1]sm.jpg

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I like the detail of the nose hairs:)

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
Have you tried to buy it used? The D80 is a great camera too. It does not have the option of shooting videos, but do you really need that? I am sure you can get a D80 much cheaper. Maybe someone here has one for sale who jus replaced it with a D300???
There is always ebay or Craigslist.
Point and shoot does not get you a close up shot. The closer you get the blurrier. You won't see details. The closest you get is maybe a half face. Won't do it for me. Also the flash will cast a shadow where you need the light because you are too close.
And talk about distortion. I am sure this patient, I sent the Photo in earlier, was not born as a horse.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Imo. I think that a good point and shoot would be fine for denture work I could see how it would be useless for fixed work, but to take some generalized face shots for dentures a good point and shoot would work for that.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I think the patient deserves the best service we can provide for them.We would bitch and moan if the dentist gave us an alginate impression for a 3 unit bridge because he didn't want to spend the money.

This is a business expense.

A

AL1

Reaction score
Great, send me the money and I will buy whatever you suggest.
We all deserve things in life we cant have.
Did you ever think that maybe we are that cash strapped, obviously your richer than god, so part with some of your riches and help an ex canuck.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Did you ever think that maybe we are that cash strapped, obviously your richer than god, so part with some of your riches and help an ex canuck.

I would go to pawn shops and look. With the down economy I bet you can find some good equipment real cheap.

Get it in parts to help with the pain. Find a cam that can accept a macro lens you can put on it later.

A decent cam with a lens (not macro but one for shooting around the house) is around $600 at Walmart. I bet you can find one used in the $200 range and then save for a lens and then a flash.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I would go to pawn shops and look. With the down economy I bet you can find some good equipment real cheap.

Subrisi and Al, have great ideas!!!!!!!! Ebay, Craigs List, Pawn shops, etc.... If you find something online, run it by some of us (i.e. Jon) to get an idea if it's a good deal. I see a ton of canon and nikon slr's on ebay and craig list for a very reasonable price. Then you can save up for the macro or dual/ring flash, but that will at least get you started.

A

AL1

Reaction score
Those are great idea`s.
Thanks
I will check craigs list and ebay.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
Whatever you do...... don't go cheap on the lens and flash !!! D80 works well also. You can always find used equipment as described earlier......D200(used) works awesome also and you can find those from people that always want to upgrade. The most important factors with the Nikon's for dentistry is:

1)exposure control(ttl) 2) colour balance 3) depth of field control.

You always want to shoot in Aperture Priority. The Nikon D80-D300 allows very high F-stops at those macro distances that allow you to see anteriors better than a High Def TV. Smile shots with a 32 F-stop yield incredible depth of field.

Invest in the 105mm Nikkor lens and R1 flash (don't need C1 component for dentistry),save the $$$ if you have to on the camera body. When buying used cameras, ask the vendor to send you a few images of blue sky taken with the camera. Check the images for repeatable dark spots from image to image. Internal sensor may be damaged.

Great Photography yields Great Business !!! The photography should pay for itself within a few cases.

I'm on vacation til the 28th. Back in trenches that Monday. Post your email and I'm happy to send you my Nikon camera settings and photography protocol.

Cheers, James

ps. Load those amazing images onto Microsofts Skydrive and view them with an iPad for build ups and Q.C. ..... stunning quality!!! Your doctors will be blown away!!!

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

I'd take up a collection for you but you'd probably spend it on whine!

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
I use a 100mm sigma lense it's a very nice lense for the money, the reviews on them were awesome. There is also another lense that is a off brand that also got good reviews ( I cant recall the name). I'm quite happy with the quality I get with the sigma your not paying for the name that way... actually the camera shop highly reccomended the sigma.
Great advise for ebay and the pawn shop also check out amazon too you can get used lenses for a pretty good deal sometimes there too.