Percent barium sulfate for cone-beam dual gradient scan guide?

E

EricH

Reaction score
I'm confused about what percentage of BaSO4 I need for a scan guide. I have read everything I can find, but the percentages vary from 10 to 30% in the teeth and 3 - 15% in the base. This is for a cone-beam CT scanner. The Dr. doesn't know either, but he does want a dual gradient. I hear about "noise" caused by anything above 12%, but then others say 30%.

Any quick answers would be greatly appreciated. I need to make this thing today if possible. Thanks!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about what percentage of BaSO4 I need for a scan guide. I have read everything I can find, but the percentages vary from 10 to 30% in the teeth and 3 - 15% in the base. This is for a cone-beam CT scanner. The Dr. doesn't know either, but he does want a dual gradient. I hear about "noise" caused by anything above 12%, but then others say 30%.

Any quick answers would be greatly appreciated. I need to make this thing today if possible. Thanks!
Make your life simple. Jet makes two acrylics precisely for this. One is Opaque the other is Shadow. About $40 each.

Opaque completely blocks and shadow shows on the image as, well, a shadow, just inverted 'cause it's an CT.

https://shop.benco.com/Product/4331-279/jet-xr-opaque-4oz-100gm

https://shop.benco.com/Product/4331-260/jet-xr-shadow-4oz-100gm

Benco is listing shadow as out of stock right now, but I'd bet Hank has it in stock.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Tom Zaleske has some material he uses that has gotten pretty good reviews...TOM?

E

EricH

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the 30/10 percentages, so we'll see how that goes. I can see how a pre-mixed product would be nice :). I ended up mixing the stuff in an empty Ivocap capsule and running it through the cap vibrator for a couple of minutes. It seems to have mixed well. I don't know how many of these I'll be making.

Happy New Year!

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
This is in the FWIW department - it all depends on the software vendor
who will be using the image to make the milled guide, it that is what the
end goal is. It used to be clear and teeth in 10%, from what I remember.
If the vendor cannot use the image, it is useless. I think Materialise was
the one that gave your DDS the idea - but protocols change. Sorry I don't
have a short cut for you.
LCM