Peek

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
What gum composite are you guys using? I was thinking about the GC stuff? I completely missed composites in my career. I did a few years ago with pentrons system but that was it. Zero call for it in my area. It will be nice to build and cure composite as opposed to layering and firing. Takes some concerns away by removing any extra thermal cycles A technician I think a lot of told me the prettiest crown he could do was a composite build up.

When will Pekkton be released here in the states? I'm still a little concerned with eventual intra oral staining and plaque retention? Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I am using Gradia gum and Nexco , and occasionally some Anaxgum . Whatever I like actually !

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Any advantage to milling a peek hybrid abutment with a Ti interface? As far as single tooth implants etc..

G

grantoz

Reaction score
Prettau has far more runs on the board than peek does, peek could be the future but its the composites that are stuck on to the framework etc that are the problem.I use composite resins for my temp full arches for gum effect and so on .Im sorry they don't hold up like porcelain they stain chip and gather plaque.The patient pays a lot for theses restos and expects the bridge to look good all the time.If the resins weren't a problem then people wouldn't go to the trouble of putting emax and zirc teeth on the peek frameworks. drizzt I think your zero faith in zirc full contour full arch restos is unfounded as there is now ten years worth of real use in real dental labs with virtually no problems no bone loss no tooth abrasion no fractures of the frame work no chipping of the teeth this is far better than 5 years from one or two labs using peek .I think people are looking for a marketing edge we have seen this many times ie emax and their interesting approach to why zirc was no good .People like myself may seem negative that way when Im talking about my concerns about peek .That doesn't mean that I wont use it in the future as im using it now but given the past 10 -15 years of our industry we have been thru a lot of change a got caught up a few times from exaggerated marketing claims and I see this happening again if we are not careful.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Prettau has far more runs on the board than peek does, peek could be the future but its the composites that are stuck on to the framework etc that are the problem.I use composite resins for my temp full arches for gum effect and so on .Im sorry they don't hold up like porcelain they stain chip and gather plaque.The patient pays a lot for theses restos and expects the bridge to look good all the time.If the resins weren't a problem then people wouldn't go to the trouble of putting emax and zirc teeth on the peek frameworks. drizzt I think your zero faith in zirc full contour full arch restos is unfounded as there is now ten years worth of real use in real dental labs with virtually no problems no bone loss no tooth abrasion no fractures of the frame work no chipping of the teeth this is far better than 5 years from one or two labs using peek .I think people are looking for a marketing edge we have seen this many times ie emax and their interesting approach to why zirc was no good .People like myself may seem negative that way when Im talking about my concerns about peek .That doesn't mean that I wont use it in the future as im using it now but given the past 10 -15 years of our industry we have been thru a lot of change a got caught up a few times from exaggerated marketing claims and I see this happening again if we are not careful.

Grantoz , I would never put a restoration like this in my own mouth . For many many reasons . First of all , it is too damn heavy . Second , it is too damn hard . This without a doubt will kill the opposite dentition . Can you swear that the dentist will polish perfectly the zirconia after adjustments so it will not wear the opposite ? Also zero elasticity . From what I have learned so far , this is not implant's best friend . Please , share studies showing us the long term effect . Independent studies , not ZZ sponsored studies .

Also 10 years doing Prettau ?? Wow , you must have worked with this material before it was even released to the public , because from what I know this kind of restorations are around for 6-7 years now . So not much diffrence with the PEEK stuff right ? You say no chipping of the teeth . Natural teeth are not indestructable . They crack , they chip , they break . Why should we put something indestructable in our mouth ?

Also composites not looking good ? Really ?? I have seen far more porcelain not looking good than composite . Plus composite can be fixed really easily chairside , can you say the same about Prettau ?

Also what about fatigue ? Doesn't this concerns you ? I have seen many many prettau or prettaue style bridges snap in half after 2-3 years in the mouth . Too many variables .

My concern is the best for the patient , and my criteria for pushing a restoration like this , is if I would chose it if I was the patient , or my family . plain and simple . I this is not a restoration I would choose for me or my family . And I have more faith in a high quality lab that I know is doing things like they were supposed to be done , not cutting corners , than a company that wants to make the more money they can .

So , let's agree we disagree on that subject .

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I will lose way too much sleep worrying about a full arch zirconia hybrid and a metal one for that matter because of the layered porcelain on it than I will when it comes to these high performance polymers (i.e. peek, pekkton, BioHPP). If the composite is the biggest worry, that should tell you something right from the start. I'd rather worry about composite (even though I don't believe it's an issue with the right technique) than layered porcelain or full arch zirconia any day!!!...and that's what it really boils down too.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
Just for the record I did work with prettau before it was released I also included time the zirkonzahn techs were using it, also Mich Unwrath from Arizona one of zz main beta testing techs he does beautiful work has been using it at least ten years, prettau was around before bruxiz.I don't want to get into a slanging match with drizzt we have very different points of view.the main point that im making is that don't rush in as I feel there is a lot of marketing not real research in peek sure peek is good in the body but there isn't much on how it performed as a long term restorative solution specifically in the mouth.I thinks its good to ask these questions, the implant companies themselves have used peek TEMP abutments for a long time the last time I looked they are still called Temp abutments not perminant abutments .I think this says a lot.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Just for the record I did work with prettau before it was released I also included time the zirkonzahn techs were using it, also Mich Unwrath from Arizona one of zz main beta testing techs he does beautiful work has been using it at least ten years, prettau was around before bruxiz.I don't want to get into a slanging match with drizzt we have very different points of view.the main point that im making is that don't rush in as I feel there is a lot of marketing not real research in peek sure peek is good in the body but there isn't much on how it performed as a long term restorative solution specifically in the mouth.I thinks its good to ask these questions, the implant companies themselves have used peek TEMP abutments for a long time the last time I looked they are still called Temp abutments not perminant abutments .I think this says a lot.

I will be using PEKKTON , a completely different beast compared to PEEK , and Ti bases . No torque directly to the polymer ! In any case , as you said we have completely different points of view ! Nothing bad with that if you ask me !! :)

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
What's the protocol for bonding Pekkton to Ti interfaces?

A

aqdental

Reaction score
This is from C&M :
Bonding Ti bases and frameworks of Pekkton® ivory, in choosing cement, MultilinkHybrid® Abutment (Ivoclar Vivadent) is recommended.

1. The abutment is screwed onto the analog. Seal the screw channel of the titanium abutment and the Pekkton® ivory framwork with wax.

2. Carefully sandblast the surface of the titanium abutment with 110μm aluminum oxide and 3 bar pressure.

3. Also carefully sandblast the contact surface on the inside of the framework. 110μm aluminum oxide and 2 bar pressure.

4. Monobond plus is applied to the sandblasted surfaces to silanize them. Application time approx. 60 seconds.

5. Apply visio.link (Bredent) to the Pekktonivory surface with a single-use brush and light cure for 90 seconds (Dentacolor XS, Kulzer).

6. Apply the cement to the inner surface of the framework and place on the abutment.

7. Then follow the manufacturer›s instructions.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Milling my first Pekkton sample today or tomorrow. Excited to see what the product can do!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
It mills just like PMMA, just doesn't stick everywhere like PMMA does. Nice material :)

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
i not quiet sure whats the big difference from PEEK, PAEK, PEKK the tech sheets look real similar ok possibility to bond ????

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
I understand the principle of shock absorption mimicking periodontal ligaments, but are there very many instances of the full arch, full zirconium cases causing implant failure?

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
I understand the principle of shock absorption mimicking periodontal ligaments, but are there very many instances of the full arch, full zirconium cases causing implant failure?

it's not that, it's for the patient to have a more naturally feeling prosthesis in the mouth, and it's lightweight

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
it's not that, it's for the patient to have a more naturally feeling prosthesis in the mouth, and it's lightweight

Also a few other advantages with the BDT technique used, but additionally is that this stuff has a little give to it...unlike zirconia and metal.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
So no one is seeing implant failure from zirk full cases and it stays pretty for ever sounds reall bad to me .A product that performs over many years without problems gee who would want that?

Top Bottom