outsourcing your CAD design work ?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
such a business would get off the ground without a problem, tom.

but such a business would not keep clients long.

because designs by nature need refining; if doing cad cast there needs to be some accomodations to casting, some knowledge of porcelain that won't cause shearing. knowledge of the particular requirements for opaque.

remote design is fine if you are expecting to have to rewax every case.

but if you want a remote design that is right the first time, you need to be highly specific to communicate those parameters from the outset.

like dentists that fill out their scripts with two words; you have to tick all the boxes, dot all the t's and cross all the i's. speficy your requirements.

if you want contacts tight, say so. if you want occlusion low, say so.

but do not fill out a script with "19 pfm" and expect the case to have the correct alloy casting thickness, reduction, or whatever.

because indeed you can make a design that will not work in manufacturing. better to have someone that designs and makes.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Each client would create a " profile" determining most common settings as contacts and occlusal clearance etc.

Each cadrepreneur *tm ( trademarked it) incorporates those preferences into the design entry.

The script page becomes a legal work order.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
The site is a middleman that brings the two together and makes darn sure both parties are treated fairly and payment gets to the design as soon as the job is complete. That is the job of a middleman and those that think its easy haven't done it. I have ten years doing that job and I'm good at it.

Protocols for the way you want your work designed is something you would work out with the designer. The website will allow the designers to post their credentials experience and a portfolio of there abilities so you are not buying a complete unknown. .

The selection of designers available is one reason for the site. If a designer can't please the customer the customer feedback will eliminate them form working very fast. On the other hand those designers that are 5 star form past customers will stay busy, busy, busy. Remember the buyer sets the mark if it unattainable the contract is null and void but the buyer must remember the designer gets to rate you. if you are a un-pleasable picky SOB in a shot time no one will want your business because of the feedback from their peers.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Each client would create a " profile" determining most common settings as contacts and occlusal clearance etc.

Each cadrepreneur *tm ( trademarked it) incorporates those preferences into the design entry.

The script page becomes a legal work order.

Funny....you can already set up clients like that with specific settings. Crazy huh? Who woulda thunk?

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I have been remote designing for quite awhile, It works pretty good as long you have really fast upload speed for the internet connection. For larger cases it can be a bit of a pain and can be frustrating and slow.

I see nothing wrong with outsourcing designs. Labs have been outsourcing every part of the dental business for years. Lots of people make a living just doing porcelain work and get someone else to make the frames.

Communication is key and no one is a mind reader so if there is something special you just send them a note with the specific requests. It's not that hard. Then it's all up to designer and that's where their ability either works or doesn't the exact same as a porcelain tech or gold tech.

I think if you have the expectations that you are never going to have to adjust anything then you are dreaming. Anyone that has being do CAD knows that. But if you only have to make a minor adjustment once in awhile then I see it could be a big benefit for a lab that needs help but are not sure about hiring someone and training.

Labs are already outsourcing their designs to India and China, If you think about it, you have no shipping cost at all because there is no physical product being sent. You scan in all the cases. They download them and design and send them back to you the same day and you mill them out. And scanning is the easiest part of the whole CAD process. You can teach anyone to scan, It's really simple.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I have tried to get some input from local web designers and after calling the 8 in the local phone book I got voice mail on every one.

I already have 22 bids on elance to work with me on this project and some have done a lot of work on elance this year with great customer feedback.

Only one bid from the US and their hourly rate is twice the other bids from all over the world, even one from Canada. The rest here were to busy not answering their phones to bid I guess.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
I think this model can work just fine. Techs will build a tech clientele no different than a tech builds a Dr clientele. Just like a hairdresser or other many trades. Trust is built, a market is created. Some real kick-ass CAD techs could make a name just like an Oliver Brix for ceramics and charge more per unit. Once you find a great designer, why leave?

"Can you make sure Tim designs it for me"

I would rather build a relationship than always sending off for some random dude in a big pump n dump for $4 a unit. Youre still "hiring", but the employee is remote access

Last edited:
Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
If your brick and mortar designer is gone for any reason, there is a place to go.

If your brick and mortar designer knows you can't do without them and it would be almost impossible to replace them and they use that against you, there is a place to go.

I love free enterprise and capitalism and this website will promote both.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
All this stuff comes from a dentist in one way or another. If a unlicensed non credentialed lab could use the site I guess the ability of a licensed, credentialed person that can treat the patient directly might be allowed.

There are many things that could keep this from ever happening. In Texas and other states in the US the designer would need to meet state lab requirements. I'm checking to see if the designs can be imported into the US without the designer registering with the FDA. Probably not. This has become very expensive unless you have volume sales to counter the registration fee. The rules and regulation of almost every county would probably have something to say about this.

I've put this on hold until I get better informed on the legalities of doing this. May not be possible.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
What if the site originated from a different country?

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I can't wait for the day when a "5-star" designer gets overloaded and ups his price...

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
RKM, This would be more about the person receiving the design and the rules they must follow. In the years I've been in importing the rules for most have been a vague suggestion at best. enforcement here on the import of type one dental devices has been lackluster at best. If it comes in as an attachment to email who knows.

As most here know I am a rock throwing SOB and my house just can't be made of glass.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
RJS8669 AMEN!!!Let the free marketplace work everywhere.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
capitalist pigs!

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Running dogs of capitalism.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I hear he even delivers his cases in a take-out box!
chinese_take_out.gif

NormC

NormC

Reaction score
I sometimes send stls for bridges to a site in vietnam, they charge 5 bucks a unit and usually takes 12-24hrs. It's a great learning tool for a newbie like me,..as I still make the bridge, then compare mine to theirs in Exocad. (I'm not a dental tech or dentist, so I need all the help I can get!)