Origin Intelligence

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Weird, I thought only B&D did the demo'ing. Either way, I'll let you know as I told that Nicely fellar I would also if it's good to go or not. I really want to wait till July though to give you and the company a fair assessment.

B&D isn't the only company selling this scanner. This was before Glidewell even was carrying it though....

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
B&D isn't the only company selling this scanner. This was before Glidewell even was carrying it though....

ahhh, gotcha.
We are scanning now and it's so simple and easy. I have yet to see one scan and design last longer than a minute....seriously. My only cad/cam experience is limited to sirona and cerec. The old sirona use to have to snap a few pictures and taking a whole model took foooorreeeever. This is so simple and the software MILES ahead of those days. Cad/Cam has really come a long ways since those days. I still want to be fair and not start strutting around the lab yet, until July, when we start scanning everything. Then I'll give you guys my assessment and I'll even videotape a case as well for you so you can see it in action. :):)

P

paulg100

Reaction score
" I have yet to see one scan and design last longer than a minute....seriously"

Would this be Reduced mode Supportive sub structures or shell/thimble copings? popcorn

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
" I have yet to see one scan and design last longer than a minute....seriously"

Would this be Reduced mode Supportive sub structures or shell/thimble copings? popcorn

Just copings Paul...I added to the mesial and distal and one cusp tip for porcelain support, but that took one second. The full contour take awhile and I haven't scanned any of those yet. I was told today though that they would take about 10 minutes.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"I was told today though that they would take about 10 minutes. "

Ah that sounds more like it, although i guess if you can place little cusps with a build tool effecively then its much the same result.

None of us on here would still be making unsupportive thimble zirconia copings would we :nono: ;)

C

charles007

Reaction score
Full contour scanning.... what a B -ouch
scan working model
scan die
scan antagonist
scan articulated models
mark margin
drop in a pretty crown
add antagonist and lose pretty anatomy
then play with the waxing tools...
then search for the scan..
I'm to old for this crap........and I was ready to bury my casting machine..
(This scanner has 3 scan setting, think I will try the faster scan speed for simple crowns... No money to made here scanning models..)

And my turbo computer is not helping me design crowns very fast :confused:

Damn, this could turn me into an alcoholic with these speedy designed crowns. Wait a minute, I'm working longer hours now !! help help !
Anyone want to buy a scanner :D.... it does make the pfms disappear in your lab if you try :):)
Now I'm buried in all ceramic crowns........ :D and that was my gold:p

Now I'm sad:( and this computer chit is driving me nuts.....

Sorry ... just thinking out loud......:)

Last edited:
Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Just copings Paul...I added to the mesial and distal and one cusp tip for porcelain support, but that took one second. The full contour take awhile and I haven't scanned any of those yet. I was told today though that they would take about 10 minutes.

Wait till you start scanning larger models with multiple dies and the opposing...that's where we saw all of the holes and manual adjustments. If it changed then I will definitely have to check it out again so try it out and let us know how it works..their price and quality seems good but the software isn't there.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Full contour scanning.... what a B -ouch
scan working model
scan die
scan antagonist
scan articulated models
mark margin
drop in a pretty crown
add antagonist and lose pretty anatomy
then play with the waxing tools...
then search for the scan..
I'm to old for this crap........and I was ready to bury my casting machine..
(This scanner has 3 scan setting, think I will try the faster scan speed for simple crowns... No money to made here scanning models..)

And my turbo computer is not helping me design crowns very fast :confused:

Damn, this could turn me into an alcoholic with these speedy designed crowns. Wait a minute, I'm working longer hours now !! help help !
Anyone want to buy a scanner :D.... it does make the pfms disappear in your lab if you try :):)
Now I'm buried in all ceramic crowns........ :D and that was my gold:p

Now I'm sad:( and this computer chit is driving me nuts.....

Sorry ... just thinking out loud......:)

Here is what we do:

1) We have a couple young (unskilled in dental) technicians who just scan all day long. Scan, scan, scan, scan.

2) All the scanned cases are moved to a server, where they are sorted and assigned to design technicians (former waxers) who do all the design work.

3) The designed cases are sent to another server where the CDT manager gives it his final inspection and any refinements before it is handed over top the CAM manager.

4) CAM manager decides how to best distribute the cases amongst the various milling machines, depending on due date, type of material being used, best nesting strategy etc.

5) CAM manager loads and unloads machines, does the ultrasonic cleaning steps, pigmenting, drying, sintering etc, and passes to the seating and contouring technicians.

6) Stain, glaze, QC and ship.

You may want to think about getting someone else to handle the majority of the scanning and design chores for you, while you do something else. After you get the hang of things, you can decide who within your organization would ne best to do certain things like scanning for example. You PU&D driver might be able to do it or something.

The whole idea is, use less skilled, less expensive labor and quadruple your throughput.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Yep Mark, that's the idea. Hope to get my son in the business to do all the scanning so I can sit back in Margarita land and design with my mouse.
Its fun, but one hell of a digital wall to climb.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
im gonna train my dog :llama:

just watched the video of that scanner, compared to using an Inlab Ineos, this is like poetry in motion, drooool..

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
My goal is to have all my Drs doing the scanning;)

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
I second that one! a data file from the dentist will be a nice change.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Yep Mark, that's the idea. Hope to get my son in the business to do all the scanning so I can sit back in Margarita land and design with my mouse.
Its fun, but one hell of a digital wall to climb.

A mountain is just a hill with more steps. One day at a time. It's a transition and you are ahead of 70% or more of the industry already!

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Interesting. I talked to the head Cad tech at one of the large labs in my area about his thoughts on their systems. He said they had two others scanning and then he did the design work and sent the case to printer, mill etc. They are moving 180 units a day in that fashion. I was surprised by a few things he had to say though. He said several of their Docs disliked the anatomy and overall look of the Cad units, and they were having trouble with accurate inlays, onlays and crowns under partials. They still had to hand wax those types of cases and Doctors. I am not sure what percentage that is of their total work but I would say it is pretty small. I assumed you could design a really nice unit if you had the room?

Just curious

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Forgot to add that it makes me a little concerned about the milling and printing hardwares capabilities in the present state of technology. I have played around with several systems and was able to design what I thought were really nice contours and anatomy. Are you guys getting the same thing after fabrication that you see on the monitor?

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Forgot to add that it makes me a little concerned about the milling and printing hardwares capabilities in the present state of technology. I have played around with several systems and was able to design what I thought were really nice contours and anatomy. Are you guys getting the same thing after fabrication that you see on the monitor?

There's obviously a slight disconnect when designing on screen. I'm sure everyones first crown on a cad system didn't come out the way they expected it to but give it a week and it will be fine. Like all things, it takes a little getting used to.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Just received mine Friday the 12th so I will let you guys know. So far i am pleasantly surprised.

Top Bottom