orange peel texture on emax pressing

A

AL1

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten an orange peel like texture on an emax pressing, if so what can cause this?
I was in a hurry and didnt let the ring heat soak as long as I normally do which is a full hour at temp.
It ground right off with no apparent affect to the crown.
I only had one crown and a dummy sprue, so can to much material cause this?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
investment is breaking down is my guess. What type of investment do you use?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I get that from time to time as well.

I use the speed vest and follow the instructions.

I thought it was part of the reaction layer.

Could it be caused by the debubblizer?

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
I get that from time to time as well.

I use the speed vest and follow the instructions.

I thought it was part of the reaction layer.

Could it be caused by the debubblizer?

yes, if debubblizer is used you will want to discontinue that immediately. it certainly can add unwanted textures (even after it drys) and can react with the investment as well.

A

AL1

Reaction score
I dont use debubblizer and I have been using microstar hs for a long time. I just recalibrated my press furnace, see if that helps.

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
This is usually a sign of too much heat. The reaction layer should be thicker too. I had that all the time with Microstar. I switched to Pressvest and now also tried Galaxy 2000. Both are fine at exactly the same pressing temp as the Microstar. Also I see no difference if I use debubbleizer or not.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Heard of Microstar causing this with a friend of mine, and the Z-vest as well......switched him to Whip Mix Formula 1 and all his issues went away. I will say I don't use debubblizer either.

A

AL1

Reaction score
Microstar has never done this in the past. Could be a heat problem. Thats why I recalibrated my ep600. I didnt burnout as long as usual, normally an hour at temp. but I had to rush it today.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Need Help,,

I use ivoclar EP600 press furnace and had a problem on start-up test,,

When test the press mechanism, the press plunger running normally, goes down till reach the ring, but not stopped when reached the ring. The press plunger push the ring till the machine detected an error.
It's mean that the press plunger not operated as usually,
the monitor shown technical error 504,,
How can I fix this problem??

Thx for your attention,

Call Ivoclar and ask for Tom or Paul in Equipment, they will help you out.

M

M. Brian.

Reaction score
This is usually a sign of too much heat. The reaction layer should be thicker too. I had that all the time with Microstar. I switched to Pressvest and now also tried Galaxy 2000. Both are fine at exactly the same pressing temp as the Microstar. Also I see no difference if I use debubbleizer or not.

M

M. Brian.

Reaction score
I just did a pressing of emax (LT ingot in 100gm ring) today using HS Vest universal for the very first time, and I used the speed technique. It was pressed in my EP5000. I had very little reaction layering compared to the kind I would get with IPS PressVest Speed. Yet for the first time, I had the orange peal effect. Is my new EP5000 too hot? Is the Orange peal effect something to be concerned about?

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I just can't get rid off my orange peel. Not long ago I purchased a new ep5000 and that one presses great. I am aware that the orange peel and reaction layer is a sign of too much heat, but you can not adjust the EP 5000. The program is locked. So I sent the old oven back to Ivoclar to get it fixed and adjusted because my temperature calibration is not improving anything. I spent a lot of money for shipping and service and their test press was perfect. They sent the oven back with the result that everything is fine. Now I have it back and it presses orange peel surface again. The other oven is doing fine, so it is not the investment. I am frustrated because I can't find a solution.
BTW, In January I had problems with the galaxy 2. I had a bad batch which caused very bad reaction layers. After exchanging the batch it got better again. Lat week I opened a new box and this one is worse than the previous, but not as bad as the one from last January. So if you all of the sudden have bad presses. Start blaming the investment. I was dinking around for almost a half box, blaming myself before I threw out the investment.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
i used the pre program on my ep3000 and had similiar problem. i dont use their pre program anymore. dropped the temp and holding time slightly. almost zero scale now. i suggest making your own program and tweeking it till your pressings are perfect.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
You don't need a soap less detergent like debubblizer if your applying your investment with a brush. It gets in those hard to invest places...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
" if your applying your investment with a brush. "

I'd rather apply investment inside wax coping using a pointed instrument, but not a brush, the brush traps tiny air bubbles in the investment.

Better still, i use a straighten paper clip.

debubblizer.com

debubblizer.com

Reaction score
Russman DeBubblizer Surfactant chemically designed to reduce surface tension, produce sharper details, eliminate bubble formation when pouring model casts from any impressions alginate, rubber, silicone, wax and investing wax patterns.

TECH SECRETS

Special First Issue

The secret to pouring great models begins with Russman’s DeBubblizer Surfactant.

Pouring great models.

Basics
1. Air blow air impression.

2. Holding the impression 6 inches (15cm) away, spray lightly with Russman’s DeBubblizer Surfactant.

3. Vibrate stone into impression.

Alternative methods
When mixing stone or investment material, add 2 drops to 100grams stone. This makes the stone denser, harder.

Troubleshooting
A fine spray is best. Don’t try to use too much.

Zubler USA

Zubler USA

Reaction score
Don't use debubblizer!!! It keeps investment from setting up properly.

When looking at the "orangle peel" issue - Turn down the heat... Don't just look at the pressing oven, look at the burnout oven.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Dont use debubblizer, paperclip, brush or any of that.. but what works great is an empty opaque syringe with a zapit extender tip on it. Fill it full of investment, press the air out, then inject your waxups, it pushes the air out and leaves only investment.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Dont use debubblizer, paperclip, brush or any of that.. but what works great is an empty opaque syringe with a zapit extender tip on it. Fill it full of investment, press the air out, then inject your waxups, it pushes the air out and leaves only investment.
i dont use any of these tricks unless its a very small anterior crown.... then i use a small tipped dental tool (prob the size of a very small paper clip). i dont have any bubble issues. are folks really struggling with bubbles this much? slow down with your investment pouring! it really isnt as tricky as it used to be, the investments are leaps and bounds better

Zubler USA

Zubler USA

Reaction score
i dont use any of these tricks unless its a very small anterior crown.... then i use a small tipped dental tool (prob the size of a very small paper clip). i dont have any bubble issues. are folks really struggling with bubbles this much? slow down with your investment pouring! it really isnt as tricky as it used to be, the investments are leaps and bounds better

You would be surprised. So many times, I see labs get into a faulty routine. Unbeknownst to them, they cover up their problems with solutions that end up creating a more complex troubleshooting scenario down the road. Sometimes also costing them more money.