Opinions on Cercon System

TMNT120

TMNT120

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, been a long time reader and found many things on here to be helpful.

Did some searching through the forums but couldn't find much info on Cercon.

I'm looking to purchase a used system to start a small milling center from home as a side project. I've been using the Wieland system for the past 5 years at the lab I'm working at (3shape D250 scanner, Zeno 4030 M1 CNC machine). I find the entire Wieland system to be very dependable and efficient.

I was wondering if any owners of a Cercon system (in-house, not outsourcing) could give me some insight into the features of the cercon. If anybody owns both a 3shape and cercon system it would be really great if you could provide me with a list of pros vs cons of both.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
We have both. We don't use our Cercom machine too much any more, because we mostly do work to order by brand name, so unless they ask for Cercon by name, we don't run it through. Our generic zirconia is Prismatik, so we aren't using any of the generic blocks in it, though I know a lot of people who do.

The Cercon Art software is old and simple, but works for simple jobs and you can nest.

I was told we could buy a dongle to run 3Shape files through the mill which we would do if we had demend for Cercon, so we haven't tried it yet. We were thinking about making it a dedicated little mill for milling single dies for a special project we have cooking, but haven't gotten that far yet.

If you just want to offer some inexpensive generic zirconia, and want a simple, cheap way to do it, the Cercon should give you what you're looking for. Like with anything in life, keep your toys clean, take care of them and follow instructions and it should be a dependable device.

Hope that helps.

TMNT120

TMNT120

Reaction score
Thanks Mark for the very informative reply! Greatly appreciated.

I live in an area where CAD/CAM dentistry is still in the stone age, doctors are still calling any and all ceramic restorations procera! So brand name is not of big concern.

I've also heard that Cercon is more opaque when compared to other types of zirconia. Is this a big concern, or is it negligible? Also what is the coloring process of the zirconia like? I've heard that you can only use pre-colored blocks in the Cercon heat.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
been pre colouring cercon in cercon heat for years, no probs to report.

Yes it is much more opaque than alot of the newer zirconias around now, although dentsply have there HT stuff comming out any time now, only you cant sinter it in the old cercon heat as it sinters at 1500c.

Although if you use the right techniques its not so much a problem.

Start by throwing away the manual for layering and get on some decent courses for all-ceramics and its not an issue.

TMNT120

TMNT120

Reaction score
What are the annual licensing fees like? I know with weiland they're through the roof for us! I hate to be a bug and keep asking so many questions, but I'd like to be thorough in my research. (don't have much operating capital for my own venture) Once again, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

P

paulg100

Reaction score
the good: no license fee's.

But the system is locked to the Cercon material and denstply will fleece you for it big time.

Our per unit cost for cercon in the UK is aprrox £20.

When you realize milling centers our milling for as little as £3 per unit, i think you'll agree its outrageous.

TMNT120

TMNT120

Reaction score
Thanks for the cost per unit estimate paulg100, £20 is pretty steep...

Anybody know if there are third-party material suppliers?

How is the durability of the Cercon system?

The Wieland system we've been using at our lab has had only minor hiccups in the past 5 years, no major breakdowns or costly repairs. The only problems we had were a few heating elements needed to be replaced in the sintering furnace, but we suspect it was a bad batch, and the motor in the extraction unit burned out, but that was a recall for all units. The actual milling machine itself has had no problems, and the integrity of the work produced has not changed since day one.

How does the Cercon Brain, Heat and Air measure up in terms of durability and maintenence?

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I got a Cercon system for sale. Got the Heat, Clean, Eye and Art. No sintering oven.

H

harry1

Reaction score
All fair comments thus far, anybody interested in Cercon system in UK, let me know, might be able to point you in right direction.