Opinions on a Scrap Refiner

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I use a local guy. Just seems more personable. And could such a friendly local guy not be honest to me ? We never really know for sure do we ?
If you use the same alloy for most cases and weigh it before sending you can compare the percentages to your alloy chart and have a decent idea.
I always kept my scrap separated and put it in an old crucible to melt and burn out the crap.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I use a local guy. Just seems more personable. And could such a friendly local guy not be honest to me ? We never really know for sure do we ?
I think I'd rather take my chances with a big company that I already do business with. I don't need personable.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
And I was going to post a Garfield picture yesterday. Somebody had to say it :)
I'm not surprised. You're always looking to derail threads. I don't know why Travis puts up with you or your ilk.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. You're always looking to derail threads. I don't know why Travis puts up with you or your ilk.

But, but, aren't you Travis...why do you put up with me o_O :)

K

KIM

Reaction score
If you use the same alloy for most cases and weigh it before sending you can compare the percentages to your alloy chart and have a decent idea.
I always kept my scrap separated and put it in an old crucible to melt and burn out the crap.
Being knowledgeable is important, your diligence here makes sense. A few years ago we were performing a very interesting analysis for clients that bought our alloy and refined with us. It's not that we were being exclusive to them only but because we had exact records of what they were buying in alloy over what period of time vs. what we were receiving back in refining material, we are able to conduct a "Health check" for them. It was very telling as we not only could calculate what % of alloy purchased was ending up in the scrap, we could also detect and point out areas of increased expense and help labs be more profitable. For example, if the scrap to alloy ratio was higher than normal and alot of it was grindings, we could highlight the fact that someone was being paid to grind more metal than normal.....Why? Maybe the waxer was waxing too thick, maybe the ceramist was asking the metal finisher to adjust the bridge because it wasn't designed properly, etc....Very interesting stuff....

K

KIM

Reaction score
I think what you're saying is that "Trust" is important when you say "Personable" perhaps? That's a very important thing with refining BUT entities that are "Local" are middle men and not the end refiner so a couple of things happen here....1) They don't have control over what happens to your scrap once you give it to them. Who do they send it to? How do you know they are doing a good job? Do they really care if they don't even know who you are anyway? 2) The local guy is a "Middle man" who's getting a cut of your scrap. Don't get me wrong, reps who work for refining companies make a commission likely as well, but not as much as the local guy does, trust me on that.......