Odd Crown Design on 2 abuts?

user name

user name

Reaction score
I have a case where 3 implants were placed where there should only be a bi and a molar. Is there any reason not to, and any simple way with exocad to design the molar crown on 2 abutments? Im thinking Ill need to place 2 bicuspids and splint and do lots of free forming.

Im planning on screw retained.

Ideas?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
You could do a design as pontics over the area that the implants are placed. Once finished with the preliminary design, save full anatomic shapes as stl.
Start new job as wax up/copy mill. Use the preliminary design as the wax up and do the case as screw retained with Ti bases or make your own custom abutments.
The wax up you import in should morph to the two abutments.

I really need to see the case to get a better understanding of what you are up against and have a proper solution.

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
Why not have the doctor put one of the implants to sleep and only use two implants for abutments? The third would be providing a hidden function of holding the bone and tissue.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Why not have the doctor put one of the implants to sleep and only use two implants for abutments? The third would be providing a hidden function of holding the bone and tissue.
Dr suggested that, but Im thinking it would be stronger to have a molar on 2. I could be wrong. Neither one is placed ideally, so there would be some cantilever.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I can not help you in EXO but in 3shape its pretty easy to make a single unit with 2 cad bases using the temp on un-sectioned model and drawing the margin line linking both of the cad bases together. If the fixtures are close to one another its super easy to make it look bad ass.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I can not help you in EXO but in 3shape its pretty easy to make a single unit with 2 cad bases using the temp on un-sectioned model and drawing the margin line linking both of the cad bases together. If the fixtures are close to one another its super easy to make it look bad ass.
Just get exo already. Sheesh.

user name

user name

Reaction score
They are close together. I know I can get the design accomplished, but Im feeling insecure about the best way to design between the abutments on the ridge...full lap and make it look like it grew there or keep some separation so its more cleanable?

Bad Ass would be great; Im just hoping to avoid a WTF?!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
They are close together. I know I can get the design accomplished, but Im feeling insecure about the best way to design between the abutments on the ridge...full lap and make it look like it grew there or keep some separation so its more cleanable?

Bad Ass would be great; Im just hoping to avoid a WTF?!

Naw no WTF moments are going to happen unless the height is short.

You can open it up like a bifurcation on conjoining roots. all depends on whats around it. These are the "fun" cases because anything you will try to do other than make two skinny units will be an improvement. Screw retained will obviously give you way more options as well

user name

user name

Reaction score
Well, Im pissed and ready for some vodka. This patient was missing 2 teeth, but the oral surgeon placed 3 implants. I thought 2 of them were close enough to try to make a molar on, but it sucked. My design capabilities suck. The surgeon sucks. The patient is screwed. What a F'd up deal. TWO damn implants and we'd be golden. Mouthy full of bicuspids, why not. Im going to talk to the Dr about this surgeon. Hes done this crap before. Im not going to work on cases from this guy any more. Im just pissed.

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
Well, Im pissed and ready for some vodka. This patient was missing 2 teeth, but the oral surgeon placed 3 implants. I thought 2 of them were close enough to try to make a molar on, but it sucked. My design capabilities suck. The surgeon sucks. The patient is screwed. What a F'd up deal. TWO damn implants and we'd be golden. Mouthy full of bicuspids, why not. Im going to talk to the Dr about this surgeon. Hes done this crap before. Im not going to work on cases from this guy any more. Im just pissed.

Call it a day, get cruncked and back at it fresh in the morning.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
There are somethings that just don't go well with CAD, go analog and be done with it.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score

Hey User

I hope it isn't too late... o_O

I have had similar situations. The easiest, although not the quickest, may be to do a wax-up and scan it in as "Wax-up" and select 'screw retained-manual' (on ZirconZahn, which is exocad) This way, the position of the implants don't matter. You may be able to do a digital wax-up, as mentioned by 2thm8kr. But I have had issues with that on a couple occasions (I am by no means a digital expert...)

Hope this helps.

Michael

Edit: spelling

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Maybe he's just motivated by the notion that getting paid for three is better than two...
If you're into that sort of thing...

Top Bottom