P

PinAn

Reaction score
why don't u buy quadro 2000 ?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You ask, "why do I buy a GTX690 and not a quadro 2000?" You maybe mean a quadro 6000? 2000 is kinda weak IMO.

It is just an entry level, basic card with only 192 cuda cores vs/ over 3000 cuda cores in a GTX690.

It is like comparing a moped to a Ferrari.

The GTX 690 has 4gb of memory, quadro 2000 has but only 1gb. It's memory bandwidth is a wussy 41.6GB per sec, while the GTX 690 is 384 GB/sec.

Night and Day, you see?

GeForce GTX 690 | Specifications | GeForce

Quadro 2000 – Workstation graphics card for 3D design, styling, visualization, CAD, and more

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Does Sum3D make use of the GPU for calculations as well?

C

charles007

Reaction score

I have the Quatro 2000, a cad card, but installed back in Jan 2011. I would think its outdated for the money now.. Cost $540 at that time..

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Charles, I just spend around $5000.

Computer, not included!

I now have an nvidia Quadro K5000 (4GB version with newer Kepler technology)

This is the video card that nvidia told me to buy to go with the Telsa card.

Both came to market just before Christmas 2012.

Together, they are called "Maximus Technology", from nvidia... CAE, Rendering, CFD, Structural Analysis | NVIDIA Maximus | NVIDIA

It will run around $5-6k. I am still going to try a GTX 690 that I bought. We will see if a difference is to be found?

http://www.nvidia.com/content/quadro/maximus/DI-06471-001_v02.pdf

This link above is for the older Fermi style technology.....cool to see the option for turning on/off the card for graphics, or computational processing only, and ECC options.

No SLI is used on the Telse card. Very clearly stated in the instructions.

One example shows Two Telsa cards, and One Quadro 2000 video card in a workstation. No SLI bridges.

This set-up was for crunching numbers, and not massive graphics power.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I'm a sissy I guess.....:( just for this for Sum3D.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358531139.459402.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358531139.459402.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score

PinAn,

Sorry, you are/were correct.

This is/was a good solution, according to nvidia.

The Quadro 2000 + last generation Tesla Fermi computational accelerator was the combo to have I think? Or even up to a Quadro 6000, plus the Tesla. All would work.

For the newer Tesla Kepler stuff, nvidia has only indicated the newest 4gb Quadro 5000. No other choices, so they say?

My brother, who is programmer at IBM, say that we can tweek some drivers and other things to get a much cheaper, and stronger GTX690 consumer level gamer's card to work as well, or even better than the Quadro 5000. The GTX 690 is 1/2 the price @ $950, then the Quadro 5000....which was $1900.

The Quadro 5000 graphics card that I just got in weighs a few pounds, and is longer than the Tesla below, I think?
The Quadro 2000 looks absolutly tiny in comparison IMO. I have One around somewhere that I will snap a pic of, beside the 5000.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_twintesla_zpsc496c092.png

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_settings_zps5cbb2e9c.png
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_twintesla_zpsc496c092.png ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_settings_zps5cbb2e9c.png

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
so what for it? for faster cam calculation??

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
ai104.photobucket.com_albums_m165_yerfdog_bucket_slibrdges_zpsfbb537f0_1_zpsa01ebc83.jpg

highlighted: SLI bridge connections.
ai104.photobucket.com_albums_m165_yerfdog_bucket_slibrdges_zpsfbb537f0_1_zpsa01ebc83.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I also have an appendix, that I do not use.

Jason, I see you texted Luigi about sum3d using GPU or not.

The ides is, the tesla card is not acting like a normal GPU.

In fact, you can build an entire PC without an Intel processor, and have the main Operating System and everything using only the cuda cores.

OK, maybe it looks like a Graphics card, and has similar internals, but handles processing differently.

No, SUM3d does not benifit much from a faster graphics card for calc times. I kinda knew that.

But, this is not a regular graphics card, meant for processing graphics to be displayed on a monitor.

We were talking about this stuff, and the 64bit changes for sum3d to come, and what to use.

Luigi and Gianmarco are unfamiliar with the nvidia Tesla product. Never heard of it, at all.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score

In fact, you can build an entire PC without an Intel processor, and have the main Operating System and everything using only the cuda cores.

OK, maybe it looks like a Graphics card, and has similar internals, but handles processing differently.

No, SUM3d does not benifit much from a faster graphics card for calc times. I kinda knew that.

But, this is not a regular graphics card, meant for processing graphics to be displayed on a monitor.

We were talking about this stuff, and the 64bit changes for sum3d to come, and what to use.

Luigi and Gianmarco are unfamiliar with the nvidia Tesla product. Never heard of it, at all.

Ahhhh I see. I was going to upgrade my card if Sum3D was optimized or it. Just had a system built but the builder would upgrade if it was necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
They were questioning the need for 2 Gb of video memory until they realized I need to calculate and render in real time via Exocad etc..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
We start testing tommorow on a Quad, and Hex-core i7s, over-clocked and liquid-cooled computers.

First CAM and DentalShaper/Rhino and few others.....then exocad and some other 64-bit applications.

The smaller Quadro came out of Dell Precision Workstation T3400. A couple years old and a complete turd by todays standards. LOL

It was good, at One time. ?? Kinda?>

Quadro ???, GTX690, Quadro K5000 (4gb),Tesla K20

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1220_zpse64edada.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1222_zpsc805fe25.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1219_zpsa70ed078.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1220_zpse64edada.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1222_zpsc805fe25.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1219_zpsa70ed078.jpg

P

PinAn

Reaction score

i think the high level graphics card can let "simulation" get faster

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I'm running an AMD FX 8350 octacore at 4GHz, AMD Radeon 7850 HD 2 Gigs of video memory, 32 gigs of ram with a 240 gig SSD and a 2 terabyte HD all on an ASROCK AM3+ 990FX Extreme4 motherboard.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I'm running an AMD FX 8350 octa core at 4GHz, AMD Radeon 7850 HD 2 Gigs of video memory, 32 gigs of ram with a 240 gig SSD and a 2 terabyte HD all on an ASROCK AM3+ 990FX Extreme4 motherboard.

Now I understand why it takes you sooo long to scan and design a fcz... 7 minutes Total.... Do you think a faster mouse would get you under the 7 minutes mark..
Under 7 minutes wins the gold metal at the Exocad olympics.. This year there are no 3shape entrees :confused: lol

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm running an AMD FX 8350 octacore at 4GHz, AMD Radeon 7850 HD 2 Gigs of video memory, 32 gigs of ram with a 240 gig SSD and a 2 terabyte HD all on an ASROCK AM3+ 990FX Extreme4 motherboard.

how fast is your ram ?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Ram frequency, voltage, latency, etc is set-up in motherboard's bios to match your RAM hardware?

Whatever you have, it is important to have computer set to accept and use it. ??

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Now I understand why it takes you sooo long to scan and design a fcz... 7 minutes Total.... Do you think a faster mouse would get you under the 7 minutes mark..
Under 7 minutes wins the gold metal at the Exocad olympics.. This year there are no 3shape entrees :confused: lol

No 3Shape entrees because 3Shape doesn't need to prove anything. They control this market and are the worldwide leader in Dental Labratory CAD systems. I'm pretty sure that says it all.