Non prep veneers

G

GarryB

Reaction score
As always, great advice guys.

I know there is never a one size fits all in our job, that's why the wealth of experience on here is so helpful.

Have a great weekend guys, here in the UK it's almost beer time.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I have yet to do a no prep veneer case, so I'm just kinda spit balling here. So I guess if you wanted to try something new this weekend, press a HT and or a MT single unit for that case, and see what you come up with, and go from there?

edit: so to answer your question a little better, if you were able to use a HT, and at that thinness, I would probably go 2 shades lighter with your experiment press of a single. I would really hate to have to surface stain a no prep veneer as it being that on the surface and trying to chameleon into a tooth (if your not trying to block out a color, or lightening a shade) may not look very good, and could look a little muddy?

I have not read through the hole post, but , for minimal or non-prep veneers, I have had very good results with the opal ingots from the impulse kit (O1 & O2)

Edit: The opal ingots don't grey out, like the pressed HT ingots.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
To be honest, I totally forgot about the 01 and 02 ingots. In fact, I called Ivoclar N. America, and she had to look those up, as they don't sell very many of those in the states.
Still a good call (as ps2 also mentioned),and option if the background is a nice color.

That is also why I suggest (maybe not mentioned in my posts?) of going at least 1-2 shades lighter, to try to counteract the lower value issue. Maybe the Impulse ingots or the MT ingots are a better choice.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
That is also why I suggest (maybe not mentioned in my posts?) of going at least 1-2 shades lighter, to try to counteract the lower value issue. Maybe the Impulse ingots or the MT ingots are a better choice.

While I agree, this may be a bit tricky, too.

Unless it is a darker shade and in the posterior region, I have stopped using HT ingots. LT and MT are my 'go-to' ingots.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

Unless it is a darker shade and in the posterior region, I have stopped using HT ingots. LT and MT are my 'go-to' ingots.
interesting. i am not getting the "grey" issues of the HT ingots. in fact i just pressed a MASSIVE case and even with 12+mm of material i got zero greying (HTBL3)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

I don't know if it was you and I before who both agreed with this, but I do too. I only use HTs 1 step up for posterior monolithic crowns (in my case for all shade ranges),and my "go-to" ingots are the LTs and MTs, but I had totally forgotten about the Impulse 01 and 02 ingots. It may be a good idea to get one of each just to have on hand, to help me remember them in that they could come in handy sometime.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
interesting. i am not getting the "grey" issues of the HT ingots. in fact i just pressed a MASSIVE case and even with 12+mm of material i got zero greying (HTBL3)

Would you trust those on no prep veneers, where were still not sure what the underlying tooth color is, and the possible .3 - .5mm thickness?
On all my posteriors I use the HTs 1 step lighter and don't have any graying issues either, maybe because they're thick enough, especially occlusally?

Last edited:
Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Always depends on the stump shade with these thin veneers because the stump shade is going to bleed through and most of the color you get is from the prep/stump shade. MT ingot is pretty opaque, I'd only use that ingot if I needed to do some slight blocking out of the stump shade. Just my opinion
Exactly, I am trying to have slight blocking out of stump shade with my press emax and layer with GC LiSi initial build up.

Last edited:
H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
Just did two big non prep cases, refractory is the best option but going to take ages to finish. I would say make refractory, let the dentist give you time and charge him extra. That is what I did back in Dubai

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I got zero greying (HTBL3)

Well, there is your answer... Even in HT, BL3 is pretty white ;). At the end, it is a case to case decision. But, I haven't used many HTs, since the Value/MT ingots came out.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I don't know if it was you and I before who both agreed with this, but I do too.

I think we did, in another post, a couple months ago. O2 works pretty well on cases, with heavy incisal, which have that whitish translucency, almost low value aspect.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Would you trust those on no prep veneers, where were still not sure what the underlying tooth color is, and the possible .3 - .5mm thickness?
On all my posteriors I use the HTs 1 step lighter and don't have any graying issues either, maybe because they're thick enough, especially occlusally?
no I wouldn't use HT. maybe LT with slight cutbacks

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
GarryB ,
So we are posting and sharing and we are trying to answer your questions and you mark my post with dislike?. Amazing!!. I hope that you just made a mistake and you still could correct it.Hmmmm2

We correct each other here in a friendly way we do not mark dislike.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
And for the case you're working on Tayeb, I like how you're going about it.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
GarryB ,
So we are posting and sharing and we are trying to answer your questions and you mark my post with dislike?. Amazing!!. I hope that you just made a mistake and you still could correct it.Hmmmm2

We correct each other here in a friendly way we do not mark dislike.
Maybe GarryB just dosen't like the idea of putting a GC product on e.max? Just a guess, but I wouldn't take it personally Tayeb.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
And for the case you're working on Tayeb, I like how you're going about it.
Thanks car 54, trying to hide slight discoloration underneath.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe GarryB just dosen't like the idea of putting a GC product on e.max? Just a guess, but I wouldn't take it personally Tayeb.
I am not really taking it personally at all CatamountRob, but I wonder sometimes.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Yes, it would have been nice for GarryB to have let you know why or what part he disagreed with, as that would make me wonder too. At least then "we" could reply back as to why we're doing or mentioned what we are doing or suggesting, and all of us could maybe learn from that reply, instead of just hitting the dislike button. Not trying to get on your case, GarryB, just my thoughts :)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Yes, it would have been nice for GarryB to have let you know why or what part he disagreed with, as that would make me wonder too. At least then "we" could reply back as to why we're doing or mentioned what we are doing or suggesting, and all of us could maybe learn from that reply, instead of just hitting the dislike button. Not trying to get on your case, GarryB, just my thoughts :)
LOL its much more fun this way!