NON PRECIOUS IMPLANT FRAMEWORKS

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
What are your thoughts and experiences using non precious alloys for implant frameworks layered with porcelain? My concern is the exposed metal at the interface, prone to oxide. How do you address this? Mechanical or chemical? Now I know its the weekend, lots of free time so I expect lots of answers.:cool:

GAP

GAP

Reaction score
What are your thoughts and experiences using non precious alloys for implant frameworks layered with porcelain? My concern is the exposed metal at the interface, prone to oxide. How do you address this? Mechanical or chemical? Now I know its the weekend, lots of free time so I expect lots of answers.:cool:

I've heard they use NP in Europe very frequently. I have a dr with 35 yrs under his belt and uses NP all the time for implants and said he never had any issues. If your looking to use NP I'd go with a Ti containing alloy (ie from Talladium, Aalbadent). Ok to use for implant superstructure according to manufacturers.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Lots of BAD information about this topic. Yes in Europe they use a metal that isn't precious and isn't Ti but in its description is different. CrCo is a different beast, its not a BASE metal that oxides or corrodes like many of the others we commonly call NP. What the problem is with certain alloys is a galvanic reaction between the implant fixture and the substructure. The father away on the periodic table the bigger the chance of issues. While the lab industry classifies metals as BASE if it has less than 25% of nobel alloy in it a base alloy can vary quite substantially. Milled CrCo is something that is clean and much different beast than a NP alloy with nickel or BE.

corona

corona

Reaction score
everything john said . Galvanic reaction is the only concern . If np is to be used then talladiums np is the only one that i know of that does not react with the implant fixture. Do the research and get an alloy company to back you up . The price of gold seems to be going down so maybe we can get back to using good old Highnoble .

M

martintay

Reaction score
You can also use milled Ti and layer it with GC -Ti ceramic. Using NP and Ti (milled eg Etkon ) is common practice in Europe . Bare in mind Straumann bought Etkon and promote the use of both of these alloys over there implants ! This is Etkons "Coron" - NP with GC Initial.
dsc0102.jpg dsc0097.jpg dave-57.jpg dave-70.jpg

Last edited:
Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I am milling my screw retained bridges and singles out of CrCo everyday . I have the same concern as John about galvanic reaction , but nobody will pay for a UCLA abutment+precious alloy in Greece these days . Ti is not an option for me yet , as I don't layer Ti frameworks . I have read somewhere here a study from Astra about this topic , and the were showing that it was ok to use . So I guess it should be fine .

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses so far, eat comments by all, and great work martintay; thanks for sharing. So, galvanic reaction aside...well not so quick. What are the effects of galvanic reaction to fixture and tissue (hard and soft)?

Now galvanic action aside how do you guys address the oxide build up after pocrelain firing. Do you glass bead or chemically treat to remove oxide? My indoctrination back in the day was that you leave the mating surface to the platform pristine, virgin. But that was using N & HN alloys and manufactured abutments which did not oxidize during porcelain cycles. Now with NP (CrCo) I experienced oxidation, much different to what John stated. If left untreated this may lead to tatooing the tissue around the margins over time. Even the screw access became tighter after firing due to oxidation growth, I know this can be addressed with a reamer. But this is happening to the exposed metal during firing and that means the mating surfaces are being altered by the oxide buildup. If glass beaded, then the mating surface is altered. Aside from using N & HN alloys how do you guys avoid this. Why would anyone use an alloy thats not only challenging in the laboratory but will cause clinical problems later down the road?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Good point Troy, I did not even think of the ox that forms on Chrome when you fire it and the results to the interface.

Perhaps they use a product like this to help this issue
Oxide Stop Precious

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Good point Troy, I did not even think of the ox that forms on Chrome when you fire it and the results to the interface.

Perhaps they use a product like this to help this issue
Oxide Stop Precious

Great tip with oxy stop John, I have some; however to the best of my knowledge its used when restaining and glazing or post soldering to protect the polished metal from re-oxidizing. It just seems to be a PITA to apply to the mating surfaces a full arch case with 8 abuts, more added steps to the process as if there isnt enough to be concerned about with a larger full arch cases. Seems like a step backward in technology rather than advancement. Thoughts?

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
The oxide layer on the highly machined interface almost rubs off. if needed a very light glass beading does the trick. I have had great success with them. Galvanic reactions..Haven't seen any evidence of it happening on milled CoCr.

M

martintay

Reaction score
We use glass beads - the oxide layer is a drawback !!

ICONDENTAL

ICONDENTAL

Reaction score
everything john said . Galvanic reaction is the only concern . If np is to be used then talladiums np is the only one that i know of that does not react with the implant fixture. Do the research and get an alloy company to back you up . The price of gold seems to be going down so maybe we can get back to using good old Highnoble .

Hi- You All.. there is a metal call NOBLEBOND wit a 25% Ru that controls Galvanic reactions.

Top Bottom