New Desktop 3D Printer. Projet 1200 from 3D Systems.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
0.1 microns sounds too far fetched to me...:rolleyes: Also single laser beam is super slow in comparison with DLP projector which cures a whole layer at the same time...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
After read all comments I did a quick "google" on the topic.

I found two companies selling 3D printer at the 5K range.

http://dwslab.com/
This one seems to have a 10 microns resolution, but I could not find their sales page.

http://oldworldlabs.com/home/product/owl-nano/
They sale under 5K and promises layer resolution of .1 Micron, is that right?

They even have a sample page where you can order and see it
http://oldworldlabs.com/home/faq/

Anyone wanna send them some STL file to see what they are made of?

No international shipping till the next summer though.

i'd love to see them try to push a layer thickness of .1 um. a feature resolution of .1 um maye, given it is a laser, but certainly not layers that thin. a print at that tiny size would indeed be ultra smooth, but the UV resin won't flow though an area that size, nor would the speed of build be anywhere close to acceptable.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
The old world nano pictures done look too convincing. I've seen 50 micron layer machines with nicer surface texture.

ProJetter

ProJetter

Reaction score
The old world nano pictures done look too convincing. I've seen 50 micron layer machines with nicer surface texture.

Right, but i guess this tíny machines comes without any recoating system. Result is a worst sidewall / surface.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Must have planerizer, re-coater, or something to make each layer perfectly flat, and to take away extra material without spreading the extra material beyond the intended pixel/voxel...

Or side wall surface texture will be terrible, like sandpaper. Ruins the claimed resolution.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
The thinner the layer the longer the print cycle. There needs to be a balance of productivity and Quality.

ProJetter

ProJetter

Reaction score
The thinner the layer the longer the print cycle. There needs to be a balance of productivity and Quality.

No, not really correct! With the combination of faster scanners, faster calculation of slices and the usage of dlp's you don't need to loose cycle time.
Slowest "member" of this process (talking about SLA) will always be the recoater.
F.e. Thinner layer = faster curing time

gdallc

gdallc

Reaction score
I have an Asiga Pico. It has done wonders for me as a one man lab. Would I buy a small 3d printer as a larger lab, maybe a lot of them for crowns and small bridges and something larger for printed models. The only issue I have is that the prints seem to be slightly overbuilt so I have to account for that. I am not sure if that is just the Asiga or if that is the nature of the beast with these small printers and the way they build.
I Just figured out my overbuild/fit issue. There is an erosion function in Asiga composer that will erode a number of pixels from the projected image to adjust fit. I had to put in a #2 in that setting and all is great.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I Just figured out my overbuild/fit issue. There is an erosion function in Asiga composer that will erode a number of pixels from the projected image to adjust fit. I had to put in a #2 in that setting and all is great.
good to hear. congratulations

Y

Yellowstone

Reaction score
Interesting 5 axis cnc milling machine link.

Nothing practical. Possibly under $3,500.00 cost.

Anodized "Deckel" green color.

Just fun to read about.

Link:

Products ? Pocket NC

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I know you can get a removable analog with a printed model, but what about removable dies for crowns and veneers? If so, can someone post a picture?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I know you can get a removable analog with a printed model, but what about removable dies for crowns and veneers? If so, can someone post a picture?

DSC_0233_zpsf94a0d22.jpg

DSC_0232_zps70ed8c5c.jpg

DSC_0218_zps78e077af.jpg

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
Materials continue to be the challenge when it comes to printing models that are consistently usable and that hold their dimensions over time,temp,shipping etc. Milling sinterable metal copings in my opinion is an option to consider, for us it has been wonderful with perfect fits and stupid crazy easy!!!!P.S. Rumor has it that one should not count the mill out for models just yet,nudge,wink...anyone heard of PEEK, just sayin...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Rkm, what kind of articulator do these fit on? Printer brand? Your printer? Thanks for the pics.

These fit on a very expensive 3 Shape articulator.

As CoolHand luke has pointed out,
you can import any connective design that will allow you to use the articulator of your choice.

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
Rkm, what kind of articulator do these fit on? Printer brand? Your printer? Thanks for the pics.

Looks like a 3DSystems Projet 3510, "Pearl Stone" Material. You can use model builder to put other simple hinge type systems other then 3Shapes pricey one.