New Dental Lab Ideas

R

Rup J.

Reaction score
We will be relocating our boutique dental lab in the near future. This is my first post and just joined this website today. What better place than this website to get great answers!

My question is, is there anything that I should be considering and NOT considering in the design of the dental lab, workstations, lunch area, patient waiting area (for in-house custom shades),storage for materials and better organzation. Anything helps? What have you guys seen that works and doesnt work?
Anything I should consider as technology advances...?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
We will be relocating our boutique dental lab in the near future. This is my first post and just joined this website today. What better place than this website to get great answers!

My question is, is there anything that I should be considering and NOT considering in the design of the dental lab, workstations, lunch area, patient waiting area (for in-house custom shades),storage for materials and better organzation. Anything helps? What have you guys seen that works and doesnt work?
a few questions first.
why are you relocating?
where to?
will your clientele follow?
do you utilize lean manufacturing?
c/b, dentures, ortho, full service?
employees?
size of space needed?

so many variables, but most come back to your business plan. it will have all the answers, and if it doesn't....time to revise it.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

If you've been in business for awhile, you shpuld be able to know what works with your current location(s),marketing, workflows, materials, and all the rest.
You should not expect to keep all your offices, except if they are shipping customers. Most states are very touchy about in-lab visits for custom shade taking. Check with thr state's medical board on where they draw the line on "practicing medicine" unless you are goingmt be in a state that allows Denturism and olan to be licensed for that.

Storage storage storage. Separation of clean and dirty and patient accesible areas.

And lots more.

@nvarras recently moved into a new location, and @XxJamesAxX did as well. They may have hard won recent knowledge suggestions for you, but it's ultimately up to your needs, and if you're doing the Boutique thing, it's far more about your business's personality and branding upon which most of your decisions rest.

But seriously Storage storage storage, massively over estimate electrical needs, ig hurts a lot less to put in a new breaker into an underused panel than to upgrade the entire panel after it'a full, plan your air compressor needs and positioning and airlines well with source cutoffs for each leg so the whole place doesn't stop if you need to close off a area for adding or fixing a piece of equip and a sane building layout that will not hinder workflow or communication.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Im moving next week too and setting up a new space (for the 10th time),there are quite a few threads here about lab design.. there is no one right answer.. but dedicated power is the best place to start.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Im moving next week too and setting up a new space (for the 10th time),there are quite a few threads here about lab design.. there is no one right answer.. but dedicated power is the best place to start.
Moving to Canada?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Have you considered something on wheels?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Actually I have, I was looking at an old MCI bus that I thought about gutting. We're buying our first home, the lab will be there for now.. maybe a satellite office downtown for pt meetings.

Top Bottom