New BruxZir Milling Machine

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Okay, so we took delivery of the new mill. It's being set up as we speak and should be cutting YZ by the end of the day, if not right after lunch. It's jammed in the room next to the Lava machine. I'm still not sure how we are going to fit the five axis in the place, but we have a week to get ready for that one.

This is the one we needed so badly though! Very excited about it :D

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00227_20110328_1200.jpg

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00226_20110328_1200.jpg
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00227_20110328_1200.jpg ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00226_20110328_1200.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
How many full-anatomy molars are you getting out of a disk?

I see one vacuum line coming down in the spindle assemby....what is the other for?

The one leading to the X-axis and 4th axis motor cover. Is that a second vacuum line? Weird location. Is that for fresh air inlet, or another vacuum line?

Aluminum frame, huh? Don't see that in other mills. Most use a metal/rock hybrid material that is cast and then CNC'd. It's very heavy, but strong and dampens vibrations and resists movement.

Maybe it's not aluminum?

(edit)
Well, I see VHF doesn't use cast frames either for it's small mills.
I guess that is what seperates a small mill from a big industrial unit.

I guess it is good for the money?

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
How many full-anatomy molars are you getting out of a disk?

I see one vacuum line coming down in the spindle assemby....what is the other for?

The one leading to the X-axis and 4th axis motor cover. Is that a second vacuum line? Weird location. Is that for fresh air inlet, or another vacuum line?

With DelCam sofware, we are fitting 16, but our goal with the newest update (today) is 18.5 units per puck, which is what Glidewell is averaging. This new mill will cut one hour off a 100mm disk.

It's a conduit I believe. The white assembly is on a spring and it encloses the area where the milling is done. The machine is remarkably quiet and clean. A lot of the components and features of this unit were drawn from the iCore machine:

YouTube - 750i 5 axes simultaneous dental milling CNC machine

Last edited:
araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
A big tray for pens, shakes, snickers etc cool :cool:

Curious - from a scheduling viewpoint, what are the worst things that can happen during production that will halt/delay production schedule targets? This technology is surely going to be pushing the limits for turning jobs round and out of the lab swiftly. And are there any limitations?

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Aluminum frame, huh? Don't see that in other mills. Most use a metal/rock hybrid material that is cast and then CNC'd. It's very heavy, but strong and dampens vibrations and resists movement.

Maybe it's not aluminum?

(edit)
Well, I see VHF doesn't use cast frames either for it's small mills.
I guess that is what seperates a small mill from a big industrial unit.

I guess it is good for the money?

The base is about 2" thick of solid plate aluminum. The fame is steel, with a composite shell. All the components are either German or Japanese. They have been running this model for several months before finalizing the design. They are changing the door on future models to a slightly different design. I'm guessing the unit weights close to 800 pounds, but not sure on that. Came in on a hydraulic pallet jack and lift truck.

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
A big tray for pens, shakes, snickers etc cool :cool:

Curious - from a scheduling viewpoint, what are the worst things that can happen during production that will halt/delay production schedule targets? This technology is surely going to be pushing the limits for turning jobs round and out of the lab swiftly. And are there any limitations?

The bottle neck at the moment is sintering. If anything is going to keep us from turning these out faster than a home delivery pizza, it's that.

But new materials in the pipeline are going to solve that problem, quickly.

As far as something happening during processing, of course a machine can stop working for some reason, but that's why I have multiple machines. Plus, I am part of a consortium or sorts that allows me to send my files to another machine in an emergency.

Last edited:
Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
Time for one of the conveyor belt sintering ovens - better warn your neighbours you need a wall down to fit it in - into their reception.

Last edited:
Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
Sorted
afarm4.static.flickr.com_3391_3448260788_fa0eab3ec0.jpg

Continuous sintering furnace
afarm4.static.flickr.com_3391_3448260788_fa0eab3ec0.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I think we're almost at the point now that if you drop a crown on the floor,it will take more time to look for it than to make a new one.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I looked into the conveyor. It would not work for Zirconia that well.

The belt will not hold the temperature, and a pusher mechanism would be installed.

Sintering tray gets "pushed" down the line by rod. I don't like a cold poker pushing a hot sintering tray.

A few companys make these from China, but all say the same thing.....1500C is possible, but they would have to make serious changes to the machine.
Price starts at only $25k and goes up with each module. Add more modules for faster speed.

industrial microwave dryer for fiber glass products, buy industrial microwave dryer for fiber glass products from alibaba.com

or MingKai on ebay..... or others.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
First run of BruxZir crowns at 2AM this morning. 19 units

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00230_20110329_0731.jpg

doug

doug

Reaction score
I like the "Made in USA" label on the puck!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
First run of BruxZir crowns at 2AM this morning. 19 units

Does the software nest it like that or does the tech have to lay it out in the puck?

Not including the capital expense for your equipment Mark what would you say the price is to produce a single molar? How often does a unit not pass qc and has to be remilled? How often does something bad happen in the sintering oven? How much tech time outside of scan/design?

I have been getting pounded with requests and I need to make some decisions. I certainly didn't think this would chase down EMAX but it appears it is growing rapidly.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Machine time

Hi Mark,
How long did it take to mill that puck? Or, what do you anticipate for mill time per unit.
Tanks,
Bob

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Looks impossible to cut-out those units without at least one breaking.

The center ring of Zirconia will be tough to deal with.

Don't like that nesting set-up.

I'd yell at my employee for designing that.

As you go around that ring of zirconia cutting, the last one you cut would be too heavy of a weight for just one sprue left.

The center ring should have a non-milled "rib" of zirconia going out to the edge of puck IMO.

Last edited:
T

tonester

Reaction score
After speaking with alot of owners,some mill owners like a mill that can be easily repaired inhouse due to simpler and logical engineering. I know a spindle can cost $600-$6,000. Not knowing what the Bruxzir maintenance agreement is, how would this mill be categorized as far as the expense of repalcing a spindle (low or high end$$)and ease of in house repairability.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
After speaking with alot of owners,some mill owners like a mill that can be easily repaired inhouse due to simpler and logical engineering. I know a spindle can cost $600-$6,000. Not knowing what the Bruxzir maintenance agreement is, how would this mill be categorized as far as the expense of repalcing a spindle (low or high end$$)and ease of in house repairability.

No idea. It's an NSK, so I would think it's more affordable than some of the German ones, but that isn't neccesarily true. Glidewell built this machine for their own labs. They have some very intellegent features that seem so simple, like built in vacuum hoses for easy clean up etc.

I have only had to replace the spindle in my Lava unit. None of my other mills have ever needed anything but routine maintenence. We have a calendar and do everything on a very strict schedule, and that is the key to longevity for every machine in the building..

C

charles007

Reaction score
Tony, that $600. spindle that only last 6 months to a year..... it maybe the only company that spindles need to be replaced regularly.....
Without naming names, that company maybe trying to convince everyone of a problem that really doesn't exist ? I made a lot of calls, no one ever replaced their spindle other than the DM......who knows?.... Did learn you can rebuild/repair/ those expensive spindles.. hope that is true ?
I think Mark confirmed my suspicions in his response on spindles breaking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom