Need help on Macro Photography

B

biodentalab

Reaction score
We just purchased Canon 600D to see if we can take photos on custom shade cases.
However, we are not able get the settings right for macro.....

We have 15-55 mm lens and 75--300 mm lens.
Also, we have a macro ring flash. Although we still have spots and need to see if we can get a diffuser..

Can someone help me get the settings right and if I need to buy 100mm macro lens? How to capture pics like you guys upload to the site?
We value your experience and input. We would appreciate your tips...

Thank you in advance...

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Try to turn your setting to a Av setting and with the little black wheel turn you a aperture to around 18. I will bounce around on the aperture and usually set it on 18 and 30.

Practice taking some pics of some shade tabs and play around.

I would go with the 75-300 mm lens for sure.

Honestly the macro setting is a struggle and you should get better quality images with the AV setting.

I don't know much though, my photos arent that good. Check out Bill Marais at Disa Dental Studio he is the king of photos.

Last edited:
ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
It's all about the ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
He's actually putting on class in Vegas I think in June or July.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
You need the macro lens . You can't get real macro photography without a macro lens . After that , a lot depends on the angle you are shooting . Bill Marais is awesome , if I was living in the U.S. I would attend his class in Vegas for sure . I am shooting at manual mode , 1/125 speed , f 32 , ISO 100 .

William

William

Reaction score
You need the macro lens . You can't get real macro photography without a macro lens . After that , a lot depends on the angle you are shooting . Bill Marais is awesome , if I was living in the U.S. I would attend his class in Vegas for sure . I am shooting at manual mode , 1/125 speed , f 32 , ISO 100 .

if you can get your hands on a copy of magne's book there is a nice section in there about how to shoot. i shoot roughly the same settings drizzt does. you can adjust the flash point on the teeth by adjusting the shooting angle.

M

martintay

Reaction score
Nikon R1 C1 Commander Kit

Just got this !
72848.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Nice but what's with the nipple clamps?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
where the mounting bracket martin?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Just hoping i can get the results i want !

Hey it's just like any other skill in this industry, gotta work your technique
until it's perfected. I'm far from perfecting photography!

M

martintay

Reaction score
Nice but what's with the nipple clamps?

They are actualy for attatching the subject to the tripod - so it should be fun trying to clip a crown too them !!

M

martintay

Reaction score
I would like to say a BIG thanks to a couple of guys on here for their advice. So nice busy tech`s still take the time and effort to help someone they don`t even know :)

D

donnypros

Reaction score
use aperture priority.
get a 100mm macro
if you use the r1 lights from nikon get the mounting bracket from photomed the one from nikon doesn't get the lights close enough to the lens for dental photos.
take photos at different apertures and compare until you see what you like for intraoral on my d90 I start around 25 and go up (smaller aperture). For extraoral lab stuff you may have to open the aperture and have a smaller number.
Remember larger aperture=higher number=larger depth of field=more light needed
smaller aperture=smaller number=lower depth of field=less light needed
you may also need to play with the flash settings.

M

martintay

Reaction score
use aperture priority.
get a 100mm macro
if you use the r1 lights from nikon get the mounting bracket from photomed the one from nikon doesn't get the lights close enough to the lens for dental photos.
take photos at different apertures and compare until you see what you like for intraoral on my d90 I start around 25 and go up (smaller aperture). For extraoral lab stuff you may have to open the aperture and have a smaller number.
Remember larger aperture=higher number=larger depth of field=more light needed
smaller aperture=smaller number=lower depth of field=less light needed
you may also need to play with the flash settings.

Thanks , smaller aperture = higher number ie f32 = less light = greater depth of field :)

Top Bottom