NicelyMKV

Reaction score
With monolithic MADNESS!!! Muahahahahha

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tom Moore
I’m a work smart, do more, charge less and make more dollars by capturing a bigger part of the market kind of guy. That makes the competition mad but it’s not a popularity contest.

My happiness comes form doing a good job of taking care of those I’m responsible for and having the money to make decisions based on what’s really best for me and not from fear of the ramifications of my decisions.

Easy to write but very hard to do.

Originally Posted by NicelyMKV
I think you probably are set up very efficient and getting better pricing on materials due to large bulk etc. so, you can probably charge less but profit the same or more compared to small guys like me killing myself to finish a finite amount of work at slightly higher prices.

Could be that......or it might be that his labor costs are didley squat....

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
Also stay away form that small gathering of techs in the corner with plaster in the welts of their shoes. They are removable techs that just buy teeth and make gums for them. They will just become confused with words like monolithic and it will cause them to scurry back to their pressure pots half full on oily looking water.

This should pick up the number of Friday posts.

This post cracked up me! I gotta share this with some of my denture tech friends!

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I sell NP/PFMs as low as $25 based on 20 units in the box and the customer sending directly to the lab in China. That price is based on volume only, not who is buying it be it lab or dentist.

We buy a lot of materials and technology and get it cheaper because of our volume and the part of the world its purchased in.

By government mandate we furnish medical/dental and a retirement plan and after the first of the year paid vacation to all our employees in China.

We have invested heavily in all the new technology that allows for faster production with less hand labor and we have not increased the price other than gold in 10 years. It amazing what can be done when the lab is run as a business.

My gross profit percentage per unit is probably lower than most that post here but my volume allows me to put a lot of dollars in the bank compared to my cost per unit.

The business of business is business.

Last edited:
ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
I sell NP/PFMs as low as $25 based on 20 units in the box and the customer sending directly to the lab in China. That price is based on volume only, not who is buying it be it lab or dentist.

We buy a lot of materials and technology and get it cheaper because of our volume and the part of the world its purchased in.

By government mandate we furnish medical/dental and a retirement plan and after the first of the year paid vacation to all our employees in China.

We have invested heavily in all the new technology that allows for faster production with less hand labor and we have not increased the price other than gold in 10 years. It amazing what can be done when the lab is run as a business.

My gross profit percentage per unit is probably lower than most that post here but my volume allows me to put a lot of dollars in the bank compared to my cost per unit.

The business of business is business.

Good for you!!!! I can post opposite story about our lab business strategy , but with the same result, we have big profits too. There are many ways to make a profit. But good business ethics not only about money, it is also about its employees.

"A business may be a multi-million seller, but does it use good business ethics and do people care? There are popular soft drinks and fast food restaurants that have been fined time and time again for unethical behavior. Business ethics should eliminate exploitation, from the sweat shop children who are making sneakers to the coffee serving staff who are being ripped off in wages. Business ethics can be applied to everything from the trees cut down to make the paper that a business sells to the ramifications of importing coffee from certain countries.

In the end, it may be up to the public to make sure that a company adheres to correct business ethics. If the company is making large amounts of money, they may not wish to pay too close attention to their ethical behavior. There are many companies that pride themselves in their correct business ethics, but in this competitive world, they are becoming very few and far between."

Our products made in USA. Who can say this out-laud this times?

Last edited:
CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Good for you!!!! I can post opposite story about our lab business strategy , but with the same result, we have big profits too. There are many ways to make a profit. But good business ethics not only about money, it is also about its employees.

"A business may be a multi-million seller, but does it use good business ethics and do people care? There are popular soft drinks and fast food restaurants that have been fined time and time again for unethical behavior. Business ethics should eliminate exploitation, from the sweat shop children who are making sneakers to the coffee serving staff who are being ripped off in wages. Business ethics can be applied to everything from the trees cut down to make the paper that a business sells to the ramifications of importing coffee from certain countries.

In the end, it may be up to the public to make sure that a company adheres to correct business ethics. If the company is making large amounts of money, they may not wish to pay too close attention to their ethical behavior. There are many companies that pride themselves in their correct business ethics, but in this competitive world, they are becoming very few and far between."

Ed,
Tom just said that his employees get medical/dental, a retirement plan and in a couple months, paid vacation. While he didn't say it, I suspect they also receive the prevailing wage or better for the area they are in. What else is there that you would like him to do?
So he can't say his products are American made. So what, neither can a hell of a lot of other companies.
I dont know about you, but almost everything that goes into my crowns is imported. Are my crowns, "American made" or just "assembled in America"?

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Ed,
Tom just said that his employees get medical/dental, a retirement plan and in a couple months, paid vacation. While he didn't say it, I suspect they also receive the prevailing wage or better for the area they are in. What else is there that you would like him to do?
So he can't say his products are American made. So what, neither can a hell of a lot of other companies.
I dont know about you, but almost everything that goes into my crowns is imported. Are my crowns, American made, or just assembled in America?

sadly that says it all. try checking out where all your supplies come from. ALL of them. not just your waxes (very few made here anymore),and investments, but take a peek at your shipping products. your packing tape. do you use bubble wrap? how about printer ink? in fact what kind of computer are you using? how about milling machine? what kind of pens and pencils are you using around the lab? seriously....assembled in america is about as good as it gets nowadays. though i am all for making as much as possible stay here in the states. its a long and costly road!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
"Our products made in USA. Who can say this out-laud this times? "

I can proudly say Not Me!

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I still don't get the whole full contour ZI thing. Every single one of my customers don't want to deal with them and they all say the same. "Why does it has to be sooo strong?" ( if something has to break, it better be the crown and not the tooth) and "It would take me 3 burrs to cut that s*** off if I have to." So why not keeping it in emax? I strongly believe that the monolithic Zi is pushed so hard just to utilize the milling machines. Those monsters are just too expensive to sit around. There had to be something invented to keep them running. But is this really in the interest of the patient? I do believe milling is something that will continue to grow as a part of industrializing our work and will never go away, but I think the material choice is something to be reviewed and to be improved.
Subrisi,
FYI, hardness and flexure strength do not necessarily go hand and hand. Yes, we should be looking at hardness when evaluating crown removal. But, e.max and zirconia are incredibly similar in hardness. Thus, removal of each requires bout the same effort. In addition, Axis dental has developed a rotary tool for cutting zirconia crowns. It's call Zircut.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi,
There are really two distinct form of monolithic restorations. The fist, e.max is monochromatic. When fabrication full contour zirconia one can multicolor the restoration in the green state. This results in a monolithic multicolored restoration. Yes, the science of coloring green state zirconia has a way to go. But, I know there are many companies working to improve the materials and process around for this proceedure.
In conclusion, at some point, a monolithic multicolor restoration will likely compete esthetically with the brush.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score

Ed, We have been visited by the US FDA here and our manufacturing facility in China. We are ISO certified and track all materials by who we bought them from and lot numbers. We like you are by law expected to do this and make sure the place we buy materials from is vetted all the way to the manufacture of the materials.

Do you think the American customer buying any product should be expected to pay 2 or 3 times as much even if its a dentist so it is made here and you have a good paying job?

As far as unethical and down right crooks, these are our fellow Americans buying offshore removing the country of origin and selling it to their unsuspecting customers as their's at domestic prices. I have been up front with everyone I've sold to from day one. At $25 for a NP/PFM I'm sure not greedy. Lets band together to stop these people they are hurting my business by association and taking money they don't deserve.

I'm sure others and myself would be very interested in your business plan. Please write it and post it. Lots of domestic labs are having problems and if you are very profitable they need the help.

If you will reread my first post you will see I do not make big profits on anything. I sell a lot of units at a very small profit to make the dollars I get to keep.

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
If they can have multiple different shaded disks for Zircon, why haven't they made say a 14mm disk that is light or pure on top with a shaded bottom? This gradient would go a long way to help with that incisal transition. It must have something to do with how the disks is isso pressed??? Just wondering....

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
If they can have multiple different shaded disks for Zircon, why haven't they made say a 14mm disk that is light or pure on top with a shaded bottom? This gradient would go a long way to help with that incisal transition. It must have something to do with how the disks is isso pressed??? Just wondering....

I'm amazed at how much better the allz looks compared to what we where tuning out just months ago but for us its been more about the tech training than the disks. I agree a multi colored disk would be a nice addition to our posterior allz work. I was not very interested in selling allz when it first came out but I'm cross-selling it to my PFM customers and it working. They seem much happier with the esthetic and I find easier to coerce them into a more appropriate prep design. Ive been sending current customers coupons for two free allz posterior crowns and they come back almost immediately and the conversion rate so far is OK.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I've always wondered how they make denture teeth? I've seen some beautiful shades and translucencies.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
They are made in multi part molds

M

martintay

Reaction score
Hi Tom , I`m new to DLN and from the UK . Can i ask about the quality of these crowns and the rough average price of a NP PFM in the states .

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I will PM you this info

Hi Tom , I`m new to DLN and from the UK . Can i ask about the quality of these crowns and the rough average price of a NP PFM in the states .

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i told you all the future was automated. i can prove to you it is now simply a matter of time. not only will ALL of you lose your jobs, ALL of your products will be homogenous. as indistinct as drawing a line in the sand over whose smartphone is actually better as no empirical scale will exist to measure it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/b...-robots-is-changing-global-industry.html?_r=1

a 4 page article outlining mankind's future with robots.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
i told you all the future was automated. i can prove to you it is now simply a matter of time. not only will ALL of you lose your jobs, ALL of your products will be homogenous. as indistinct as drawing a line in the sand over whose smartphone is actually better as no empirical scale will exist to measure it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/b...-robots-is-changing-global-industry.html?_r=1

a 4 page article outlining mankind's future with robots.

Carefull Luke,you don't want to agitate the dinos.

astatic.fjcdn.com_comments_bitch_please__048837cc955c8198ee6c4196554a3e91.jpg
astatic.fjcdn.com_comments_bitch_please__048837cc955c8198ee6c4196554a3e91.jpg

Bumfrey

Bumfrey

Reaction score
didn't know how too delete this. That is all.

Last edited: