Moisture management

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
So what methods are you using for moisture and humidity mitigation?

Dehumidifiers plugged in at creation points?
Vents and fans?

What works, what doesn't? What have you found worthless or wonderful?

My windows are steaming up and it's even noticeable walking through the doorway into or out of the processing room if I've been processing that day, especially most of a day. Currently I have moisture absorbers at dead air points and at creation points. They can't keep up.

Should it matter, the processing room is around 250sq ft, in 1920's lathe and plaster construction.

Never seen anyone talk about it, maybe I'm just the one ditz who missed the boat. Throw me a raft would'ja?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Nothing here, really... I live in one of the lowest humidex places in the whole country. . Although I run a refrigerated air drier on the compressed air line, we'd rarely get any condensation in the moisture traps with the air drier turned off. Never had steamed windows. On the other hand, at my winter hideout during rainy season, when running the AC my windows would always fog up...but on the outside.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Nothing here, really... I live in one of the lowest humidex places in the whole country. . Although I run a refrigerated air drier on the compressed air line, we'd rarely get any condensation in the moisture traps with the air drier turned off. Never had steamed windows. On the other hand, at my winter hideout during rainy season, when running the AC my windows would always fog up...but on the outside.
It's too cold up there to hold much moisture in the outside air I expect.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
We’ve never had any moisture problems (knock on wood) our battle is Dust. We also battle heat in certain rooms in the summer. Mainly one, the finishing room because the vacuum runs about 8hrs a day in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
I find a good antiperspirant up top and maybe a couple cotton pads on the bottom side keep it in check.... Some days a 'doo rag helps keep it out of my eyes...
"My production is directly related to my body temperature"

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents - but you had an AC guy you trust come by and look at the direction of the
vent vs AC duct placement?
It might be simple case of air flow direction . . . not that the solution will be easy.
Perhaps you can just get hire a windbag from our capitol to stand at the door and blow . . .
LCM

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents - but you had an AC guy you trust come by and look at the direction of the
vent vs AC duct placement?
It might be simple case of air flow direction . . . not that the solution will be easy.
Perhaps you can just get hire a windbag from our capitol to stand at the door and blow . . .
LCM
Minisplit mounted midroom on the long wall. Rented space. I wish. Thanks though!

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I think denture fabricating labs because of boiling procedures for dentures tend to have excess moisture. So adequate suction could eliminate the problem, on the other hand C&B labs don’t have that problem, a good dehumidifier in the corner hooked to a drain or a pump to outside is enough to extract the unwanted moisture. I have mine set at 45%-50% humidity level.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Get a couple inexpensive hygrometers and place them around. Find where youre greatest humidity is and try to figure the cause. Ive found humidity can be very localized. Air movement is a must. Youre inside level will vary according to outside temps. Do you have a fresh air intake or are you sealed up? We need the fresh air coming in. If you don't, when you run an exhaust fan, youre likely pulling air back in through the furnace exhaust since its the easiest path for air to flow. Enjoy some carbon monoxide? :eek:

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I think denture fabricating labs because of boiling procedures for dentures tend to have excess moisture. So adequate suction could eliminate the problem, on the other hand C&B labs don’t have that problem, a good dehumidifier in the corner hooked to a drain or a pump to outside is enough to extract the unwanted moisture. I have mine set 45%-50% humility level.
That's probably where I need to go as well.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Get several a couple inexpensive hygrometers and place them around. Find where youre greatest humidity is and try to figure the cause. Ive found humidity can be very localized. Air movement is a must. Youre inside level will vary according to outside temps. Do you have a fresh air intake or are you sealed up? We need the fresh air coming in. If you don't, when you run an exhaust fan, youre likely pulling air back in through the furnace exhaust since its the easiest path for air to flow. Enjoy some carbon monoxide? :eek:
I am too sealed up. Working on that...

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Minisplit mounted midroom on the long wall. Rented space. I wish. Thanks though!
Just wondering if that vent has an obstruction in the duct work going to exterior . . .
LCM

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if that vent has an obstruction in the duct work going to exterior . . .
LCM
Hmm, I don't think there is any vent on those, just recirculates after passing the active elements. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong , but I've never seen one installed like that. Even some normal home units do not use exterior air, but the intake vent is at the air handler or a return vent brings air to the handler which pushes the air back out after passing the active portions.

I will check though. Thanks!