Milling Machine Materials

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I'm becoming more fascinated with the milling side of Cad-Cam, although I've told myself I wouldn't go there. From what I have observed on the DLN, it appears that one is limited to specific milling materials based on the manufacturer of the machine. So, if one purchases a Roland mill, can he get Lava Plus materials to mill or does he have to purchase the Jensen CAD-Cam system? What determines which materials you can obtain?

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
In general the mills are catagorized by wet vs. dry and standard puck sizes vs. proprietary shapes/sizes. Other items to consider are open vs. closed mills and 3 +1, 4, 4 +1 and simultaneous 5 axis mills.

The Roland DWX-50 is a dry mill so it will mill standard size pieces of wax, PMMA (acrylic) and zirconia. The mill comes with fixtures for pucks and blocks. Most people are using standard 98mm pucks. The thickness of the puck is defined by the size of the restoration you are milling. The DWX-50 is a simultaneous 5 axis mill which means it can move in all 5 axis at the same time. One advantage of a simultaneous 5 axis mill is the ability to fit larger restorations into a thinner puck by tilting the restoration in the CAM software.

Wet mills can grind lithium disilicate blocks such as emax. Instead of using a wet mill, Roland customers cut wax and then press emax.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
In general the mills are catagorized by wet vs. dry and standard puck sizes vs. proprietary shapes/sizes. Other items to consider are open vs. closed mills and 3 +1, 4, 4 +1 and simultaneous 5 axis mills.

The Roland DWX-50 is a dry mill so it will mill standard size pieces of wax, PMMA (acrylic) and zirconia. The mill comes with fixtures for pucks and blocks. Most people are using standard 98mm pucks. The thickness of the puck is defined by the size of the restoration you are milling. The DWX-50 is a simultaneous 5 axis mill which means it can move in all 5 axis at the same time. One advantage of a simultaneous 5 axis mill is the ability to fit larger restorations into a thinner puck by tilting the restoration in the CAM software.

Wet mills can grind lithium disilicate blocks such as emax. Instead of using a wet mill, Roland customers cut wax and then press emax.

Thanks for the info, but "Can you get Lava pucks to mill in a Roland DWX-50, or a Katana mill, or any other mill?"

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I guess what I'm trying to say is: If you have a milling machine that will accomodate a Lava puck, do you have to order it from Jensen or 3M or can you possibly get it through other vendors? I'm just wondering if this process is similar to what Ivoclar did with their Emax products...you had to take their course and buy their furnace to become a "certified partner" lab which would allow you to order the Emax pellets from them. They were the exclusive distributor.

C

CadCamTech

Reaction score
Yes, the only way to get any lava material is through Jensen now, and they all are typically only milled on 3M validated mills also sold by Jensen, with the exception of Lava ultimate which can be milled on cerec, e4d, or outsourced to straumann milling center. Of course there may be ways of getting the material in non 3M approved mill but you'll still have to buy it from Jensen

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Yes, the only way to get any lava material is through Jensen now, and they all are typically only milled on 3M validated mills also sold by Jensen, with the exception of Lava ultimate which can be milled on cerec, e4d, or outsourced to straumann milling center. Of course there may be ways of getting the material in non 3M approved mill but you'll still have to buy it from Jensen

Thank you! Are the Lava pucks a lot more expensive than other comparable zirconia pucks?

C

CadCamTech

Reaction score
Yeah the material is expensive compared to many on the market- biggest size is around $230 and can fit 12-14 copings or 6-8 full contour units.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
This is really more of a question of open. Vs. closed. Lava and related materials and equiptment is closed. So, if you desire to mill 3M Lava products you wil need to purchas a system through Jensen.
On the other hand, there are many fully open systems. These systems can be open to materials, tools. From an open CAD perspective you can send STL files to many different outsource facilities.
B

Top Bottom