Milling Ceramic Crown - How long takes?

renato

renato

Reaction score
I know the answer will depend on a kind of many factors, but what is a reasonable milling time for a full countour emax to be milled?

I am testing the imes 450i using Sum3D and an Anatomic Crown toke over 1 hour to be milled... actually it toke 1 hour and 22 minutes.... I hate my old compact mil from Sirona, but it does the same job in under 20 minutes.

Would be helpfull to know the Cam you guys are using and the milling time you can do a emax Crowns

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I know the answer will depend on a kind of many factors, but what is a reasonable milling time for a full countour emax to be milled?

I am testing the imes 450i using Sum3D and an Anatomic Crown toke over 1 hour to be milled... actually it toke 1 hour and 22 minutes.... I hate my old compact mil from Sirona, but it does the same job in under 20 minutes.

Would be helpfull to know the Cam you guys are using and the milling time you can do a emax Crowns
theres no reason it should take that long! something is wrong
10-20min prob avg. maybe 30min depending on tool size/mill/etc

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I think the 250i does it in around 30 mins. PlanMill and Cerec mill the occlusal and intaglio at the same time that's why it is faster. Also not using as small of tools on the occlusal.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score

You need to re evaluate your strategy, 1.2 hours is what it takes to mill a 6 unit bridge on some mills. Who did you buy the stuff from, I know the 450i with sum3d should easily cut a full crown in 15 min.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

renato

renato

Reaction score
Planmill can do it in 10-15 min

Chairside units have 2 burns and will mill faster milling both sides at the same time.

I am interested to know how the other real laboratory milling units are doing, such as imes, haas, datron, vfx, zubbler, rolandg so on

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
I can mill a molar from a c14 block in 22 minutes with a "modified" sum3D strategy on an IMES 450. The stock ones are terrible. Watch how many times it has to flip the holder and wait for water, thats where all your time is burned up. You can also turn the machine speed up in the bottom right corner, I always ran it at 140%, even with a modified strategy.

renato

renato

Reaction score
I called CAP US and their support is great, they calculated a file using their strategy and I am milling this test right now.

My Sum3D strategy time was about 43 min but the real milling time was 1 hour 22 minutes

CAP strategy says 18 minutes the real milling time still going lets see

renato

renato

Reaction score
Ok the milling time from CAP Strategy was 36:24, not bad compared to Cristofoli strategy 1:22:45

The time that Sum3D estimate is around 18 minute the real time is double, is that right?

I mean, Sum3D will calculate the number 50% bellow the real milling time? Or should I be concern about how imes parameters is set as well?

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
18 minutes is actual mill time. Like I said it doesn't count all the times it has to flip the holder, wait for water, change the bur etc. Change machine to 140% and it will be closer to what the estimate is.

renato

renato

Reaction score
18 minutes is actual mill time. Like I said it doesn't count all the times it has to flip the holder, wait for water, change the bur etc. Change machine to 140% and it will be closer to what the estimate is.

Sorry for the silly question, but what do you mean by change the machine to 140%?

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
I don't have access to the icam software right now but in the bottom right corner there is a button that says 100%, change it to 140%

renato

renato

Reaction score
I don't have access to the icam software right now but in the bottom right corner there is a button that says 100%, change it to 140%

I found the 140%... it changes all parameters to 140% like all...
I will try it in a second ... thnaks!

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
Greatly improves your milling time, our machine makes a light "clunking" noise as the Y axis changes direction but 2 years later not a single issue. :)

M

MJFDDS

Reaction score
Are you getting much breakage off the metal holder at this speed?

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
how precise are the fits from that machine?

Good. Havent had any complaints since I started using it. Been using it for over a year now and I have Dr's tell me not to change a thing because they love how cases are turning out. Perfect contacts and margins every time.

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
And honestly I would love to have one of these more advanced milling machines but I inherited this mill from a family member. Just using what I have available and things are working out. I am looking into purchasing something more advanced in the next year or 2

L

labtek

Reaction score
And honestly I would love to have one of these more advanced milling machines but I inherited this mill from a family member. Just using what I have available and things are working out. I am looking into purchasing something more advanced in the next year or 2

the reason i was asking is that I saw a dentist trying to sell one that was about 5 years old and was wondering how well it would handle about 30-40 emax per month. the reason for selling was that it was easier and less expensive for her to pay a lab $89 to make her emax for her. With blocks being $28-$32 each, she had a good point. I would still rather outsource my emax until the price of the blocks came down another 30-40%.

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
the reason i was asking is that I saw a dentist trying to sell one that was about 5 years old and was wondering how well it would handle about 30-40 emax per month. the reason for selling was that it was easier and less expensive for her to pay a lab $89 to make her emax for her. With blocks being $28-$32 each, she had a good point. I would still rather outsource my emax until the price of the blocks came down another 30-40%.

I run about 20-30 units through it every month. I am very happy with the machine and the product it makes. It did take a little time to dial in the contacts but once you do you will be happy. It would be worth it IMO if you get a good deal on it. For my situation it works perfectly for the time being. The blocks are expensive but having the capability to control everything in lab makes it worth it to me. You definitely have to clean the thing every week and if you have the option to get maintenance I would do it. I had to have everything reset once since it's an older unit but after the tech did his thing I was good to go. I hear there is a new planmill coming out but I will hold out until I can afford something with more capabilities

Top Bottom