Milling Angled bars

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
How easy/hard is it to mill angled screw holes on implant bridges?
say i export from the cad with an angle of 13 degrees, Does the cam have any issues creating a tool path for the interfaces, screw holes and screw seating area?
Any help would be much appreciated!

P

PinAn

Reaction score
It's very easy in I-camV4,
u need let program know where is the hole,
and setting the outside angel and inside angel.

Easy and Simple.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
as long as you can rotate the restoration in the nesting software so that the hole has an angle of 10 degrees or less, you will mill just fine on any 5 axis machine. so this is highly dependent on your CAM software.

having only used Laserdenta and its software i can tell you that with the Laserdenta its the Puck that tilts to accommodate the directions. tilts + and - 10 deg for a 20 deg swing.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We can go up to 50 degrees divergent/convergent angles on any Two "holes" or abutments or ?? (because of my mill design)

SUM3d realise the holes automatically.

Nice feature! Piece of cake!

A

arnie16403

Reaction score
Cam software has no limitation, the only limitation on putting angled holes in is on the mill. Most cad software will ouput a second file for use in locating the holes, this is the most accurate way to mill implants. 3Shape outputs an xml file, exocad has what they refer to as a construction file. Most cam software have an alternative way of placing the implant for the holes also, this is a less accurate way because it is just aligning with the hole, Have you toke a good look at what some of the output files look like, (stl) these are just assumption, and yes they can be accureate enough to use I have done plenty of bars without having the placement files and doing it buy what i call manually placing. I don't ever mill the implant geometry that is actuallly on the bar it mills to a template that is placed onto the bar. I big problem with doing anything with multiple implants is the accuracy of the scan bodies, be careful of this, especially those of you with exocad I know there are junk scan bodies being used that work fine for abutment but wont ever makeing a nice fitting bar.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I had bad batch of scan bodys.

Variation in length of +/- 100um!!

Needless to say, I no longer have those and feel the need to make my own system and scanner to go along with it.

BIG problem. BIG solution!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
wow, whose scan bodies were like that? were they simple faceted cylinders or something? even a triangular prismatic body would be a snap-in-place item.

hardly worthy of designing a new scanner. new body, sure, but new scanner? seems a stretch.

greeny

greeny

Sponsors
Reaction score
Cam software has no limitation, the only limitation on putting angled holes in is on the mill. Most cad software will ouput a second file for use in locating the holes, this is the most accurate way to mill implants. 3Shape outputs an xml file, exocad has what they refer to as a construction file. Most cam software have an alternative way of placing the implant for the holes also, this is a less accurate way because it is just aligning with the hole, Have you toke a good look at what some of the output files look like, (stl) these are just assumption, and yes they can be accureate enough to use I have done plenty of bars without having the placement files and doing it buy what i call manually placing. I don't ever mill the implant geometry that is actuallly on the bar it mills to a template that is placed onto the bar. I big problem with doing anything with multiple implants is the accuracy of the scan bodies, be careful of this, especially those of you with exocad I know there are junk scan bodies being used that work fine for abutment but wont ever makeing a nice fitting bar.

i was going to reply but arnie covered most of the bases!

the most important file for milling the most accurate bars and abutments is the construction info (from exocad, also referred to as an xml file universally) which includes the screw channel/abutment axis and the height/location. once this information is imported into your CAM software, you can add the specific implant geometry and relative milling strategy.

we tend to keep our larger angles within +/- 25 degrees for the A and B axis on the D5. an important attribute of our machine is the center of the blank which is at the exact center of the A and B axis. it limits the forces on the blank from milling these large angles... and limits exaggerated errors as you get further from the center of the axis.

Last edited: