Milled flexible metal free partials?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"We attempted to contact the manufacturer of these and was told they will not fabricate them for a lab." ? so are they targeting docs directly? In UK approved milling centres are providing to labs.

"are these some sort of fiber composite?" no I THINK they are similar to acetal. EDIT: they are polymer so like peek/pekton. Nice idea but apart from being a bit thinner and stronger (Maybe!) the hygiene is just as poor as acrylic RPD's and with those kind of clasp designs retention is not going to be optimal however way you spin it.

"The oiginal brexit breturns ..Beer" now we are leaving Europe I'm allowed to talk and trade with the rest of the world again :)

"Ever get rid of that Cerec door stop?" that went in the Bin several years ago! but funny you should say that... new toy arriving today...finally!!! don't wanna derail this thread so more later

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
They say absence makes the heart grow fonder.

In this case we should make an exception:cool:

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
"We attempted to contact the manufacturer of these and was told they will not fabricate them for a lab." ? so are they targeting docs directly? In UK approved milling centres are providing to labs.

"are these some sort of fiber composite?" no I THINK they are similar to acetal. EDIT: they are polymer so like peek/pekton. Nice idea but apart from being a bit thinner and stronger (Maybe!) the hygiene is just as poor as acrylic RPD's and with those kind of clasp designs retention is not going to be optimal however way you spin it.

"The oiginal brexit breturns ..Beer" now we are leaving Europe I'm allowed to talk and trade with the rest of the world again :)

"Ever get rid of that Cerec door stop?" that went in the Bin several years ago! but funny you should say that... new toy arriving today...finally!!! don't wanna derail this thread so more later
paul why do you say "maybe" when you say peek/pekton comparative strength maybe higher?

i can show you undeniably it is, far higher than acetal and pmma.

T

the_prez3

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the deal is. When we contacted the company that we have heard of doing these, we were advised they only work for docs and don't accept any outsourcing from another lab. So I was hoping someone on this forum had a source they could share.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"paul why do you say "maybe" when you say peek/pekton comparative strength maybe higher?
i can show you undeniably it is, far higher than acetal and pmma."

I havnt seen the data or have experience with it that's why "maybe" :)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
indeed it is. nothing added except some remachining curves so it seats without fitting.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
"paul why do you say "maybe" when you say peek/pekton comparative strength maybe higher?
i can show you undeniably it is, far higher than acetal and pmma."

I havnt seen the data or have experience with it that's why "maybe" :)
let me see if i can forward you some stuff. whats a good email to contact you at?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
hi luke , [email protected]

I'm sure theres plenty of stuff online ive just not had the time to look into it more, I don't have any clients interested in using peek/pekton so other things taking priority.
I try not to make uninformed opinions these days so if I don't know then maybe it is..maybe it aint :)

How many years of in vivo data is their now,about 5 years I thought. That's why my main clients are not using it, no long term data yet. yes I know its been used in the body for years prior to dental but the oral environment obviously has its own unique conditions. Is there even any independent data for oral use yet?

theres no real commercial benefit for me either as my bar work and chrome work is outsourced, I'm to busy with other things to do it in house.

M

mark Rosenberg

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about these metal free partials that they are milling now? Recommendations on where to send one to try them out? Thanks

Jason
We mill acetal resin RPDs frequently, the pucks come in most of the Vita shades but some of the darker ones are kinda funky. We are also just got "certified to mill the Solvay Ultaire High performance polymer, its a lot more $$$ than the acetal and the color is an off white, akin to bone. it will be interesting to see how this stuff does. you can email me with your contact info and we can talk. [email protected]

M

mark Rosenberg

Reaction score
are these the ones?

https://dpsdental.com/2017/05/09/introducing-solvay-ultaire-akp-partials/

would love to try these but main problems as I see it - limited clasp design including no gingivally approaching clasps. Poor hygiene as no way to do skeletal kennedy type designs - Probably the most important reason for doing a chrome from a clinical perspective= oral hygiene/lower biological cost.

So very case selective id say.
your right, there are limitations on clasp style, and case selection. no I bars, they have there own DME files to upload into whatever design software your using. We are using 3shape for RPD designs. They like you to use their clasp designs which are short and stubby, you can go into a deeper undercut .25 the major connectors are 2mm thick to obtain the rigidity needed, any mandibular RPD must use a lingual plate. Im not up on my kennedy classifications but if your replacing lower anterior teeth you might want to use CrCo, lingual bars won't be strong enough. Also the color is terrible, its like a birch white, same color of my old road king, its like a bone color. they say you can shade it using the GC composite primer and the optiglaze material, Im in the process of exploring that now. other possible issues are its pretty pricey, repairability, and adding teeth to an existing RPD. We are in the process of learning more about it.