Millbox Sum3d, Quick question.

R

richuk

Reaction score
Hi everyone hope you're all well (its been a while since I've posted)

Last week we have upgraded our Roland dwx50 to the dwx 52.

With this upgrade we needed to update the cam software and now using millbox.

Okay bare with me on the next bit....

Now, as I'm sure you're all aware the Roland dwx 52 has 6 slots for individual milling discs and with this we use millbox to select which slot it goes in to be milled.

So say you have to add a new milling disc and say you put it into slot 'A' it mills you take it out and so on, go to the next day you start a fresh with used stock and ones been put into slot 'A' i now can't use the original milling disc i inputed yesterday because it will only let me put it in to slot 'A' and gives no option to say put it in to slot 'B'.

Does that kind of make sense.

Simply a milling disc i put in to slot A, i now want to put into slot B but it won't let me.

Is there something I've missed to let me do this?

Heres an example, 'E' is selected as thats what i used when adding the milling disc to millbox and now i can't select any other letter...
IMG_2993.jpg
[/URL]

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I will check if I have the same problem after couple of days and if, I will contact my technical support.

Sorry for offtopic, but I have a problem with disc changer scanning disks and not taking any of them.... after that the machine starts to mill empty holder. Reseller says it can be related to the fact that the machine is connected to the computer trough LAN modem, that is connected to the machine via USB. Can it be the problem?

W

wanny-

Reaction score
Hi @richuk

Just wanted to help out on this quick. This disc holder input workflow for Millbox(MB) was designed this way with Roland. From what I know this is a software design requirement for CIMSystem as the CAM provider for the DWX52DC. Changing the disc holder id through MB is not possible through the MB interface. For the 52DC, the CAM output file is driving VPanel on which disc holder. I think this is also it's more inline with Roland's design philosophy of keeping it simple though but this is just my observation. I don't know if there are potentially other machine damaging implications if they did allow users to change it.

There is some notes on this in the CAP knowledgebase showing this limitation if it helps but what we've recommended is to mark the disc with the disc holder id of what you are using to work within the interface limitations.
https://support.cap-us.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000086293#disc_changer_menu_detail

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
It is correct, the placement is saved in the block input file. You can however place the correctly labeled holder in any slot.

R

richuk

Reaction score
Update: it can be done. I don't fully know how. It's was literally a change of a number in one of the notepad files.

D

Dwight Blair

Reaction score
Hello @richuk ,

When using the DWX-52DC, if a material disc is placed into adapter A (for example) and you intend to reuse the material, you would be able to select the partially-used material in MillBox (based on the name you gave the file) which would lock you into the same adapter associated with the previous job(s). If you are seeking to move partially-used material to another adapter (from adapter A to adapter B for example),then you would set up a new material disc in MillBox. Unfortunately the previous jobs with not show on the new selection of material.

To clarify, any adapter can be placed into any slot. The barcode reader will be able to detect where you've placed the adapter and place it into production when selected. Yet when changing partially-used materials to another adapter, and seeking to keep the previous job information for the new adapter, the process is currently locked in MillBox to provided a simplified process (as mentioned by @wanny- ). I hope this answers your question, yet if there is any confusion or additional questions please let me know.

@tehnik,

Thanks for reaching out for help.

Try plugging the USB directly from the PC into the DWX-52DC. LAN's can cause connectivity issues while streaming jobs from any CAM software. Once you have done so, provide an update to this post and if there are any other questions you may have.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I connected the milling machine to an old laptop via usb (only installed vpanel) and manually outputted files from home network. Everything seems to be working right now.

greeny

greeny

Sponsors
Reaction score
Just a head's up to prospective Roland DWX-52DC customers... these features are available in hyperDENT - among many other advantages that were built specifically for this machine. I'll address these in a separate thread shortly.

As an example, the picture below shows a project where this job is assigned to adapter 'A':

dwx-52dc_1.PNG

When loading this into the machine, you can put this blank and holder into any slot in the automation cell - just as Dwight mentioned above.

Then, if for any reason the puck needs to be moved to another adapter, you can open the machine/fixture menu and redefine the adapter for this project without losing any previously milled jobs. In this example below, it was switched to adapter 'D':

dwx-52dc_3.PNG

dwx-52dc_2.PNG

Then, once again, if the adapter changes, you can always switch it to another holder again:

dwx-52dc_4.PNG

Our German developers worked very closely with Roland Japan in order to satisfy ALL their requests for operating this machine. For more information regarding these advanced features, contact us at [email protected]. And of course, the other standard advantages of using hyperDENT still apply (like faster calculation and milling times). If you're going to be switching your CAM solution for this machine anyway, make sure to explore ALL your options :)

We can also connect you with Pizzi Dental Studio who has been using the DWX-52DC powered by hyperDENT without any issues for the past couple months - they'll be happy to share their experience!

J

Joon Hong

Reaction score
if you contact your reseller, they should take care of it.
if not, follow steps below

1. close millbox
2. locate the file called 'extraConfig' (in my case, it was on c: > MillBox_CAPEd > millbox > SUP > ROL_DWX52DC)
3. right click on it, and open with notepad
4. you will probably see
[main]
customPalletRequest=1
5. change the number to 2
6. save

you are now good to go

when you are about to calculate project on used disk, you now should be able to change adapter code

my reseller recommended purchasing more adapter from G through Z which costs about $250 per adapter, I was pretty upset at that point and became ass.

they took care of it within couple minutes.

if you don't have same file or can't find it, do the same with your reseller

it's just stupid way of trying to sell more stuff

MikeW

MikeW

Reaction score
Hi everyone hope you're all well (its been a while since I've posted)

Last week we have upgraded our Roland dwx50 to the dwx 52.

With this upgrade we needed to update the cam software and now using millbox.

Okay bare with me on the next bit....

Now, as I'm sure you're all aware the Roland dwx 52 has 6 slots for individual milling discs and with this we use millbox to select which slot it goes in to be milled.

So say you have to add a new milling disc and say you put it into slot 'A' it mills you take it out and so on, go to the next day you start a fresh with used stock and ones been put into slot 'A' i now can't use the original milling disc i inputed yesterday because it will only let me put it in to slot 'A' and gives no option to say put it in to slot 'B'.

Does that kind of make sense.

Simply a milling disc i put in to slot A, i now want to put into slot B but it won't let me.

Is there something I've missed to let me do this?

Heres an example, 'E' is selected as thats what i used when adding the milling disc to millbox and now i can't select any other letter...
[/URL]

Although this was disabled by default (per Roland's request),the adapter code can be unlocked by modifying the following file:

<MillBox Installation Directory>\millbox\SUP\DWX-52DC\extraConfig.ini

Editing the customPalletRequest value from 1 to 2, will allow the user to change the pallet code, even after they've assigned it previously to a different letter. By default, the last pallet code will be remembered / selected.

Before:
upload_2017-9-5_18-8-3.png

In MillBox:
upload_2017-9-5_18-8-14.png

After:
upload_2017-9-5_18-8-23.png

Default view In MillBox:
upload_2017-9-5_18-8-35.png

User Can freely change to another adapter after change:

upload_2017-9-5_18-8-47.png

It was restricted at Roland's request to simplify the CAM workflow for users.
The idea behind having individual adapters is for the user to keep the disc mounted in the pallet - this ensures that the orientation of the puck is never off from what is displayed in the CAM. This ensures more accurate nesting.

With this mentality, the user would be expected to buy more pallets so they can have the materials pre-assigned so all you have to do is slot them in. In this way it's more convenient for the user - however, maybe not so much economical (having to buy more pallets). It's for this reason that this functionality has been present from day 1 of the DWX-52DC's release, but at special request to change the configuration from the dealers.

Please feel free to contact me or my team with any questions related to this option / setting.

Top Bottom