Michigan - Sales Tax Exemption Revoked - Labs Qualify for Industrial Processing Exemption

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
How would you know if you aren't a member?
just because im not a member now doesnt mean i havent been in the past.
additionally, if our lobby groups like NADL were doing a "great" job, we wouldnt be classified as unskilled labor while making patient specific intraoral medical devices.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I reached out to Bennett Napier who is the Association Director for the FDLA and NADL.

Here is his comment and an attached bit of information.

It is important to clear up misinformation relative to government classifications on occupations including dental laboratory technicians.

No government agency including the U.S. Department of Labor uses skilled vs. unskilled terminology or classifications. Unfortunately, when the U.S. Department of Labor changed the system for classifying all occupations a few years ago, there were several trade press articles in the dental laboratory industry that used that terminology as a descriptor to discuss the change in the system.
this is just one example in a long line of absurdity that is the NADL. of course its my opinion and you are welcome to yours with no disrespect intended!

doug

doug

Reaction score
Whatever, horse, water, all that stuff.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Seriously, what is so enticing about the water? It looks like all the other water, what am I missing??

V

Vicki

Reaction score
... What about lab to lab work? I do piece work for a couple labs. Do I have to charge him the tax ?

I was just reading the instructions for the 5095 state form and there is an exemption line to list industrial processors. So I would say lab to lab is exempt but I am not an accountant... I am a technician.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I was just reading the instructions for the 5095 state form and there is an exemption line to list industrial processors. So I would say lab to lab is exempt but I am not an accountant... I am a technician.

Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
So it looks like they reversed this action and now I have to go through the headache of refunding all accounts and wait for a refund from the state.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
So it looks like they reversed this action and now I have to go through the headache of refunding all accounts and wait for a refund from the state.
Send your state legislator a bill.

V

Vicki

Reaction score
I have confirmed this with the state. Amend your sales tax for each month, request a refund on your annual return. Required record keeping of payment to dentists to prove we paid them the money refunded by the state. Question: if the dentist passed the sales tax directly to the patient, does he patient get the refund? Is proof of that transaction required also? What a headache

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Anyone get their money back yet ? Or am I the only one still waiting ?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Anyone get their money back yet ? Or am I the only one still waiting ?
I expect it will take quite a while. Governments are exceedingly loathe to return tax money. Well, just money period. They likely had no clue the level of paperwork this change caused to be coming at them.

eddydy

eddydy

Reaction score
I expect it will take quite a while. Governments are exceedingly loathe to return tax money. Well, just money period. They likely had no clue the level of paperwork this change caused to be coming at them.
I did, I had my book keeper work on it few months ago, and got the check shortly after.

V

Vicki

Reaction score
I’m still waiting. Wonder if we will get interest earned while they hold the money?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
boy do they expect it asap though!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I’m still waiting. Wonder if we will get interest earned while they hold the money?

anytime you get a "refund" from overpayment in taxes they get to use that money interest free.

Top Bottom