Metal Expansion

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm losing my mind, but i've noticed over some time that Gold (>40%) doesn't seem to expand like my other noble metals, especially my noble white (<2% Au). Anybody else notice this, or maybe I just never picked up on it. Using straight liquid while investing and still have to grind a little on inside to get to fit correctly. Please share your wisdom oh great ones.......lol

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm losing my mind, but i've noticed over some time that Gold (>40%) doesn't seem to expand like my other noble metals, especially my noble white (<2% Au). Anybody else notice this, or maybe I just never picked up on it. Using straight liquid while investing and still have to grind a little on inside to get to fit correctly. Please share your wisdom oh great ones.......lol

I tell you I lose my mind alot in this business.
Of all the metals, I get the most expansion with gold. usually the higher the au content the greater expansion is for me. i use less liquid with my fgcs. I think Im at 11cc L and 5 W.

I had that same problem as your having with base metal (rex 111). just one day I couldnt get enough expansion. I tried everything from taking the rings out of the former after 10 min to let it expand to increasing the burn out temp. nothing worked for me and I was going to switch investment until I ordered some high expansion liquid. That solved the problem for that metal. I use 13cc regular liquid and 3cc of the HE liquid.

Dang, Im suprised you can get any expansion at all since you moved to the frozen tundra.:) what is the temp of your tap water 33 degrees?

Ive always thought about getting one of those temp boxes or what ever they are called to controll the temp of my liquid and investment so I dont have the seasonal changes in fits. I dont notice it as much here in Ky as I did in Fl it may be the humidity difference also.

It looks like your getting hammered with snow right now, we are just getting rain, the cold stuff is north of the Ohio river, it looks like its sitting on top of you.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Thanks Al, I thought you should get the most expansion out of Gold too. I will order some high expansion liquid and try some of that. As for the weather, oh yeah, we're suppose to get 12 inches of snow today. Check out my radar here Current Gaylord NEXRAD Radar Map : Weather Underground

My snowplow guy is making more money than me right now.......darn snow.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I had that same problem as your having with base metal (rex 111).

You and that car bumper metal. Average cost for noble metal for a PFM is only an extra 20 dollars (78% Pd, 1.5% Au). I don't do any base metal anymore, thank the fella who split me.......hehehe Might be something to consider.

yooper886

yooper886

Reaction score
Hey Rob,

Just thought I would rub it in some that in the U.P. we are not getting any snow at the moment (for a change). Temp is in the single digits so I guess we can not have everything.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hey Rob,

Just thought I would rub it in some that in the U.P. we are not getting any snow at the moment (for a change). Temp is in the single digits so I guess we can not have everything.

Yeah, we've had about 4 feet of snow already this year. We're not suppose to get that much, especially before Christmas. By the way, we haven't even had an inch of snow on the ground before Christmas for the last four years. Global Warming my @ss, this is crazy.