Material for printing splints

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Just got our first 3D printer (Formlabs2) this week and have been playing around with it making lots of useful things to grow our appliance list such as naked lady golf tees.....the detail is amazing!!

Does anyone have some suggestions for materials for printing occlusal splints with?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Just got our first 3D printer (Formlabs2) this week and have been playing around with it making lots of useful things to grow our appliance list such as naked lady golf tees.....the detail is amazing!!

Does anyone have some suggestions for materials for printing occlusal splints with?
You might get more feedback if you post a photo of the golf tees??

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Got another one printing now, I broke the first one on the fourth hole......also need to find a harder resin.

Ill post the pic this afternoon.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Naked lady golf tee.jpg

Looks good with a ball on her head!!

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I too have an interest. So, while at Chicago I talked to Ron Snyder, who I have great respect for, from InTech. The company who is contracted with 3M to print all their models. I asked him that same question and the answer I got was not the one I expected. He told me that all the material claimed to be used for splints is not tough enough and they all break. He told that he himself really wants a material to print for splints. Two reasons that he wants a product for splints is first of all InTech makes their living printing and another reason is that he would have a very large client of his send them "a hundered splints a day". So that conversation was very informative but burst my bubble for splint printing. I also talked to another large lab who does splints and was told that they mill their splints. So, I have to respect both their input because I know they have both done their research. In conclusion there is at this time no material suitable for printing splints no matter what the suppliers say, and they will say anything because the want to sell you their product. Sorry to ramble.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
looks like vlad the impaler is back at it.

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
there are a few types of materials out there that claim to be strong enough to hold up, havent found one suitable yet, and that why we still mill our splints, cause you can bet the strength and material yet. takes a minute to mill 4-6 hours depending on size of arch but good for an overnight mill if you have time. We use a Roland DWX50 and the Motion 2 to mill our splints