Looking into 3D printers

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
We are a small lab looking into getting a 3D printer. Totally new territory to me and have a few questions. Also, we're using a 7 series Dental Wings CAD

Our goal (if possible) is to scan the impressions from Dr. and print the models. Meanwhile, use DWOS to design full contour crowns and copings, print those, then cast into metal. Then use we'd use the printed models to adjust contact/occlusion as needed. Is this even possible? Is the technology at the point where this can be done consistently accurate?

We're looking at the Formlabs 2 printer.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Another way would be to scan and design from the impression and then just pour a solid model for porcelain and checking.
You wouldn't need a printer for that.

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
if you're working from an impression, I would pour the impression, scan, etc. Cheaper and less time consuming in the long run. I would only look into a printer for intraoral scan cases or possibly partial framework printing (though I don't have much experience with that).

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Scanning impressions is dicey at best, no matter which magic scanner. Pour a cast, trim the margins, scan, design. Forget pinning and sawing. Check fit on solid. After doing a few you will recognize which preps will have missing data. Pour an extra die for those and scan separately.

Go.fishing with your extra time and money.Five

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
You could always pour the impression. Pindex and base it. Then section and trim the die. and only then scan it. Then you wouldn't need a printer.
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Saluki

Saluki

Reaction score
Envision tec. Offers superior results. They are introducing a new printer that cuts the time but gives up accuracy. You have to remember if a dentist takes a bad impression conventionally, they will probably take a bad impression digitally.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Envision tec. Offers superior results. They are introducing a new printer that cuts the time but gives up accuracy. You have to remember if a dentist takes a bad impression conventionally, they will probably take a bad impression digitally.
I have found the opposite to be true.
My best digital clients used to send multiple PVS impressions to pick one.
They have yet to ask me to pick the best scan.

Andy B

Andy B

Reaction score
Same boat as you, best bet would be to wait another few weeks and see what comes out of IDS in Colonge!

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
You could always pour the impression. Pindex and base it. Then section and trim the die. and only then scan it. Then you wouldn't need a printer.
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Right, which is what we've been doing haha Looking for cheaper/faster new alternatives

Top Bottom