Looking for objective input.

I

Ivan j. Garcia

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of deciding which CAD/CAM System to begin my digital transition with.Can someone please advise a novice?Do I go 3Shape or Dental Wings.Briefly, Why?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
3Shape now has a very nice plan E1 scanner 10k with crown and bridge for one year of updates, no need to renew license after a year, but you only do crown and bridge, no implants. E3 18k same thing. Upgrade to the premium and you can do implants and everything else buy now you have a yearly fee to run the software. I personally would sat stay away from dental wings.

Exocad is your other option as well. It is hard now since prices are becoming more competitive.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of deciding which CAD/CAM System to begin my digital transition with.Can someone please advise a novice?Do I go 3Shape or Dental Wings.Briefly, Why?
How about I tell you Dental Wings has acquired the moniker Mental Wings and let you take it from there.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
go for a turn key solution you will have enough trouble learning how to use it let alone not knowing if you connected it right. i like zirkon zahn but there are others i mainly like zz for the excellent service and training i would probably go for an exocad system as thats what i have mostly used, less cost surprises than 3 shape i would stay away from sirona. i have had zz mills since 2008 no real problems even the guy who serviced not from zz thought it was a good reliable machine basically he said keep servicing it each year it will last another nine ten years

I

Ivan j. Garcia

Reaction score
3Shape now has a very nice plan E1 scanner 10k with crown and bridge for one year of updates, no need to renew license after a year, but you only do crown and bridge, no implants. E3 18k same thing. Upgrade to the premium and you can do implants and everything else buy now you have a yearly fee to run the software. I personally would sat stay away from dental wings.

Exocad is your other option as well. It is hard now since prices are becoming more competitive.

Thanks Sevan P,
Could you expand on the reason(s) you recommend avoiding DW? They offer more modules at the base level and the prices are comparable.Is it the software itself or ease of use? Admittedly, I'm a newby.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I have the Preciso setup from Jensen. Exocad and a rock solid scanner. I'd like a faster scanner at this point, but not until I really need it.I'm happy with exocad and the support, especially on here and that "other" site where the crazy man lives. J.K. Scott. Even with a yearly support fee, that's optional, it's still less money than 3Shape. I have a Straumann Dental Wings scanner gathering dust, waiting for trip to Al's house to shoot holes in it.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Thanks Sevan P,
Could you expand on the reason(s) you recommend avoiding DW? They offer more modules at the base level and the prices are comparable.Is it the software itself or ease of use? Admittedly, I'm a newby.
Mainly user interface, too many hoops to jump through, 3shape has a much friendly UI over any platform out there even exocad. A lot less clicking to do or get to things. Plus designing a crown is much easier on 3shape. Been using is since 2012 and personally will not change. Once you understand the software it is super easy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
Am I the only one out there that likes Dental Wings? I've never used 3Shape but I'm familiar with Exocad. I like Exocad a little better than DW, but I don't think DW deserves the flak it gets.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Am I the only one out there that likes Dental Wings? I've never used 3Shape but I'm familiar with Exocad. I like Exocad a little better than DW, but I don't think DW deserves the flak it gets.
They have burned too many bridges with techs. The system is better than it used to be, but it is still not as good as exocad or 3shape.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
It is an open system, which is nice, but I personally think it requires too many clicks to produce the basic coping. Also I used to mill for a lab using DW and even at a margin offset of .20 it was too thin and would chip, we tried everything, the guy finally gave up and bought a 3shape. Plus the way it designs crowns is much more work then exocad or 3shaoe.

It is a cheap intermediate system, but with the newer scanners and pricing from 3shaoe it is more competitive and why not get something better for cheaper.

Plus I personally never liked the all in one setup DW has. Pc scanner all on one. Kind of makes no sense to me, limits you on upgrading stuff. Exo and 3shape are on seperate pc from scanner.

Just my opinion, if you like it, then good for you.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Small operation, outsourcing milling, ect DWs can be a good fit. I think I speak for most of the community 3shape and exocad are better in pretty much everything.

I

Ivan j. Garcia

Reaction score
go for a turn key solution you will have enough trouble learning how to use it let alone not knowing if you connected it right. i like zirkon zahn but there are others i mainly like zz for the excellent service and training i would probably go for an exocad system as thats what i have mostly used, less cost surprises than 3 shape i would stay away from sirona. i have had zz mills since 2008 no real problems even the guy who serviced not from zz thought it was a good reliable machine basically he said keep servicing it each year it will last another nine ten years

Thanks grantoz,

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
It is an open system, which is nice, but I personally think it requires too many clicks to produce the basic coping. Also I used to mill for a lab using DW and even at a margin offset of .20 it was too thin and would chip, we tried everything, the guy finally gave up and bought a 3shape. Plus the way it designs crowns is much more work then exocad or 3shaoe.

It is a cheap intermediate system, but with the newer scanners and pricing from 3shaoe it is more competitive and why not get something better for cheaper.

Plus I personally never liked the all in one setup DW has. Pc scanner all on one. Kind of makes no sense to me, limits you on upgrading stuff. Exo and 3shape are on seperate pc from scanner.

Just my opinion, if you like it, then good for you.

Those are fair and good reasons. I upgraded from a very old scanner, 4 axis mill and version of Exocad to a 7Series, so I'm probably dazzled a bit by the new. I've just seen so much hate towards this system and didn't know the reasons.... now I do. I haven't had any problems so far. I do find the all in one setup a bit odd, but they do come out with updates often, which I'm pleased with. I don't know what will happen when they upgrade the OS entirely. Thanks for the input. :)

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Those are fair and good reasons. I upgraded from a very old scanner, 4 axis mill and version of Exocad to a 7Series, so I'm probably dazzled a bit by the new. I've just seen so much hate towards this system and didn't know the reasons.... now I do. I haven't had any problems so far. I do find the all in one setup a bit odd, but they do come out with updates often, which I'm pleased with. I don't know what will happen when they upgrade the OS entirely. Thanks for the input. :)
Hey, of you are getting good results then why change. Like I said I've been on 3shape and know it inside out, just like you know DW. Of it ain't broke don't fix it.

D

dentcre

Reaction score
3shape/wieland mini mill.
thats what I have ,thousands of crowns made
CERO issues .

Dali k

Dali k

Reaction score
Forget about dental wings,,, 3shape and exocad are the new players,,, there are a lot of stuff you can't do with dental wings. plus its harder to give the shape you want... you dont have the same feeling when you'r designing and you end up having pumpkin lines in your designs. In 3shape you have a much better feeling when you design you can really get the right shapes very fast. for copings and single molars DW is good enough but for more then that its far behind.If you are still building porcelaine on copings DW is ok. But for monolithics, monolithics with cutbacks, emax etc 3shape is much better.
there are a lot of examples of features you have on 3shape you dont have in DW.
One of my favorite is the proximal contact adjustments taking in consideration the insertion axis.

F

Fernan

Reaction score
im a one man in house lab and price was of course a problem for me
so i end up with a used cercon scanner 2 1/2 years ago and pretty happy with it and i barely have pfm cases lately
it takes an ample lot of time to design one crown but it does the job :)
my advise is if you can afford the 3shape i would buy it otherwise get something you can have somebody to bother if you do get in to tight situations
support is very important
with cercon even though i bought mine used
to this day cercon does support them for free
they even done something i never thought they would do.

K

kotharyabbas

Reaction score
I have a Dental Wings Version 6 and everytime I use the Readjust Occlusion feature my restoration become too short. leaving almost a 2mm space from Occlusion. Anyone who could suggest me what settings have I done worng or need to change in order to remove this issue permanently? Thanks to all

Baobabtree

Baobabtree

Reaction score
I have a Dental Wings Version 6 and everytime I use the Readjust Occlusion feature my restoration become too short. leaving almost a 2mm space from Occlusion. Anyone who could suggest me what settings have I done worng or need to change in order to remove this issue permanently? Thanks to all
When you click on readjust occlsion and the pop up window comes up, what setting is in the occlusion thickness box?