Looking for advice on macro lens flash setup.

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
Many techs and docs alike mention and post excellent pics with a multitude of lenses. I have a Nikon D90 and am in the market for a macro lens and would like to know the advantage of or disadvantage of large and small lenses...105, 90, ect. Cost of entry is much higher on the large lens but will it be better for our dental application? I plan to use a ring flash, any suggestions here would be welcomed as well. Thanks in advance.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
Hey ceram1
I have canon, but I can speak a little about optics that apply either way. 90-105 is ideal for dental use. For macro purpose, if the lenses have the same options, the difference from a 90 to 105 is not that much. A 105 will allow for a slightly further working distance using the same framing as a 90. Probably less than 1 inch for taking the same close-up photo. A 105 with image stabilizing feature is costly but worth it. If your always going to use flash and do dental stuff, it's not a must. My 2 cents.

M

martintay

Reaction score
As above , but get the Nikon R1-C1 twin flash , its far superior to a ring flash IMO.

O

OzTech

Reaction score
Nikon D80. AF-S Micro Nikkor 105 VR, Nikon R1-C1 Twin Flash Kit. ....better than ring flash (imo) lighting is not as flat, ring flash tends to fill all shadows creating a "flatter" image......full auto (on Nikon) , no cords (wireless remote from hot shoe mount),flash heads removable for creative lighting of cases on bench, comes with range of filters etc.

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
Thanks, this helps, I was leaning that direction. The only reason I was thinking ring light is ease of use as I will not be the only one in the lab using it. Thanks again this will be a nice upgrade from the iPhone! -E-

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
I have both the 60mm micro nikkor and and 105 VR. Don't write off the 60mm. For photographing your work, and other still objects, the 60mm is a nice lens that gets the job done. Its main downfall is the proximity, you have to be really close. If you are going to use it for custom shades as well, then the 105 VR ( or if you have the cash, the 200mm MicroNikkor is the best on the market) is a much better option.

Last edited: