Locator Attachment to Bars

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
What is the best way to attach Locator Attachments to a bar? I have seen 3 different ways and, drill and tap, laser weld, or cast? Well since I am going to be designing on my 3shape I think I will be between drill and tap, or laser weld! Which one would be best prescribed? On the drill and tap wouldn't you be concerned that it would ever back out? :confused:

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Exocad has the hole stl file to digitally "punch" out the hole for tapping.

Getting a threaded screw to stay put is another thing.

Maybe heat the Ti a wee-bit and screw in piece before Ti cools contracts. Then, it will be locked into place?

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Ya 3Shape is the same way it punches the hole where I want the locator to go but getting it threaded is another thing lol. I have looked around the web and saw how they threaded it they just literally take a tap and tap it then screw in the locator! This is my first bar, and I am putting it together for a demo so the Doc's can see. Just trying to get my ducks in a row so I know what is going on... It's my first one so don't be to critical.

ai1191.photobucket.com_albums_z465_Mizzle11_bar.png

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I know nothing about bars.

Never really messed with them.

I will make plenty of dumb mistakes as I work my way into that arena.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I can offer my version as stl file, but it has different centre, same outside profile though .

I am pretty sure this is not only illegal but not a good idea. The fact is that the attachment does wear, the idea to drill and tap is to allow you to R&R in the future. Tapping gold and Ti is supper easy and works exceptionally easy. In the old days the hardest part was drilling the bars. Having the mill take care of this part seems amazing.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
I found out from the milling center I am going to use for these that they come back to me threaded which makes everything easier on me. All I have to do is pick up some locators and screw them in and off she goes!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I found out from the milling center I am going to use for these that they come back to me threaded which makes everything easier on me. All I have to do is pick up some locators and screw them in and off she goes!

Just make sure you use some sort of thread locker. I like to use cekabond but there are several thread lockers out there I just know that cekabond is made for the mouth.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Just make sure you use some sort of thread locker. I like to use cekabond but there are several thread lockers out there I just know that cekabond is made for the mouth.

Thanks for the heads up John I really appreciate the info, I'll make sure to stay away from the JBWeld lol...

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
That's what we use.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Ya 3Shape is the same way it punches the hole where I want the locator to go but getting it threaded is another thing lol. I have looked around the web and saw how they threaded it they just literally take a tap and tap it then screw in the locator! This is my first bar, and I am putting it together for a demo so the Doc's can see. Just trying to get my ducks in a row so I know what is going on... It's my first one so don't be to critical.

Tyler,
You made a comment that this is "your first one". Something to keep in mind with the Locator attachment. The farther they are spaced out, provides more stability and support.
IMO, I would extend the two more distal yet from where you have them now atleast half way to where the implants are. That is only if VDO will allow.
Need photos of the overlay denture set-up to determine exact placement.

Danny

Last edited:
Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
You could also use Teflon tape from the hardware store wrapped a couple of times around the threads of the Locator attachment before you screw it in to the bar. Teflon tape is easier to remove from the threads than any type of thread lock cement if it ever became necessary to remove the Locator from the bar.