Lingual contact peeves

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
explain to me why a prof at dental school sends me 10° U/L and demands lingualized balanced.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
The problem is they provide teeth. I could solve this with a phone call, but I'm not the "face".
Suffice it to say I'm setting to my preference for that cusp inclination

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The problem is they provide teeth. I could solve this with a phone call, but I'm not the "face".
Suffice it to say I'm setting to my preference for that cusp inclination
He probably won't notice/know the difference.

Had to explain once that an Alma gauge doesn't duplicate dentures, it's just a piece of test equipment to see how well you did.
All they know sometimes is the terms, not the definitions, no matter how many letters are behind their name.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
He probably won't notice/know the difference.

Had to explain once that an Alma gauge doesn't duplicate dentures, it's just a piece of test equipment to see how well you did.
All they know sometimes is the terms, not the definitions, no matter how many letters are behind their name.
No doubt. I'm sure all that was set by his schooling, as that's how it usually works.

It's just... well this is faculty, so what exactly is getting imparted to the future?

I guess the other issue that works at me is that communications get transmitted via the powers that be.
It's a lot like playing telephone with tin cans.

So the default s/u for 10° is flat plane with working side group function.
Not completely idiot proof, but as simplistic as it can be.

I come into employment late in my career.
It's been interesting working with little or no communication and drs of all type of skill level or lack.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
No doubt. I'm sure all that was set by his schooling, as that's how it usually works.

It's just... well this is faculty, so what exactly is getting imparted to the future?

I guess the other issue that works at me is that communications get transmitted via the powers that be.
It's a lot like playing telephone with tin cans.

So the default s/u for 10° is flat plane with working side group function.
Not completely idiot proof, but as simplistic as it can be.

I come into employment late in my career.
It's been interesting working with little or no communication and drs of all type of skill level or lack.
It's interesting, in the "may you live in interesting times" way. Going the other way from employee to owner is "interesting" as well.

I know a school that doesn't even require a bridge prep, not even 3 unit one pontic, before turning graduates loose. Maybe the machines will take over after all.

doug

doug

Reaction score
A dentist down the street from me went back to his dental college a year after graduating as an adjunct professor. I can't think of a most worthless person trying to teach real dentistry to students. Not him personally, but anyone a year out of school doesn't have any real world knowledge to share.

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
I have a great client who finished the maxillo-facial course at UCLA last year and has at least 10+ years as a practicing prosthodontist. When he went to UCLA we have had over a year working together. He prescribes lingualized occlusion using 10 degree inclination also. I'll use ten degree on the mandibular and 30 degree (I wish PT's were still available) for the maxillary arch, pretty how I was taught way back when I could hitch a ride with Barney Rubble to get to work. So far so good, I can't remember if I called him first about substituting 30's on the upper for 10's. IMO there is a professor or two out there that is disseminating this to residents who thinks he or she understands this occlusal concept, and they don't. It is result of someone teaching this to the instructors. I see this in some removable techs that are good tech's who don't know they were taught incorrectly. They in turn will pass this on to the next generation. On the flip side I work with a GP (that has less than or about two years practicing!!) that was taught correctly. This tells me that any corrections done intraorally by this young lady are being done in accordance with common practices to achieve proper and correct lingualized function!!

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I have switched recently from Bioform 0 degree with Preference 30 degree uppers in lingualized mode to something called Vita Synoform....They are a robust lingual cusp with a 5 degree lower and made to be setup lingualized. They also have something called a linguoform which is also good.....I also have a stock of something called entaceram optiform which I will use on the Tubyfill setups and protocol.They are basically a 10 degree lower ceramic tooth with an exaggerated lingual cusp and I have no qualms about telling patients that those teeth will last 12-15 years...But yes 10 degree lowers with a 30 degree upper is a standard lingualized pair taught by a lot of dental schools....Why lingualized? Because they are easy to setup and they allow the patient to chew almost anything....A spinoff from the old Swissedent era....But instead of the Swissedent I also use the Dr. French centric line porcelain teeth......as well as the cutter bars....

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
It's interesting, in the "may you live in interesting times" way. Going the other way from employee to owner is "interesting" as well.

I know a school that doesn't even require a bridge prep, not even 3 unit one pontic, before turning graduates loose. Maybe the machines will take over after all.
I have seen C&B operations start to lose their analog capabilities.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
A dentist down the street from me went back to his dental college a year after graduating as an adjunct professor. I can't think of a most worthless person trying to teach real dentistry to students. Not him personally, but anyone a year out of school doesn't have any real world knowledge to share.
Most don't come out of cranial rectal inversion for at least 10 years

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
As a follow up, new owner finally got a return call and explained and, knowing the school powers that be have their fingers in the mess, conveyed the proper Dentsply mould #s to achieve his desired goal.
He was really grateful, no one had told him.
I've been bitching about this for months; deep down I knew the previous owner just wasn't even calling/following through.
He'd just rather make me endlessly reset it. At this point I have bad words that I won't bother repeating outside my skull...

Positive is we got it worked out with dr in a relationship building sort of way. It was grief to me, but in the end I take what good I can get.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I somehow missed this thread. If he's a professor at a dental school, why isn't he setting his own teeth to teach his students how it's done?!?!? Oh, and congrats on getting a new boss, sounds like it was long overdue.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I somehow missed this thread. If he's a professor at a dental school, why isn't he setting his own teeth to teach his students how it's done?!?!? Oh, and congrats on getting a new boss, sounds like it was long overdue.
The sale was a year ago. Old owner stayed on to manage for a year
What can I say? The hall is littered with photos of Chiristmas parties past full of ex employees who are no longer there.
Suffice it to say that despite the difficulty now in finding technicians, his style never evolved.
New owner works at the bench daily.

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
Most don't come out of cranial rectal inversion for at least 10 years

I never knew if the terminology was cranio or cranial. Thanks. Spell check sez cranio is wrong.

The dreaded Charlie Romeo India!!!

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
We should charge extra for setting up a case with DDS supplied teeth. I've rejected tooth brands that were hard to set, my "House Brand" teeth are included in the setup fee because they usually fall in for me.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
their other go too answer is where are the 5 year studies when you suggest something different than what they were taught in 1927 .when you give them the studies to back up what your saying they either dont read it or just dismiss it. ive been dealing with this since 2000 when we 1st started zi with procera honestly its been the longest 5 years in the 17 years i have been doing zi because it was going to break in 5 years it was going smash the opposing teeth etc etc .when we show them the 5 year studies that show that this wont happen i can hear them throwing the study ,article, paper etc in the bin as i walk out the door. god forbid even listening to someone with actual real life experience. hang in there you will get some that listen and value your experience they are usually the best operators