lead in crowns

E

elizzy

Reaction score
Faulty Crowns
Faulty Crowns
There are concerns tonight that the lead found in Chinese toys may also be showing up in implants, crowns and dentures from China and India. The imports aren’t strictly regulated and have made some people sick. There are no laws requiring dentist to tell you where they buy the products, but Florida lawmakers are pushing for full disclosure.

Philip Twelves doesn’t know where his tooth implant came from

“They just said it was porcelain, I really don’t recall if they said where it was manufactured.”

The story is the same for Owen Hardin

“I’ve never asked, but I have wondered.”

A trip to the dentist is scary enough. Then add the fear of lead poisoning. Some implants coming from overseas are contaminated.

Dental Technician Buddy Wester follows strict regulations when building implants or molding partials. He says overseas labs don’t have the same regulations.

“If the restoration comes in from overseas, and it has some type of hazardous material unbeknownst to the dentist and the patient and the patient become ill, then there’s no way to track that restoration.”

While there aren’t any reported cases of this kind of dangerous dental work being done in Florida, Nationwide overseas implants have made people sick.

The cases stem from lead based dental work. Lead is strictly prohibited in domestic dental labs

The internet is full of sites showing dentists how to make big profits. Lawmakers fear dentists are looking overseas to cut costs. One proposal would require labs and dentists to tell patients what materials are going into their mouths.

Posted by: Eric Location: Clearwater- Florida on Feb 22, 2008 at 07:58 PM
I feel this is an injustice for the American people and it is the duty of the government to protect us from these type of outsourcing nightmares.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Richard Daniels Location: Chicago on Feb 22, 2008 at 05:47 PM
This has been a potential threat in the industry since the large scale importing of crowns began in the US and Europe. Yet whilst dental laboratory representation organisations have raised this as a concern to governing organisations both at state and national level the opportunity for proper regulation of such items has not been supported by dentist organisations globally, the reason for this is that there is a fear that regulation of these items will raise the cost of the crowns - but what cost do you put on patient safety and protection. The competent authorities need to act on this story and regulate all custom made dental appliances and provide patients with adequate disclosure documents that inform them of the origin of the crown, who made it and with what materials - anything less is denying patients the right to know what is being fitted in their mouth.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Tell me if I am crazy but how did they get the lead into the metal? What the hell is going on?

L

labdude

Reaction score
They use the same factory to make toys for our children.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
If I put lead in my casting with my metal I would have a mess. They must have it down to a science. I cant even imagine how many units they provide the world with every day. If one case that was done in China had traces of lead, hundreds (alot) would have been distributed from the same lab with the same metal throughout our country.

L

labdude

Reaction score
You got a little extra metal around???
Try it.
Send it off to Teaxstom for testing.

Top Bottom