Laser Welding Titanium CAD CAM Bars

R

rhicks3302

Reaction score
I heard a lot of comments about this topic outside of this forum so I thought I'd add my 2 cents here.

Having an ill-fitting CAD CAM bar remade is an expensive proposition. Most CAD CAM companies say that if you laser weld a CAD CAM bar, it will void the warranty. I'll pick up the warranty because this really isn't a big deal if you understand titanium welding.

Titanium welds well with low energy, higher hits/second and LOTS of argon.

Add titanium wire to each side until you have contact in the center. Tack weld on each side to join the pieces. Then, adding Ti from side to side, backfill the connection from the center out. The welds should look shiny. A little polishing and you're good to go. Should take less than 10 mins.
DSC_0090.jpg DSC_0097.jpg DSC_0101.jpg DSC_0105.jpg DSC_0114.jpg

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Very very nice. What unit did you use to do this, had a play with one about a year ago but just could not get the hang of it on Ti.

R

rhicks3302

Reaction score
I used BTI's Fibreweld V4. but any laser welder could do this. I would say 90% of successful titanium welding is argon coverage.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Most milling companies require that all cast be verified before they will scan and mill. Cast was not verified with a jig, just the doctors word. The doctor cut the bar and luted in the mouth to correct. Another example of a milled bar reworked (section cut out and replaced with new) to save the time
and money of having a new impression taken and starting over.
IMG_4179 copy.jpg IMG_4180 copy.jpg IMG_4183 copy.jpg

R

rhicks3302

Reaction score
Are you seeing a lot of these, Danny? I'm at about 2/month. I know you're working with Cagenix. Have they changed their policy on laser welding?

I've also moved attachments, added distal extentions, and added mechanical retention. I've voided a lot of warranties.:)

Laser welding is a great complimentary technology to CAD CAM and yet they treat us like the enemy. I don't get it.

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
Surely the aim is to get the design right from the outset - we do 4 - 5 a day and I dont think the laser welder has ever been called for.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Are you seeing a lot of these, Danny? I'm at about 2/month. I know you're working with Cagenix. Have they changed their policy on laser welding?

I've also moved attachments, added distal extentions, and added mechanical retention. I've voided a lot of warranties.:)

Laser welding is a great complimentary technology to CAD CAM and yet they treat us like the enemy. I don't get it.

I have not sent a bar to Cagenix in about 2 years. Great guys and they do a fine job! Just been laser assembling them. I have welded approx. 5-6 milled bars in the past year and a half. I am not at all concerned with voiding warranties. Most likely if the implant is going to fail, it will before the restoration has been placed. I dont feel like the enemy when they call to have it repaired (welded). Most all of the repairs I have done were do to verification of the arch. So they cut, I weld:))))

R

rhicks3302

Reaction score
Surely the aim is to get the design right from the outset - we do 4 - 5 a day and I dont think the laser welder has ever been called for.

Colin, OK, I've voided A FEW warranties. I promote this service in my marketing and I get a couple of these per month out of the thousands that are fabricated. Design and fit changes are not a huge problem. I just think this is a better alternative than starting over. Like Danny said, most of these repairs are from verification issues.

CRWNMKR

CRWNMKR

Reaction score
the welds look great , we have an alpha laser and have had alot of problems in welding titanium ( breaking after a few months in the mouth). Is there a booklet or course on Ti welding? thank you for your help

R

rhicks3302

Reaction score
the welds look great , we have an alpha laser and have had alot of problems in welding titanium ( breaking after a few months in the mouth). Is there a booklet or course on Ti welding? thank you for your help

There isn't really a booklet but BTI Laser has classes.They trained me before I joined them. We've trained over a hundred labs. I know your laser well. We used to train on them. Basic training is about techniques and applications. Advanced training is about implant prosthetics and laser welding titanium. We also talk about design and attachments. Give Bob Belouin a call @ 8003673322 btilaser.com