LASER WARP!!! HELP!

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
So im working on a 7 unit splint case with 1 pontic.
Dentist took an impression.. made the frame and sent it for try in.
For some reason he decided to take a huge carbide to cut up the connectors and took a pick up impression.
After pooring the model i sent it to a lab for laser welding.
After my second opaque I put my frame on the model.
For some reason there was a huge warp... the whole middle of the frame doesnt fit on the model.
There a big space between the margin of the prep and the frame.

Im guessing there was so much solder added after multiple bakes it was warped.
Not sure....
What do i do ?

thanks for the help in advance.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Cut all connectors and have doc pick up in the mouth and then post solder it when you get it back with the correct solder for the metal. Also I'd verify that your laser metal is the right stuff to be using with that particular metal on the next case.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I would just start from the beginning rather than try to make what you have work. Post soldering a joint that was not designed to be from the start is going to be iffy at best. If the doc is insisting on sectioning every abutment. I would send the casting to him in sections and have him pick it up and solder/weld. I would seriously consider explaining to him/her why its important to use something a lot thinner than a carbide to cut a joint.

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking.. Not having much experience with laser solder I didn't know this warping would happen... But honestly he tells me the patient is getting cranky and she wants the case to finish.
That's why I was also thinking of doing a post soldering after ceramic build up.

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
And if we recut the solder and solder again what says it's not going to warp back again after a bake

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
If the joint was cut with a carbide the amount of filler metal is going to make the fit unpredictable. If the doc thinks the patient is cranky now, wait until the thing doesn't fit on the seat date if one of those joints move.
Nip the problem in the bud.

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
But if I cut a the connector that was already soldered... If I cut it with a thin disk and solder it again.... Won't it warp anyway? So solution would be to take a new impression and restart the case completely?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Like I said, remake bridge, you cut the connectors and have doc pick up chairside, then you can laser weld it correctly.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
That's what I would do.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
The so called filler metal must be compatible with the frame. There is mainly three metals I use here to
laser a fixed C&B frame back together. Did the frame fit correctly / passively when you got it back after welding?
Also did they build back up the connectors for proper support and strength?

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
The bridge was well seated yes.
And what they did is build up the connector with the Superior alloy same as frame. And completed it with laser solder I guess
I gave them some. Alloy for them to do so

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
I heard there is a from distress one program you can put the frame. In to ensure nothing will happen to it after you bake it.

IVY

IVY

Reaction score
So im working on a 7 unit splint case with 1 pontic.
Dentist took an impression.. made the frame and sent it for try in.
For some reason he decided to take a huge carbide to cut up the connectors and took a pick up impression.
After pooring the model i sent it to a lab for laser welding.
After my second opaque I put my frame on the model.
For some reason there was a huge warp... the whole middle of the frame doesnt fit on the model.
There a big space between the margin of the prep and the frame.

Im guessing there was so much solder added after multiple bakes it was warped.
Not sure....
What do i do ?

thanks for the help in advance.

Great! You forgot to mention he cut the connectors with a carbide!!! This should be fun!