Keystone Industry Question

D

dborla01

Reaction score
I have used Diamond D, Millenium, and Sledgehammer self-cure acrylics through the years, along with other brands of reline and repair resins'. I am wondering which one of these 3 is the best at lasting, etc.
I have repeatedly asked the folks at Keystone Industries for an explanation...to no avail.
Any feedback would be appreciated, as I am needing to reorder soon. PS: If there is another brand that is clearly superior, please inform me. Thanks.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what you mean by "...asked...for an explanation" Have you seen differences between them that you want explained?
If so, what would they be?

EDIT: I've not yet used the cold cure, only the heat cure Diamond D, which I liked a lot.

I have Coltene's PERM line and Uhler's Meharry, both in self/cold cure over here.

PERM is the self cure compliment to their heat cure Paragon line

Uhler has the same shade in heat cure and it's is actually a good darker brown purple color instead of a purple pink that is still too light for many people.
If you ask them nice, they'll send you a sample.

I've noticed no color degridation over time. I have a button sitting in air from every lot number over the last 20 months that has come in. Not one of them has changed in appearance. I leave them out figuring that's the worst I can do to them without leaving them in a baggie of Alka Seltzer, Listerine, Efferdent, etc.

Last edited:
vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
Diamond D is probably the highest quality and it is the newest they have released.

Mizzy Millennium has been around for ages - their clear is ok but not a fan of the others. Sledgehammer was released to compete with Lucitone - I think it was their first high impact acrylic. I have not used it for some time.

In my opinion their Diamond D is probably the highest quality they have.

D

dborla01

Reaction score
Thank you Vurban and JMN. I have settled the past recent years on Diamond D as my heat cure acrylic. So, maybe I will shop for Diamond D self cure resin at an economical price. I am still a bit hesitant and would like to hear other feedback concerning which self cure resin is a favorite.
Thanks again.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thank you Vurban and JMN. I have settled the past recent years on Diamond D as my heat cure acrylic. So, maybe I will shop for Diamond D self cure resin at an economical price. I am still a bit hesitant and would like to hear other feedback concerning which self cure resin is a favorite.
Thanks again.
It is difficult to find all the shade options in one place unless you get it direct. Most supply houses are only stocking one or two shades and drop ship the rest, if they'll bother to do that.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Self cure resins are all in the similar category in my opinion. What makes one BETTER than the other is how the techs handle them and cure them.

While you can throw the two parts together on the bench and give it a few minutes it will get hard, however its dimensional accuracy and the amount of residual monomer will be drastically different than a properly mixed and cured by the IFU.

That being said your choice of material should be based upon what you are using it for and its intended purpose, If you are using it for quick same day repairs, add ons and transitional appliances just about any material will act the same.

If you are looking for something that is a bit more color stable and has less residual monomer in it for a more permanent solution, I would go with something like Ivoclars ProBase Cold, matches their Ivocap resin very closely and is very dimensionally accurate and works well in the fluid resin system/matrix style processing.

The GC line of NATURE-CRYL resin is another very versatile product that I use in my laboratory and love its properties. Can do fluid resin and repairs with good results.

Another good line is by Kulzer, The PALA line of coldcure works exceptionally well, and their PalaXpress ultra really is a bit different, they claim its the first coldcure high impact, It doesn't seem to be harder when you machine it but I can say that thin transitional partials post imd. extraction seem to hold up a bit better.

Like anything else PRICE is a variable and all of these resins will be a bigger investment over KEYSTONES, I prefer them and feel them make me more money in the long run with any of them.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I use probase cold for repairs.

D

dborla01

Reaction score
Thank you Kraver and John for your input.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
At this point, my main concern is colormatch.
The rest is, as John said, fairly equal.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
If you are concerned about color match--- use the same brand and shade you process with for your cold cure work. Easy. If you use premium A for process-- carry the quality over. Cheap? Cheap.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I am using Ivobase cold too for repairs. I find the color match almost universal and if I taper the fracture wide enough it is almost undetectable.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am using Ivobase cold too for repairs. I find the color match almost universal and if I taper the fracture wide enough it is almost undetectable.
Probase cold almost picks up the surrounding color.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Sorry I meant to say Probase Cold...

Ryanendres01

Ryanendres01

Reaction score
I like repairing with the Ivobase material on Diamond D and Ivocap matches well and the acrylic is stackable. Easier for me to sculpt. probase is great as well but a bit to runny for me and color is not as on point as I would like.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
You do repairs on the ivobase? Wow, way to go above and beyond.

Ryanendres01

Ryanendres01

Reaction score
Always experimenting. One of the most fun things in being a technician. I try to put my efforts and thoughts into my cases as if it were my own loved one. Whatever makes it look better and fit better all translates to happy patients. If it makes it bit easier on me that's always a plus i'll take.:)