Jump to digital

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am looking around for the jump into digital, getting a scanner, software probably 3shape or maybe exocad, then, would outsource to mill or print on formlabs 2. There is so much out there I just do not know where to even begin. I don't want to make a poor financial decision.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Strictly for removable?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Sorry, mainly removable. I am trained in C+B as well but definitely would not be my main focus. If I were asked to do fixed I would design and outsource probably just stain it myself. He wants to print custom trays, design bars, frameworks, print denture base, ect.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Sorry, mainly removable. I am trained in C+B as well but definitely would not be my main focus. If I were asked to do fixed I would design and outsource probably just stain it myself. He wants to print custom trays, design bars, frameworks, print denture base, ect.
Is your dr jumping as well? which ios?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
his doctor is his family right?

I would get the removable module with 3Shape and forget about exocad. You'll be able to print the denture bases on the Form2 and mill gradient PMMA - or Ivoclar Telio CAD for the teeth. For this application a PM3 or PM5 would be perfect for you.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
I only have 3Shape but the other department in our Lab runs ExoCad. 3Shape is great and we use to for basically all our R&D projects and I test out all the modules and they cover pretty much everything you could want to do presently or in the future, however it is expensive. Base software fees and then annual fees add up quick and can be pricey, vs exocad which is one license purchase and your done.

That being said I wholly support and recommend 3Shape especially because it works great for outsourcing or printing yourself with the FormLabs, but if you want to make sure before investing a lot of cash into it, this is a good point to consider.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
My dr is family itero.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am familiar with 3shape so my learning curve would be smaller, exo is alien to me. But I am 30 and have a brain so I could figure it out.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
well, you're "family" will use Trios soon with the new ivoclar denture bite scanning tools :) - or should look into it.

either way, not to say you couldn't figure out exocad - i'm just not a fan of exocad's denture module. (we have it all here....)

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am leaning 3shape, but am not adverse to exocad.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
let's put it this way. Especially in america - we are disproportionately fixated on 3Shape. If you go CAD denture - it's one thing about the software, awhole another thing about the manufacturing.

The last thing you want is to invest into Exocad just to realize the materials working with it in EU are not US approved. Massive pain in the ass but that is what happens in the US with heightened regulatory.

I really do think an Ivoclar PM5 with D2000 and Trios is the perfect Trifecta for you

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Ya, I am leaning ivoclar as well have always liked their products.