Ivoclar Ivobase Investing

G

Gman

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with the ivobase system investing technique. I tried investing directly using type III stone but no matter how many coats of tinfoil substitute the stone sticks to the cured denture. The ivobase video suggest using silicone on the waxup then flow type III stone over to invest. The silicone is expensive. Has anyone found a cheaper, successful method to invest that will leave the processed acrylic stone free and smooth?

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Hi Gman,

Where I always found that stone would stick to the acrylic (no matter the processing method) was if during boil out I let the wax liquefy before opening the flask. When this happens the wax soaks into the stone and then no amount of separator will work. I worked out in my equipment how long to "boil-out" the flask to just soften the wax enough to be able to open the flask and then peel out the majority of the wax, then I would flush the mold with boiling water to remove any remaining wax.

Also, I know you said you are using Type III stone for flasking, just make sure it is not a resin reinforced stone. We have found that the resin in the stone will heat up enough to bond with the acrylic on the denture.

I hope this helps! Let me know.

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
I have found that when the stone is setting it can release enough heat to really complicate thing by melting the wax; especially you set the flask into heated water. I place my flasks in room temperature water until the stone is through the exothermic phase, then I heat soak it to soften the wax at 125F for 30min. Don't get cheap with the separator either.

J

jeppe

Reaction score
Gman, after boiling out try cooling the flask in cold water before applying separating fluid. Helps a bit but still the result won't be as good as with traditional boiling method.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I hear alcote doesn't work well with the ivobase unit.

T

Tooth_Fairy

Reaction score
I would suggest a product called Flexistone. You apply it to the wax up and the teeth before you invest the top half of the flask. It perfectly captures every detail of your wax up. After deflasking it peels right off the acrylic. No need for shell blaster or anything else.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

T

Tooth_Fairy

Reaction score
I calculated the Flexistone costs about $5 per arch. Well worth it in my opinion. It saved you a lot of finishing time.

J

J Pierce

Reaction score
Flexi-stone is amazing!! I think Zahn has it on special now for 189.00! Which is still WAY too much, but it works well!!

T

Tooth_Fairy

Reaction score
Flexi-stone is amazing!! I think Zahn has it on special now for 189.00! Which is still WAY too much, but it works well!!
I use green flexistone. It's a bit more ridgit and less expensive.

J

J Pierce

Reaction score
I didn't realize there was a green Flexi-Stone? We use Flexi-Stone Plus.. Nice to know there's a cheaper alternative

T

Tooth_Fairy

Reaction score
The Plus is more elastic, more silicone like. The regular Flexistone is more ridgit and when you cut it with a blade it's has a gritty feeling to it.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
$5 per arch using Flexi-Stone. IMO, thats expensive. There are other materials that work
just as well for less money. Try Bite registration material from Patterson. Goes along way using
a thin layer, facial/buccal comes out clean.

T

Tooth_Fairy

Reaction score
$5 per arch using Flexi-Stone. IMO, thats expensive. There are other materials that work
just as well for less money. Try Bite registration material from Patterson. Goes along way using
a thin layer, facial/buccal comes out clean.
I haven't tried that yet. What processing technique do you use?

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
I process with the Ivobase machines, using High Impact Preference. Investing with buff stone and plaster,
topping off with mounting stone. Seems that this type of processing using electric as the heat source will dry
out the investment materials casing them to become more hard/solid. This technique works very well.

T

Tooth_Fairy

Reaction score
I process with the Ivobase machines, using High Impact Preference. Investing with buff stone and plaster,
topping off with mounting stone. Seems that this type of processing using electric as the heat source will dry
out the investment materials casing them to become more hard/solid. This technique works very well.
Ok, I was just curious because I use Ivocap. I haven't had a chance to mess with the Ivobase system yet. But no problems with the bite material?

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Same technique with Ivocap. No issues with bite material.

J

J Pierce

Reaction score
What is the imp material from Patterson?

J

jkelm91

Reaction score
We invest with buff stone and top with flostone, boil out for a total of 11 min so the wax doesnt soak into the stone, I also use Justi wax solvent and a toothbrush just to scrub a little. Dont skimp on the separator, three thick coats to make it shine. And i have minimal problems with stone on the acrylic

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
We invest with buff stone and top with flostone, boil out for a total of 11 min so the wax doesnt soak into the stone, I also use Justi wax solvent and a toothbrush just to scrub a little. Dont skimp on the separator, three thick coats to make it shine. And i have minimal problems with stone on the acrylic
I hear the wax solvent, is another culprit in stone sticking.