iTero + exocad margin problems

user name

user name

Reaction score
I got an iTero scan; iTero says everything is good from them. My crown bottoms wont snap to the margin marked by itero. Ive sent the case back to them for reprocessing so it could be tried both ditched and unditched...same results. They insist its an Exo problem. Even if I try to correct the margin, it still stays goofy like this...
margin.PNG

Any ideas? Im lost.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I got an iTero scan; iTero says everything is good from them. My crown bottoms wont snap to the margin marked by itero. Ive sent the case back to them for reprocessing so it could be tried both ditched and unditched...same results. They insist its an Exo problem. Even if I try to correct the margin, it still stays goofy like this...
View attachment 26388

Any ideas? Im lost.

Sometimes we get weird stuff like the crown bottoms being filled in so you can't see inside of the crown. We usually just get the models and scan them. It never seems to be Itero's fault.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Sometimes we get weird stuff like the crown bottoms being filled in so you can't see inside of the crown. We usually just get the models and scan them. It never seems to be Itero's fault.
My guess is the holes weren't filled or there was a poor scan.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
This is just a guess. Before marking the margin go to expert, right click and select edit mesh. Circle the whole thing and click close holes. Go back to wizard and try the margin again. Maybe have weird hole or fold in the mesh.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Or try inverting the mesh in expert mode.

user name

user name

Reaction score
When I open the scans in Exocad, they usually look like this, with the crown just floating in space with no attaching to the rest of the model, and they work well.
closed.PNG

The cases I have problems with where the exo margin wont adapt to the iTero margin always hve the prep still attached to the rest of the model, like this.
open.PNG

I don't believe Im doing anything different; it has to be how itero is processing the scans, no?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
When I open the scans in Exocad, they usually look like this, with the crown just floating in space with no attaching to the rest of the model, and they work well.
View attachment 26412

The cases I have problems with where the exo margin wont adapt to the iTero margin always hve the prep still attached to the rest of the model, like this.
View attachment 26411

I don't believe Im doing anything different; it has to be how itero is processing the scans, no?

send the stuff to exo support they can tell you whats the problem Germans ok but no bad support !!!

user name

user name

Reaction score
send the stuff to exo support they can tell you whats the problem Germans ok but no bad support !!!
I just sent it to iTero pleading for help. I have been in contact with my exo reseller, but they don't know what the problem is. When the scans show up with no sulcus, things work great.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
send to exo support straight !!

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
View attachment 26412

View attachment 26411

The problem appears to be holes in scan mesh. MesioBuccal of mesio proximal wall in recibe picture and also in the proximal wall in line with the central groove....tiny holes. Save the imported iTero scan as stl or copy if its already in stl format. Open copied in EXO.....select tooth #...and crown....finish....next...orientation...next....this poema up margin marking window. Don't mark!
Click on expert mode... Right click....select edit mesh. Select area on prep diré or entire are of prep yo include sulcus using surface or through and through. ....select close holes. The mesh should now be ready for marking margins.

Sometimes there are fragmented data that corrupts the margin marking procedure. In edit mode ... Select click on surface.... Then invert ....if there is a deletrle option then delete. Click again on the scan and select close holes... Scanvin now ready to mark margins. Try these two options.... One or the other should work......

user name

user name

Reaction score
[email protected]

try this with a link to the whole file or on the other f.....
Sent an email, attached files. I received a quick response that seemed to be personally written, not an auto response. It said, because of the volume of email we receive, we are unable to reply to individual emails from this address.:confused:

user name

user name

Reaction score
The problem appears to be holes in scan mesh. MesioBuccal of mesio proximal wall in recibe picture and also in the proximal wall in line with the central groove....tiny holes. Save the imported iTero scan as stl or copy if its already in stl format. Open copied in EXO.....select tooth #...and crown....finish....next...orientation...next....this poema up margin marking window. Don't mark!
Click on expert mode... Right click....select edit mesh. Select area on prep diré or entire are of prep yo include sulcus using surface or through and through. ....select close holes. The mesh should now be ready for marking margins.

Sometimes there are fragmented data that corrupts the margin marking procedure. In edit mode ... Select click on surface.... Then invert ....if there is a deletrle option then delete. Click again on the scan and select close holes... Scanvin now ready to mark margins. Try these two options.... One or the other should work......
I had reseller tech remote in. He also thought it was holes. Did as you said but still no luck. Its not just the one I posted a shot of; its everytime the scans show up from iTero with sulcus intact.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
its typical itero, how are you receiving files?

Truth is they (Itero) does a TON of post processing, when you receive a perfectly ditched scan you can see all of the data they fill in. The old style scanner does not even give the provision to receive a scan unaltered. The new Element scanner the client has the opportunity to send the lab raw scans. My lab has the highest end package where I can change margins and produce models anywhere. It was $6500 one time investment that I feel in my butthole every time I fire up the computer.

user name

user name

Reaction score
its typical itero, how are you receiving files?

Truth is they (Itero) does a TON of post processing, when you receive a perfectly ditched scan you can see all of the data they fill in. The old style scanner does not even give the provision to receive a scan unaltered. The new Element scanner the client has the opportunity to send the lab raw scans. My lab has the highest end package where I can change margins and produce models anywhere. It was $6500 one time investment that I feel in my butthole every time I fire up the computer.
Probably foolishly, I believe that's the same -full partner that I bought in to. I haven't yet changed one of their margins, but when the sulcus shows up, that's when my exo wont adapt to their margin. Needless to point out...I don't know my way around a computer. Ive been sitting here for an hour trying to figure out how to send the problem case to dmonwaxa.Banghead

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Out biggest problem on scans are proximal margins, the older scanner has issues in these places, 3shape model builder has some issues OFTEN when the die cut line and the ditch line has some odd triangles it doesn't want to produce a die. I have yet to have an issue with the margin line not being smooth. While I can produce a bitchen model and a crown thats balls on I have had some issues with fit in the mouth. EVERY SINGLE time I can prove the scan error. This client is looking to upgrade to the element scanner which I hope will help him/us

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Sent an email, attached files. I received a quick response that seemed to be personally written, not an auto response. It said, because of the volume of email we receive, we are unable to reply to individual emails from this address.:confused:
Support@exocad.com

user name

user name

Reaction score
Heres a couple pics...

This is what I see when I open the case. No problem

one.PNG

But this is what exo tries to place.

two.PNG
If I move the margin down to what itero marked, when I hit 'next' it will show my margin gone wild, encompassing most of the quad. Im not going to keep boring you guys with my incompetence. They don't call it 'user error' for nothing. Its got to be me.

user name

user name

Reaction score
It was worth a try. Heres the response..

Thank you for using an product based on exocad DentalCAD. Please be advised that exocad GmbH is a pure technology provider. Our software is distributed through our partners who build up the CAD/CAM systems and sell them as their own product/brand to final consumers.
Please bear with me but for this reason we offer 3rd level support only. We do not (and are not allowed to) offer support to end users. Please contact your distributor for software support.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

With best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Top Bottom