Intaglio surface of E.max

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Alright, this is what my Ivoclar sales weasel (really a good guy) but that's my nomenclature for such a career path :)

-He states that NO sandblasting should occur after the reaction layer has been removed.
-Etching with HF for 20 secs is the only recommended protocol with E.MAX (Empress Esthetic is different)
-When asked, what if some glaze gets on the intaglio surface. A light sandblast 20-30 p.s.i. in that specific area is not going to be an issue.
-When asked, so it's okay to sandblast the crown to remove the reaction layer but not before it's sent out, it's not like you're reaching the press temps again, so what gives, why the hoopla about sandblasting....the answer, is because sandblasting can change the crystalline structure between the lithium disilicates and too much sandblasting can change this.
-What if your Dentist uses some type of acid to etch already (i.e. Apex interface). The answer is our acid is almost always stronger and their (phosphoric, nitrate) acid is more for killing the debris from trying it in than etching the lithium disilicate.

If anyone else has anything else, please feel free to chime in.......

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I think there is a huge difference between too much pressure and too much sandblasting.

J

JayDO

Reaction score
-What if your Dentist uses some type of acid to etch already (i.e. Apex interface). The answer is our acid is almost always stronger and their (phosphoric, nitrate) acid is more for killing the debris from trying it in than etching the lithium disilicate.

If anyone else has anything else, please feel free to chime in.......

For the most part, phosphoric etch is used on dentin, not ceramic. And yes it is weaker than HF etch. Some docs use phosphoric to clean out try in paste but it isn't necessary since try in is water soluable.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
Sorry, I should of been more clear, these "reps" were also from the technical side of the house not the sales weasels, I sent out an email this morning to my sales weasel to find out what he's telling folks the current protocol and waiting for a reply, which I'll post.

I get the feeling you do not like sales folks......that's a shame, there are some good ones out there.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
i dont sandblast, only because its the manufacturers rec., I assume they have put more time and money into R&D than I ever have or will, so I follow their instructions. May not cause problems if you do blast, but if it saves me a trip to the sandblaster, then im all for it. I acid etch for 20 sec. , rinse, steam, box. None of my docs bond them anyways I dont think...